PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ottawa, Canada

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

januaria
Mon, Jan-07-08, 00:24
Hello, All, :wave:

My user ame is Januaria; my actual name is April, and I am from Ottawa Canada, although I was born and raised in Scotland. I had a liver transplant in 2004; when the docs (marvelous place London hospital) gave me my anti-rejection meds, they explained that I may develop diabetes - some, do, they said - some don't. I thought I was safe, because to my knowledge, no one in my family had it.

I was ravenously hungry right after the transplant, and put on 30 pounds between July 2004 and May 2006. I tried low carb and lost a bit of it, but my docs went ballistic when I said I was on Atkins, and said to try the GI Diet, designed by a Canadian doctor instead. I lost 14 pounds on it, but lost interest in about twelve weeks, which seems to be the limit of time I can remain on a diet.

Well, in spite of my blood being teste every month or so, no one caught that my blood glucose was getting high - it was fine at the time of transplant. In june 2007 - the day before my brithday, I was diagosed with full-blown diabetes, probably, not not certainly, type 2.

I went out immediately and joined weight watchers, which I thought the most sensible of the weight loss programs. I started on the CORE, which is based on whole natural foods, which suited me perfectly. I also went to chapters and bought every book on managing diabetes that I could find. I began to walk a half hour every day immediately, which worked out to about one mile.

Several weeks later, I had my first appointment with my endo. She could not give me metformin due to my liver issues, and I refused glyburide due to heart disease being prevalent in both sides of my family. So, she gave me NPH 'background' insulin to take every night. I am ow on 20 units - and it isn't working.

My weight at the weight watchers scale was coming off nicely until I began the insulin therapy; then it slowed down and then stopped. Then I began to gain, on the same amount and kind of food. Although I was sticking to it, I was chagrined, and then angry, when the 'instructor' seemed not to believe me. I stopped going.Still, I had managed to lose 35 pounds from my heaviest weight in April 2006.

Then, in October, I sensed my mood slipping lower and my motivation waning then petering right out. It became serious by mid November. I called my nurse-eductator and she recommended a light therapy box.

My husband, who was frightened, went out that day and got me one. I had thought it was only for seasonal affective disorder, but we were desperate, and decided to try it. Also, since my diagnosis, my sleep pattern, due to a circadian rythm disorder, had completely switched. No matter what I did, I could not fall asleep before dawn. Now, I still get about seven hours a night and wake refreshed - but I go to bed at 6 am and get up at 1 pm - which is why, if you read my journal, you will find me eating 'lunch' at 7 pm. However, this is very inconvenient.

Darned if the box didn't work! The first day, I was very drowsy and slept on and off for nearly 24 hours; on day two, I was less drowsy, but slept a lot that day too. By day three, I was actually feelig a wee bit better. By the second week there was a marked improvement in mood, and now I am fine. I still have to sit in front of it for thirty minutes each 'morning' or my mood slips.

Well, around Christmas - about two weeks before, I realised that the insulin was just not going to work. I had had an A1C of 5.5 - which had to be a mistake since my daily test results were about 10. She was unconcerned though. I think the A1C ought to have been re-tested, and I am going to do that tomorrow myself.

Probably due to the stress of Christmas, and eating the odd treat, my BG started to rise. It was up to 15 by Dec 23 and I began getting chest and jaw pain. I was frantic. I sent my results to my nurse, who was on vacation.

Frankly, I am afraid that my doc is not doing right by me, and it is not easy to change in Canada with socialized medicine. So on Dec 24, I went back on Atkins, since it had worked before, and then I joined this list. From the Atkins group, I found paleo, since it was being discussed, and thought it might be best for me due to my food preferences of nuts, seeds, berries, fruit and vegetables.

It was easy to give up dairy. I had never liked butter or creamy sauces, but I did eat yogurt, frozen yogurt and cheese. I substituted almond milk and coconut milk, and found a recipe for almond-flax muffins to replace bread. Perfect!

Now I am on day 7, worried I am going to kill my kidneys, but desperate to bring my BG down to normal. I walked 3 miles today, and I have not been able to do that in over 20 years. Food tastes incredible. I have lost 4 pounds of fluid already.

However, on Jenny's Blog I saw that my muscle tissue will be depleted if my body does not get enough carbs to burn to support my brain. so now I am doubly frightened. I already have muscle wasting from liver disease and from past very low carb diets, such as the scarsdale and another 700 cal diet in the 80's.

I am putting these doubts aside for now, because I have more energy than in years - but I am peeing an awful lot - so my kidneys must be working hard.

So, we'll see what happens. The paleo is a snap for me. I am never hungry, and I don't get cravings until about an hour after I inject my nighttime insulin.

That's my story so far. I hope to contribute and also learn from all of you.

Rosebud
Mon, Jan-07-08, 01:39
Hello, All, :wave:

My user ame is Januaria; my actual name is April, and I am from Ottawa Canada, although I was born and raised in Scotland. I had a liver transplant in 2004; when the docs (marvelous place London hospital) gave me my anti-rejection meds, they explained that I may develop diabetes - some, do, they said - some don't. I thought I was safe, because to my knowledge, no one in my family had it.

I was ravenously hungry right after the transplant, and put on 30 pounds between July 2004 and May 2006. I tried low carb and lost a bit of it, but my docs went ballistic when I said I was on Atkins, and said to try the GI Diet, designed by a Canadian doctor instead. I lost 14 pounds on it, but lost interest in about twelve weeks, which seems to be the limit of time I can remain on a diet.

Well, in spite of my blood being teste every month or so, no one caught that my blood glucose was getting high - it was fine at the time of transplant. In june 2007 - the day before my brithday, I was diagosed with full-blown diabetes, probably, not not certainly, type 2.

I went out immediately and joined weight watchers, which I thought the most sensible of the weight loss programs. I started on the CORE, which is based on whole natural foods, which suited me perfectly. I also went to chapters and bought every book on managing diabetes that I could find. I began to walk a half hour every day immediately, which worked out to about one mile.

Several weeks later, I had my first appointment with my endo. She could not give me metformin due to my liver issues, and I refused glyburide due to heart disease being prevalent in both sides of my family. So, she gave me NPH 'background' insulin to take every night. I am ow on 20 units - and it isn't working.

My weight at the weight watchers scale was coming off nicely until I began the insulin therapy; then it slowed down and then stopped. Then I began to gain, on the same amount and kind of food. Although I was sticking to it, I was chagrined, and then angry, when the 'instructor' seemed not to believe me. I stopped going.Still, I had managed to lose 35 pounds from my heaviest weight in April 2006.

Then, in October, I sensed my mood slipping lower and my motivation waning then petering right out. It became serious by mid November. I called my nurse-eductator and she recommended a light therapy box.

My husband, who was frightened, went out that day and got me one. I had thought it was only for seasonal affective disorder, but we were desperate, and decided to try it. Also, since my diagnosis, my sleep pattern, due to a circadian rythm disorder, had completely switched. No matter what I did, I could not fall asleep before dawn. Now, I still get about seven hours a night and wake refreshed - but I go to bed at 6 am and get up at 1 pm - which is why, if you read my journal, you will find me eating 'lunch' at 7 pm. However, this is very inconvenient.

Darned if the box didn't work! The first day, I was very drowsy and slept on and off for nearly 24 hours; on day two, I was less drowsy, but slept a lot that day too. By day three, I was actually feelig a wee bit better. By the second week there was a marked improvement in mood, and now I am fine. I still have to sit in front of it for thirty minutes each 'morning' or my mood slips.

Well, around Christmas - about two weeks before, I realised that the insulin was just not going to work. I had had an A1C of 5.5 - which had to be a mistake since my daily test results were about 10. She was unconcerned though. I think the A1C ought to have been re-tested, and I am going to do that tomorrow myself.

Probably due to the stress of Christmas, and eating the odd treat, my BG started to rise. It was up to 15 by Dec 23 and I began getting chest and jaw pain. I was frantic. I sent my results to my nurse, who was on vacation.

Frankly, I am afraid that my doc is not doing right by me, and it is not easy to change in Canada with socialized medicine. So on Dec 24, I went back on Atkins, since it had worked before, and then I joined this list. From the Atkins group, I found paleo, since it was being discussed, and thought it might be best for me due to my food preferences of nuts, seeds, berries, fruit and vegetables.

It was easy to give up dairy. I had never liked butter or creamy sauces, but I did eat yogurt, frozen yogurt and cheese. I substituted almond milk and coconut milk, and found a recipe for almond-flax muffins to replace bread. Perfect!

Now I am on day 7, worried I am going to kill my kidneys, but desperate to bring my BG down to normal. I walked 3 miles today, and I have not been able to do that in over 20 years. Food tastes incredible. I have lost 4 pounds of fluid already.

However, on Jenny's Blog I saw that my muscle tissue will be depleted if my body does not get enough carbs to burn to support my brain. so now I am doubly frightened. I already have muscle wasting from liver disease and from past very low carb diets, such as the scarsdale and another 700 cal diet in the 80's.

I am putting these doubts aside for now, because I have more energy than in years - but I am peeing an awful lot - so my kidneys must be working hard.

So, we'll see what happens. The paleo is a snap for me. I am never hungry, and I don't get cravings until about an hour after I inject my nighttime insulin.

That's my story so far. I hope to contribute and also learn from all of you.
Hi April, let me see what I can do to reassure you.

Firstly, "Jenny's" statement about your muscle tissue being depleted if the body does not get enough carbs to support your brain is nothing but a load of codswallop! Absolute tosh! I'm sure "Jenny" means well, but she absolutely doesn't know what she is talking about.
There are some organs in our bodies that require glucose - note, not "carbs" as such - but this glucose can easily be supplied by a process called gluconeogenesis from ingested protein. Getting enough protein is also the key to not losing muscle. You don't need to fill up on nothing but protein, but as long as you are eating some meat, fish, eggs etc at every meal, you are sure to be getting enough.

As far as your kidneys are concerned, just because you are peeing plenty certainly doesn't mean there is a problem. Making them work should not be a problem, as long as your kidney function was normal to start with. I assume that you would have fairly regular blood tests, and I am sure you would have been told were there a problem with your kidneys. When we first start low carbing, we do tend to lose a lot of fluid. This is pretty normal. You should find that it should all settle down within a week or two.

Re your diabetes, have you read Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution? He is an insulin dependent diabetic himself, so understands a lot of the problems facing diabetics.

I trust your chest and neck pain has now settled? If it happens again, please seek medical help immediately.

I do hope you can feel more relaxed about your eating soon. And I also hope that your blood sugars will soon be under better control. :there:

Cheers,

Roz:rose:

Needlehole
Mon, Jan-07-08, 03:05
Firstly, "Jenny's" statement about your muscle tissue being depleted if the body does not get enough carbs to support your brain is nothing but a load of codswallop! Absolute tosh! I'm sure "Jenny" means well, but she absolutely doesn't know what she is talking about.
There are some organs in our bodies that require glucose - note, not "carbs" as such - but this glucose can easily be supplied by a process called gluconeogenesis from ingested protein. Getting enough protein is also the key to not losing muscle. You don't need to fill up on nothing but protein, but as long as you are eating some meat, fish, eggs etc at every meal, you are sure to be getting enough.

As far as your kidneys are concerned, just because you are peeing plenty certainly doesn't mean there is a problem. Making them work should not be a problem, as long as your kidney function was normal to start with. I assume that you would have fairly regular blood tests, and I am sure you would have been told were there a problem with your kidneys. When we first start low carbing, we do tend to lose a lot of fluid. This is pretty normal. You should find that it should all settle down within a week or two.

Agreed!!!!! :thup:

Goat Lady
Mon, Jan-07-08, 05:37
Hello and Welcome! :)

januaria
Tue, Jan-08-08, 04:44
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the reassurance. I am going ahead with the paleo anyway since I feel so wonderful on it. With every other 'diet' there was always a nagging idea at the back of my mind that as soon as I lost the weight, I could eat 'normally'. I always felt like an addict in rehab - rehab that wasn't taking.

This diet feels as if I am home at last. Like slipping into a comfortable old shoe. I am perfectly satisfied on it with no cravings at all. one. I suppose all of you feel that way too :)

Kisal
Tue, Jan-08-08, 22:38
Welcome, April! It's nice to have you here with us!