PDA

View Full Version : OK...I am now running along BESIDE the wagon...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

offdawagon
Fri, Mar-01-02, 13:18
The time has come...a combination of feeling totally like crap all of the time, having gained back nearly all of the weight I lost 2 years ago, and the WONDERFUL encouragement I have received here, has moved me to get back on the CALP. I have only just begun, so I will not refer to myself as "ONDAWAGON" until I feel like I actually am. This is day two, and my addiction is really showing it's ugly head right now. I feel terrible. My head hurts, I ache all over and I would probably kill you over the chocolate chip cookies I made for the kids yesterday. But here I am. I know I'll feel better in another couple of days. If all of you out there think about me (whilst I am thinking about brownies and Tostitos and sweet iced tea) then perhaps your positive energy will get me through the next couple of days. Your positive thoughts, my reward meal (YEAH!!!) and of course, my Kava Kava. See ya again soon!!! :wave:

animaldoc
Fri, Mar-01-02, 14:10
Keep it up! Those cravings will go away soon!

-animaldoc :wave:

LCer in NW
Fri, Mar-01-02, 14:29
the headaches may be from withdrawls. sizable reliance on chocolate and/or caffiene prior to beginning CALP could account for this. i agree with the doc, you stick on this. does your plan allow coffee? if so, have a bit here and there. if you like avacados do a whole one as soon as possible, or if you like sour cream, make a sour cream and onion dip, and use pork rinds, celery, carrots, bean/pea pods, or cashew/almond nuts as the dipper.

good luck.

offdawagon
Fri, Mar-01-02, 16:08
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I have actually been off caffeine since i started the CALP 2 years ago (other than the caffeine in chocolate, which, I believe that at least SOME chocolate is required to maintain a healthy, happy soul ;) ), but the last time I went through carb "detox" I also suffered a lot of headaches the first week or so. Just curious about the avocado suggestion. I think the avocado is the most perfect food on the planet...I'm quite sure that's REALLY what Eve tempted Adam with, but how will this help how I'm feeling? Other than it's just yummy?? Let me know if this is some "I need some carbs" remedy. Regardless how you answer, I'm having one! Thanks again and I'm sure tomorrow will be a little better...the next day even moreso.

LCer in NW
Fri, Mar-01-02, 20:32
answer is that avacados and sour cream are two of the possible foods that contain a moderate amount of tyramine, one of the stimulant substances that is in chocolate. It can aid withdrawl from chocolate and reduce or eliminate chocolate induced headaches.

That's what is so nice about the LC eating. There are so many alternatives that frankly just wouldn't be available to the low-fat dieter.

offdawagon
Sat, Mar-02-02, 08:54
Gosh, LC, wouldn't have guessed that...but very good info. I agree that there are many alternatives to LC eating that make it something you can live with. I always found that on the CALP, the food was great. People would come for dinner here and say, "How do you eat like this and still lose weight?" Even the times I served MY low carb meals to company, they were often amazed at how good the food was. And as I said before, I truly love avocados and sour cream, also. Thanks for the tip and I hope to see you around!

liv
Mon, Mar-04-02, 04:31
Hi Diane,

I'm with you .. I'm feeling like a worm and pretty grotty too. After being off the WOL for what feels like decades I went back on last week, lost 2 1/2 pounds and ruined it all this weekend!

What a slob! Now I'm back to start!!

Liv

offdawagon
Mon, Mar-04-02, 07:49
I just posted to your other thread...have to express the same sentiments here: Don't beat yourself up!!! Addiction to carbs is serious business and sometimes it takes us a few tries to get hold of ourselves. I remember many moons ago, as a smoker, I had to make a half dozen very frustrating, tearful, painful attempts before I literally scraped that monkey off my back. Been 12 years or so now...hate cigarettes and can't believe I ever did that. I think this addiction to carbohydrates is even bigger than that. So chin up...keep working on it....keep posting here...and be very thankful that at least we know HOW to control this ugly beast! ;)