PDA

View Full Version : pre-loading syringes question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RobLL
Tue, Jan-29-08, 23:27
It is awkward to cart around two vials of insulin worth $100 (Lantus and Regular, the later from Walmart), and risk leaving in a kids fridge, the car getting hot. Is there any reason on a two or three day trip just simply loading up a few syringes with Lantus, and a few more with Regular, zip locking them in a bag with another zip lock of ice? I cannot think offhand of any hazzard of transferring a little insulin into a sterile syringe, and then keeping it cool until I use it.

Likewise when I go overseas I would like to leave just enough Lantus for the time I am on vacation, and transfer the rest in the vial to another sterile insulin container. Problems?

Dr. Bernstein does discuss that if you re-use your needles you will possibly inject polymerized insulin into the vial.

Lottadata
Wed, Jan-30-08, 09:24
I've traveled with R, and I just put it into a cooler with some blue ice packs, making sure it wasn't touching them. I always prefilled syringes for meals for the day, but not for more than a day. They worked fine.

Lantus is MUCH more sensitive than R, as I understand it. Depending on your Lantus dose, a better solution might be to get your doctor to prescribe the pens or even give you samples. The docs are being flooded with free Lantus pen samples right now by the drug company. Each pen is 30 ml or 300 units, so you could take the pen along and if it gets cooked, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I was using a very small dose of lantus--2 or 3 units a day and didn't trust the pen to deliver it accurately, so I used a syringe to withdraw the Lantus from the Pen which my doc gave me as a free sampe. It worked very well for me for over a month without contaminating the Lantus.