PDA

View Full Version : Re-intro

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LowCarbNic
Tue, Dec-18-07, 18:22
Hi all, i am re-introducing myself here. I have been on a low glycemic index diet for about 6 months, and want to kick the loss into high gear, so am doing a ketogenic lower carb diet for a bit. I know- what a time to start (holidays). That is kind of why im here, for support. Unfortunately, I know myself/family/holidays spells cheating. But, i feel better just to start now, and cheated once on my holiday party (the 15th) and plan one more cheat on Christmas. Then, right back on. I suppose its good that I can go off, and right back on. I dont let myself go longer than 1 meal off normally, in this instance, 1-2 days max. I am here for the long -term and know that to be sane and practical, i need to be able to go on and off. Anyone else here that does this or if you have any advice for me, I sincerely appreciate it.

Regards,
Nicky

Kisal
Tue, Dec-18-07, 18:52
Hi! I wouldn't exactly say that I "cheat" on my plan, but it does vary over periods of time. Sometimes, I eat very lc, i.e. almost 0 carbs, for a period of weeks, and then eat slightly more carbs, but still lc, for a few weeks. I've been at this since 2004, and I don't obsess about every bite I put in my mouth. When I look at my records over a period of months, I seem to average between 5 and 30 grams of carbs/day, and that suits me fine. :)

I fully agree with you that whatever a person does in terms of their food plan, it has to be sane and reasonable and fit their lifestyle.

LiquidSYS
Wed, Dec-19-07, 11:12
Hi all, i am re-introducing myself here. I have been on a low glycemic index diet for about 6 months, and want to kick the loss into high gear, so am doing a ketogenic lower carb diet for a bit. I know- what a time to start (holidays). That is kind of why im here, for support. Unfortunately, I know myself/family/holidays spells cheating. But, i feel better just to start now, and cheated once on my holiday party (the 15th) and plan one more cheat on Christmas. Then, right back on. I suppose its good that I can go off, and right back on. I dont let myself go longer than 1 meal off normally, in this instance, 1-2 days max. I am here for the long -term and know that to be sane and practical, i need to be able to go on and off. Anyone else here that does this or if you have any advice for me, I sincerely appreciate it.

Regards,
Nicky

Well Nicky, sometimes it doesn't hurt to cheat every once in a while... But I wouldn't extend it to 1-2 days max. Why don't you just do 1 meal as a cheat every once in a while? The plan I use encourages cheating 1 day a week, however, it's very weight lifting intensive so it's sort of required. 1 Meal every two or three weeks isn't going to hurt you (unless the meal is a slice of cake with oreos, snickers and caramelo on it) =)

-Jesse

LowCarbNic
Thu, Dec-20-07, 08:01
Kisal- thanks for the welcome and info :)

LiquidSYS- thanks for the tips and info as well. I should clarify, that by 1-2 day cheat max, i mean 1-2 x's a year (ie: Christmas eve and Christmas) which is what i happen to have planned. I went off also for a cocktail party I threw a week ago, went right back on and am doing well! I understand what your saying- and i do agree frequent 1-2 day cheats would really mess up the progress! :P Thanks again, see u around.

~nicky