PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tiffany30
Sat, Dec-29-07, 02:30
ok so im really getting concerned with this dark line on the back of my neck and also the dark spots surrounding it. i have VERY irregular peroids and am not able to get pregnant. can anyone tell me whats going on????

Wifezilla
Sat, Dec-29-07, 05:56
PCOD?
"Patients suffering from polycystic ovarian disease ( PCOD ) have multiple small cysts in their ovaries ( the word poly means many). These cysts occur when the regular changes of a normal menstrual cycle are disrupted. The ovary is enlarged; and produces excessive amounts of androgen and estrogenic hormones. This excess, along with the absence of ovulation, may cause infertility. Other names for PCOD are polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or the Stein-Leventhal syndrome."
http://www.drmalpani.com/book/chapter15.html

oakdryad
Sat, Dec-29-07, 07:11
Yup, that sounds like PCOS (or PCOD) to me as well. Granted, I am not a doctor, but I have PCOS and had it for YEARS before finally getting a diagnosis.

That dark line has a name that I can't remember (something nigra or nigra something)...but it seems to be something that lots of women with PCOS have. There's a forum on this site as well where you can get lots of information. And then have a chat with your doctor and get some testing done.

Low carb eating helps a great deal with my symptoms...although they never entirely go away.

Good Luck!

cnmLisa
Sat, Dec-29-07, 11:17
That dark line has a name that I can't remember (something nigra or nigra something)...but it seems to be something that lots of women with PCOS have

acanthosis nigricans one of the many symptoms that many women with PCOS exhibit.

The diagnosis of PCOS is more from a constellation of symptoms--some women may not exhibit cysts on their ovaries and some may. In terms of lab work--usually it is more to see if you are insulin resistant but even if that comes out normal, also have your lipid panel evaluated, in addition to your thryoid function. PCOS is more a diagnosis of multiple symptoms--there is not a single test that will say yes you have it or no you don't.

Take a look at the PCOS area on this forum. It's wonderful with lots of insight from women who are living with it.

A low carb lifestyle is one of the best lifestyle changes you can make for PCOS. Talk with your women's health care provider to also make sure you are not suffering from other things as well such as a malfucntioning thyroid.

Welcome to the forum.

Lisa

PS--Wifezilla--I didn't mean to totally contradict you--just wanted the OP to know that in some cases cysts may not be present.

anglc
Sat, Dec-29-07, 11:45
Agreed. Sure sounds like PCOS/Insulin resistance.

But I don't want you to despair! I've got it too and guess what? I got pregnant twice (without fertility treatments) the first time was while on Induction! I have two beautiful, healthy kids - thanks to eating Low Carb!!!

LCing can REALLY improve your chances at conception and at feeling and looking better in general...

I'll be starting Induction after I finish breastfeeding my daughter after her Birthday (Jan. 3rd )

Best wishes!
Ang

maritsant
Sun, Dec-30-07, 09:42
The same thing happened to me. After a low carb lifestyle I got pregnant after 16 years of trying. My daughter is 2.6 years and very healthy. I am starting Induction On Jan. 1st. to lose the pounds again. Good luck.

Wifezilla
Sun, Dec-30-07, 10:01
No worries Lisa. I had just heard about PCOD...I don't know that much about it actually, but it was the first thing that popped in my head when I read her post. PLEASE fill in any missing info :D

Tiffany30
Sun, Dec-30-07, 13:06
WOW! Thank you all so much! My next question is what type of doctor do I go to for this. I dont have health ins. I went to a doc about 2 weeks ago about the dark line on my neck and he didnt tell me anything. I just paid $85 for him to talk about some park he bikes at. They did some blood work and said they would call but never did. Last week i finally got something in the mail from them. It was a lot of medical coding that i didnt understand along with a bill for $380. This is really scaring me. Im 23 and in Dallas, TX. If anyone knows what I can do about seeing a doc w/ no ins. and little money please let me know.

pennink
Sun, Dec-30-07, 13:14
I'm in Canada, I've had PCOS, undiagnosed until this year, but obviously had it. A dermatologist finally told me!

Now that I'm lowcarbing it's no longer an issue. I know a lot of people take Metformin, but low carbing works without meds. But you need to remember this is not a diet, but you must stick to this way of eating for good to control it.

It's why you probably found it so easy to gain weight, too. You do need your blood sugar tested (esp if you have the dark lines). Did you actually get the results in that letter? you might want to post what they found as a lot of people here can read med results.

Most doctors seem to overlook PCOS, or just treat symptoms without seeing the whole problem.
A friend of mine has diagnosed PCOS and is on the meds, but still has a lot of problems because she refuses to give up sugar and grains.

Visit ReginaW and read her blogs and posts. she knows a lot about PCOS.

anglc
Sun, Dec-30-07, 18:49
Without insurance I wouldn't even bother with docs.

Mind you this is my own opinion and based on my life experience... But know this, even WITH insurance - it's true - go to just about any doc and they will completely dismiss you! The sad reality is that when they're met with a patient with PCOS they become judgemental. They seem to think that the condition is somehow 'deserved' resulting from lack of self control, poor lifestyle choices, etc.

I have talked to SO many women whose docs simply put them on birth control pills - despite them wanting to conceive - with the mistaken notion that doing so will enhance fertility later... Not so!

Truth is that medicine has yet to discover if PCOS causes obesity or whether obesity causes PCOS. Most docs dismiss us because they believe that PCOS is the result of being FAT and that we chose to be fat. Never do they entertain the idea of carb addiction, the role of hormones, or anything that is beyond the control of the patient.

Sadly, though I can attest - getting pregnant while weighing over 250 is not something the body readily does for most women. Why? Because becoming pregnant while obese puts the baby and YOU at high risk. There's diabetes, eclampsia, miscarriage, and let's not even talk about how sore your back gets and how hard it is to sleep!

Now, should you insist on seeing a doctor then I would suggest one of two types. A general endocrinologist can assist you in determining what your hormones are up to. Women with PCOS have excess androgen (male hormones) production. Some women with PCOS are insulin resistant and can be greatly helped with oral diabetes medication. Your other option is a reproductive endocrinologist. These docs try to determine why conception is not taking place and try to bring hormones into harmony to increase your odds.

I highly suggest losing weight by going Low Carb first. It will help enhance your odds of not needing the doc's help and you'll have a better shot at a healthier pregnancy as well.

Please forgive me if I come off preachy - I don't mean to. But I've had some bitter experiences with doctors. It's very dehumanizing to feel judged and dismissed - it's something that doesn't help you attract the love and energy that will help you get pregnant... Believe me!

The dark spots on your neck are skin tags and another sign of insulin resistance...

You can start an at home experiment (if you don't mind blood) Get a glucose monitor and testing strips from the drug store. Begin checking your blood sugar first thing in the morning. Anything over 90 first thing in the morning while fasting is cause for concern. Also check 2 hours after eating something that contains carbs... Over 120? Again cause for concern.

Testing your sugars at home is SO much cheaper than lab tests. And it'll give you feedback on how what you're eating is affecting your body.

The doctor you saw SHOULD go over what tests were done, what the results were, and give you some direction too...

Hang in there! You're not alone!
~Ang

Tiffany30
Mon, Dec-31-07, 08:51
Wow! Thank you so much. You brought tears to my eyes. I didnt realize how common this is and knowing that I'm not the only one makes me feel so much better. I'm the type of person that needs a coach on me 24/7 to be able to stick to a diet. I don't know how to shop for low-carb anything. As far as the doc goes he didnt explain anything to me. I havent spoken to him since my visit he never called to explain my results or anything. I did fel like he dismissed me so I totally feel where you are coming from. Thank you soooo much for all your help.

mommycakes
Mon, Dec-31-07, 10:57
I just have to comment on Dr.'s. I'm from Canada where we don't pay to see the Dr. For the most part, I don't necessarily feel that they do as good a job as they could of caring about the patient. But how frustrating it must be to not only have to pay for it, but then have such a negative experience. I feel for you guys.

zorra_1
Mon, Dec-31-07, 11:55
I see an endocrinologist for this...

Initial visit: $300
Next consultation: $120
Last visit (maybe a WHOPPING 5 minutes): $70

And that's not including the $500 + in labwork (estradiol, testosterone, glucose, etc.).

Or the $640 pelvic ultrasound.

So it's definitely not something I would have been able to cover well without insurance. <Not trying to dissuade you from seeing a doctor about this, but didn't want you to be surprised about the potential costs.>

Do you have a local public health care facility/clinic? Just so that you don't waste time or money...I'd print off a ton of PCOS medical articles that mirror your own symptoms. Go in there informed.

LessLiz
Mon, Dec-31-07, 12:13
As far as the doc goes he didnt explain anything to me. I havent spoken to him since my visit he never called to explain my results or anything. I did fel like he dismissed me so I totally feel where you are coming from. Thank you soooo much for all your help.It's your life, and your health. Call the doctor's office and ask them to explain the results. Don't sit back and wait for them to call you. You must be assertive -- you have already paid to have this interpreted.

In all likelyhood you are insulin resistant or diabetic. If you do not eat low carb you are looking at a lifetime of medication and diabetic complications. The threat of that should function as your 24/7 coach to keep you motivated, since complications from diabetes includes blindness, amputations, strokes and early death.

It is easy to shop low carb -- read every label, including the labels on meat in the butcher section because that can be injected with solutions. Shop basically on the edges of the store -- meat, dairy, veggies both fresh and frozen -- and avoid processed stuff in the center of the store. And if you don't already now how, learn to cook. It will save you tons of money.

anglc
Mon, Dec-31-07, 22:52
LessLiz's advice is RIGHT on the $! And you'll do well to follow it! It's VERY frustrating to try to buy unprocessed meat - read the ingredients on 'All Natural' boneless chicken breasts for example, and yup = you'll find chicken broth as an ingredient... And let me tell you something - chicken broth has MSG additives that may be making the WHOLE population Insulin Resistant - namely MSG!

Monosodium Glutamate - a neurotoxin that makes the pancreas work overtime. Know that cliche about eating Chinese food and being hungry again an hour later? That's true because of MSG. And MSG is everywhere in processed food.

Want your head to explode? Read up on the alternative names for MSG and its affects... http://www.truthinlabeling.org/

But sticking to the outter aisles, reading every single label for additives, and sticking strictly to meats, egg, and cheese will help.

Once you're past Induction check out the recipes by George Stella - they are AWESOME and very doable! http://www.stellastyle.com/

I'm around - I'm a good cheerleader, and a good listener. If you truly want to do this then YOU will.

~Ang