PDA

View Full Version : The scoop on Linus Pauling, Vit C, cancer

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Songwriter
Sun, Dec-16-07, 09:03
I saw a post by 'rightnow' and it contained a link to a Linus Pauling interview. In there, he makes some statements about Vit C and cancer that are startling. Does anyone have any insight regarding this? These are quite amazing results he states. (Lengthening the lives of cancer patients by several years!)

I don't even take Vit C anymore. I used to take it but it seems it lost favor. I get it in a Multi, that's all. I used to take 500mg to 1gm.

I also recall Linus Pauling not exactly enjoying much respect. Although, that could be the medical establishment rearing its ugly head.

Do you think Vit C is still a big deal?

INTERVIEW: http://members.aol.com/realmedia/pauling.html

Dodger
Sun, Dec-16-07, 09:19
To get enough vitamin C into the body to affect cancer cells requires the vitamin C to be injected. The body can't get enough in through digestion.

Zuleikaa
Sun, Dec-16-07, 09:27
I definitely do.

I've read a lot of Linus Pauling's original studies as well as other studies on vitamin C and IMHO it's impressive.

The understanding that I've taken away from these studies is that to obtain the pharmacalogical impact/benefit of vitamin C requires the application of a lot more vitamin C than the RDA and more than most studies/trials on the benefit of vitamin C use. Therefore, because enough is not used, there is little or no benefit shown.

To me, this doesn't discount the benefits of vitamin C because the much earlier studies, including those of Linus Pauling, showed consistent, positive results using much higher doses.

I tend to read a lot of studies on supplements and pay close attention to the supplement dose used in the study as well as the method of application and if any supplement "partners" are required for best results. Based upon my knowledge/research of the pharmacological dose for good results I see that a lot of these trials of supplements are designed to fail/show no impact.

I agree with Dodger.

To get the optimum benefit from vitamin C it has to be administered by injection or intravenously, as Linus Pauling did.

Songwriter
Sun, Dec-16-07, 09:41
To get the optimum benefit from vitamin C it has to be administered by injection or intravenously, as Linus Pauling did.

Did he do this himself or do you mean in studies? Was this done daily or what was the schedule. Intravenously, now, that would be a drag to have to do that to yourself!

I am most interested in Vit C as it relates to one with heart disease. (I got it.) Don't worry, I'm not going to go shoot up, I just need to start reading up on this more.

Do you think supplementing is a waste of time... you can't get enough to even make it worthwhile?

Nancy LC
Sun, Dec-16-07, 11:27
I think for heart disease (depending on what sort you have) look into the supplements that Dr. Davis recommends: Fish oil, D3, l-arginine, niacin, K2 and K, eliminating wheat and sugar for sure and probably most other grains as well.

Read his blog, it is excellent: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com

Zuleikaa
Sun, Dec-16-07, 15:11
Did he do this himself or do you mean in studies? Was this done daily or what was the schedule. Intravenously, now, that would be a drag to have to do that to yourself!I meant in studies.

Do you think supplementing is a waste of time... you can't get enough to even make it worthwhile? I don't think supplementing is a waste of time. You can get enough to make it worthwhile, you just can't get enough to make it worthwhile to treat cancer or have the greater benefit that you'll get when it's used intravenously.

Also there's a timing issue. You can take up to 2 grams every hour throughout the day. When your body has had enough for the day, you will get diarrhea. At that point you know 1 gram less is your body's tolerance level. The body can tolerate more vitamin C intravenously that through mouth.

Your body's tolerance level increases and decreases depending on what the vitamin C needs to deal with. The more infection/toxins, the greater the need/tolerance.

Just try to get your vitamin C in a powder or capsul form containing the least amount of fillers possible.

cs_carver
Tue, Dec-18-07, 09:34
Do you think supplementing is a waste of time... you can't get enough to even make it worthwhile?

Supplementing C to treat existing cancer? Agreed, what you can do with OTC oral supplements might not be the best and should not be the only treatment. Supplementing lots more than the RDA to treat or prevent any number of lesser problems? All the time. I take 7 grams / day, spread into three doses, and I will go a lot higher when I feel ill.

And for other supplements, the effective dose is much less dramatic.

Trouble is, it's an n=1 study and there's only one rat that matters. What works for me, with my genetics and environmental profile, may have nothing at all to do with what works for you.

Nancy LC
Tue, Dec-18-07, 09:43
If I had cancer I'd do what I'm already doing. Follow a paleo diet, limit my carbs extremely closely (most cancers feed on glucose), and take Vit. D3.

Zuleikaa
Tue, Dec-18-07, 09:50
If I had cancer I'd do what I'm already doing. Follow a paleo diet, limit my carbs extremely closely (most cancers feed on glucose), and take Vit. D3.I'd definitely take a lot of vitamin D if I had cancer!!!

Gostrydr
Wed, Dec-19-07, 17:27
C is vital for immune function. I had a bout with testicular cancer and I was doing over 15,000 grams IV and it improved my health dramatically. Intraveneous Vit C therapy has a ton of great applications

C is probrably our most important vitamin. There is really no toxic level for it and it is crucial to bone health which is really overlooked these days.
Your bones have a high amount of collagen in them..and Vit C is crucial to the formation of collagen.

Studies have shown that you must take in more than a couple of grams a day to show some real health producing effects.

I think the minimum should be 5 grams spread throughout the day.

If I seem to be coming down with a cold, I'll take 15 grams(tbls) 3x's a day of a Vit C crystal and it always helps.

C rules!!