PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Karla
Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:25
Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I have been lurking for about a week.

My name is Karla and I have been low-carbing since August 2000. Before that, over a period of five years I had gained close to 100 pounds without knowing why. I kept asking my doctor for help, but all he suggested was riding my exercise bike for 20 minutes a day. The only problem was that every time I tried that, it took about 2 minutes before I had that cold, clammy feeling you get just before you faint. It took moving to Vancouver, BC and a new doctor to discover that I was the new poster child for anemia and that my thyroid gland was napping.

Well, once those problems were solved I stopped gaining weight and felt a lot better, but I still wasn't losing weight. To be honest, I didn't try that hard because the food in Vancouver is terrific and it was a temporary move (excuse number 73, I think).

When we returned home to Massachusetts I tried to follow a low-fat diet, but couldn't stick to it because ... well, I don't have to explain that to y'all. I had never heard of low-carb diets until my father suggested that I read Dr. Atkins' book. After doing so I decided that I could follow any diet for two weeks and dove into the induction diet. My husband, partly to be supportive and partly out of curiosity, followed it too, even at work.

After two weeks we both noticed health benefits: our blood pressure went back to normal, my chronically puffy ankles deflated completely, his GIRD disappeared immediately, etc. We were hooked! and now his gout seems to have gone away as well. Of course we do love the fact that we can eat ice cream, cheesecake, nuts, cheese, etc.; all the foods we used to eat, but stopped because we believed all that low-fat nonsense.

In the first nine months I lost 45 pounds, my cholesterol dropeed 65 points the first month, tryglicerides plummeted, etc. I have another 45 pounds to lose. The reason I haven't done so already is that I foolishly decided to take the summer off so that I could eat a little more fruit (but not bread or french fries or pasta). That turned into spending over a year in maintenance mode. Well, I didn't gain any weight back (Halleluiah!!), but neither did I lose. So I started dieting again a few weeks ago.

I think that I'm losing so slowly this time because I've also been working out with weights, but the last pounds definitely isn't coming off as quickly as the first ones. I just tell myself to be patient.

gwilson38
Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:47
Glad to have U with us. It sounds like U have seen the benefits of low-carbing beyond just weight loss. Im sure U will see a loss of either weight or inches in the near future! Keep up the good work!

razzle
Tue, Mar-05-02, 20:03
what a great success story you have going! congrats to both you and your hubbie--not just for the weight loss, but for the improved health, too. And congratulations for maintaining and not gaining anything back during your break into fruits--maybe you have an advanced picture now of what maintenance will look like for you!

patience, which may always be a virtue, is pretty much a necessity for those of us on LC with slow metabolisms or encroaching middle age (like me!) or who are very insulin resitant. It'll come off eventually...just do the day by day work.

So happy to have you join the board!

Karla
Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:56
Thanks for the encouragement! I know the rest of the weight will disappear eventually. But I just discovered that my waist and hips have shrunk by an inch each (YAAY!); that makes it a lot easier to be patient. And knowing that there are lots of other friendly, helpful people out there sharing the same experience is a good feeling, too.

kakeef
Wed, Mar-06-02, 14:45
Hi Karla,
Welcome aboard. I am relatively new to this sight also. I have only been a member for two weeks but I have met so many nice people who are very helpful. We are all in the same boat here, looking to be thinner and healthier. Best of luck to you and your husband. :wave:

Karla
Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:24
Thanks, Katie, and good luck to you, too. Now that we have found a sensible WOE there's no reason we all can't succeed.

Karla

wbahn
Fri, Mar-08-02, 17:04
Sounds like you have this WOL nailed! Good going!

I really liked how you decided to "take the summer off" to increase your enjoyment of a few sensible "bad" things but kept your head about you and basically did Maintenance. What you demonstrated is that you can do so and not go back to your old habits and gain a bunch of weight.

Now you come back to a more deliberate effort to finish off.

It will be interesting to find out if your rate of loss is more or less than it was before - the long period on an LC maintenance level might have made some big changes in your insulin resistance.

Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

Karla
Fri, Mar-08-02, 18:56
Wbahn,

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I did prove to myself that I really can maintain the same weight for a long time eating this way, which is very good news. The key for me seems to be finding ways to make low-carb versions of the foods I really like, which includes anything chocolate, Indian food, ice cream, etc.

This round I spent two weeks on induction and lost 5 pounds, but it has been several weeks and I have only lost one more pound. That was the day after I really craved something sweet, so I whipped up some heavy cream with unsweetened cocoa, vanilla, and Splenda. The next morning I was a pound lighter....HMMMM.

BTW, I confess to printing out your cheesy engineer jokes for my DH, who is both a mathematician and an engineer. Anyone listening in on me this afternoon would have thought I was crazy, laughing wildly to myself. Thanks

Karla