PDA

View Full Version : [BFL] obsessing over food

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

reneny
Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:55
I just am obsessing over getting the diet right on this. My biggest question is:

How many carbs should I use for my first meal after a workout? Maybe if someone answers that, I can adjust the rest of my daily menu. I'm not sure if I should stay low carb or just follow the darn book. I just hate to give up the oils and such if I follow the low fat diet in the book.

I have already looked at other people's menus but they still don't give me a clue as to how to adapt my own personal diet.

lisaf
Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:27
Kathryn -

This is really a YMMV thing. If you look at Nat's journal, she's really upped her carbs in the last few weeks. Personally, I've stuck to 50-70 g of carbs and followed a pretty typical low-carb diet spaced out over 5-6 meals a day. I'm trying to increase my protein intake up to about 150 g -- which is very challenging. Soy protein powder is my new best friend! Feel free to check out my journal, it might help a bit.

Good luck!

Lisa

Natrushka
Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:10
Kathryn, you need to decide how many carbs you're going to start out with. You should have at least 30g ECC a day - usually around 40-60g before fiber is deducted. Then divide the total by 6 and be sure to get at least that amount with every meal.

Post lifting workout it is more important that you get your protein in within that hour window. If you are eating adequate protein every 2 or 3 hours then your body will get what it needs. There is one school of thought that believes you need higher glycemic carbs post lifting workout to push the amino acids into the muscles - and there is another that doesnt.

I have made great gains in muscle eating more carbs (80-100g) a day; Marlaine, Dani and Beth have also eating less carbs (30-40g) It is something you will have to play around with.

Nat

reneny
Thu, Mar-07-02, 16:13
Yes, I have been reading about the post workout carb debate and I am more confused than ever. That is why I am asking. They also are saying to use hi-GI foods after, which baffles me as well. There is a big huge article about it in Muscle and Fitness April 2002.

What I am thinking of doing is doing most of my carbs for the day in my post workout meal. Then eating lower and lower carbs as the day goes on. That is what Porter Freeman did when he did BFL.