PDA

View Full Version : LC virgin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rhianwen
Tue, Jan-22-08, 20:52
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks now and decided it was about time I said hi.

I started LC on 1/1/08, on the recommendation of my doctor. I had gone to her with concerns about how difficult I find it to lose weight. I'm not hugely overweight, only hope to lose about 10 kilos (around 22 pounds I believe), but I've been fighting a losing battle with this weight for the past few years... always trying to lose, but always slowly gaining instead.

Talk about frustrating!

I've had the same experiences as many of you, always being hungry, never feeling satisfied, and of course I was addicted to carbs. Had been a vegetarian for many years prior to starting to eat meat again about 1.5 years ago - I suspect this helped worsen things!

My doctor suspected insulin resistance as a result of a number of factors, including my family history (cousin with diabetes and sister with PCOS), and the fact that I gain most of the weight in my tummy (oh joy). She seems to be one of the enlightened few who consider LC acceptable :lol: She gave me a small book about a diet called Ketosystem... from what I can tell its basically like Atkins.

I'd never considered trying LC before that. Like everyone else I was brainwashed by the media.

However, I thought I'd give it a shot.

So, been at it 3 weeks now. Lost ok the first couple of weeks - a few pounds, nothing dramatic, but better than the absolutely nothing I'm used to and reasonable considering I don't have that much to lose.

Didn't lose anything last week... very frustrating!

However, this is by far the easiest diet I've ever tried. I'm amazed by the fact that I don't really feel hungry like I used to. I mean sure, I get hungry around meal times, but its not an all-consuming all-day can't-think-about-anything-except-food kind of thing anymore. That by itself is a great improvement LOL.

So I'm sticking with it, with the addition of a small amount of carbs in the future, hopefully permanently, and I'm crossing my fingers that the weight shifts on its own!

Kisal
Tue, Jan-22-08, 21:29
Welcome! Don't give up! I don't know the specifics of your plan, but on Atkins, a person with 22 lbs to lose can expect to lose about 2 lbs during the first 2 weeks. During weeks 3, 4 and 5, weight loss may be very slow, or stop altogether. However, you may find that you continue to lose inches during this time, so don't get discouraged! Just pay attention to how your clothing fits. By the 6th week, if not before, you should notice a drop in pounds again.

Best of luck to you! :wave:

RDS
Tue, Jan-22-08, 21:30
Welcome and good luck on your journey!