PDA

View Full Version : BHB?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

razzle
Fri, Mar-01-02, 07:49
in her newer book, McCullough speaks of this supplement "BHB plus" and promotes it as enhancing liver function--especially the mobilization of fat through some fuzzily-explained mechanism. She didn't do much further research, but I'm trying to... The BHB is alpha-amino beta-hydroxybutyric acid
... which is apparently just another name for the amino acid threonine (or is it)? Anyone who can give me info on it, how it works...I'd appreciate it.

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:22
Raz, can't help you with the BHB but I was wondering if it has any relation to HMB (beta Hydroxy-Methyl-Butyrate)? I found info on HMB at Supplement watch (http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=167).

Going to do a little more searching.

Nat

doreen T
Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:55
I'm always suspicious of claims for miraculous properties of a nutritional supplement which is only available from one source. I did a search on BHB last year, when I first got my copy of Living Low-Carb. It's a proprietary formula developed by Dews Research, who makes other miracle supplements as well.

Each BHB Plus capsule contains:

alpha amino - b hydroxybutyric acid 250 mg.

Potassium - elemental (as chloride) 50 mg.

T.A.T. Metabolite 50 mg.

Ah, and we find that the T.A.T. metabolite is another miracle nutrient patented by Dews Research company. Tyramine-Adrenal-Thyroid Metabolite.

For more information about these supplements, check out BHB Plus (http://www.intohealth.com/mall/BHB.asp) and T.A.T. metabolite (http://www.intohealth.com/mall/TAT.asp). Yes, they're glorified infomercials, but there's a bib. list at the end of the BHB article which might provide a little more meat.

Doreen

doreen T
Fri, Mar-01-02, 10:19
McCullough also recommends the works of Dr. Sandra Cabot, from Australia. I've bookmarked her website, it's excellent and the information is reliable .. although NOT low-carb. Check out http://www.liverdoctor.com/ . In particular, you might want to read her explanation of fatty liver (http://www.liverdoctor.com/liverdysf.shtml), and how this can lead to weight gain and difficulty losing fat weight, even when following a diet that should otherwise be effective.

McCullough also suggests milk thistle herb - silymarin, as a standardized extract. I've used this with good result .. I find my medications work better and I need less of them to get relief from my fibro symptoms. Drugs are metabolized in the liver, so an efficiently working liver will process the meds better, and I can use less of them. :) . Silymarin has a LOT of international research and science to back it up.

Doreen

razzle
Fri, Mar-01-02, 15:29
wow, thanks gals. It's so very nice to have such experts around who can quickly lead me to the right stuff to read to help self-educate! I'm not entirely convinced by this BHB stuff...but the herb sounds interesting. I'll keep reading.

A related question (and just direct me to a previous discussion if there was one):

even if all these amino acids are helpful as supplements (especially for us weightlifters), aren't we getting plenty with all the meat, eggs, nuts, and cheese we eat? What's the point of taking the pill, too, if I'm eating 110 g of high-quality protein every day?

oh...and do? Those pictures of diseased livers would have put me off eating liver for weeks...but I never did like it anyway. ;)

doreen T
Fri, Mar-01-02, 16:23
...oh...and do? Those pictures of diseased livers would have put me off eating liver for weeks...but I never did like it anyway. ;) LOL!! :lol:

I love liver ... too bad it's so high in carbs, 8g per 4 oz portion. Actually, calf and lamb liver aren't too bad, at 3 - 4g. Chicken liver is great, only 1g .. Roumaki anyone??? And goose liver ... mmm ... paté.

Doreen

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-01-02, 16:23
Originally posted by razzle
even if all these amino acids are helpful as supplements (especially for us weightlifters), aren't we getting plenty with all the meat, eggs, nuts, and cheese we eat? What's the point of taking the pill, too, if I'm eating 110 g of high-quality protein every day?

My take on this, Raz, is that some of them we are getting enough of - others are worth having in larger quantities - glutamine comes to mind here. Of all the 'searching' I've done, I have found that it is truly worth every penny to purchase and in study after study it does what it claims. It will be interesting to see if there are other such amino acids that fit the same description.

Nat

starlite
Fri, Mar-01-02, 22:46
I'm always suspicious of claims for miraculous properties of a nutritional supplement which is only available from one source.

Wow..this is what I feel - strongly - and have been critisized for it; glad to see it's not just me! I consider it not being a fool! :)

interesting thread - you all said so much great info, I've not much to add but wanted to mention that cuz I really was glad to hear I'm not the only one who adheres to that standard - I really do think it's the smart thing to do.

doreen T
Sun, Mar-03-02, 00:48
Originally posted by starlite
Wow..this is what I feel - strongly - and have been critisized for it; glad to see it's not just me! I consider it not being a fool! :)Indeed! not being a fool at all. It's always best to question, and to do research and find out the real scoop behind anything we're going to consume. Sometimes a product turns out to do just what it claims .. but first I want to see science-based, independent studies and references.

Doreen

razzle
Sun, Mar-03-02, 17:54
silymarin: just went out and priced some.

yikes

why o why is it that every flippin' supplement that gets recommended to LCers is SO much more expensive than all the other supplements on the shelf next to it? (okay, calc/mag ain't too bad).

alibabka
Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:52
Razzle,
I think silymarin is in milk thistle. Maybe you can comparison shop among brands that have a standardized amount of silymarin.

starlite
Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:44
but first I want to see science-based, independent studies and references.

A-men, Doreen! I consider it NOT being gullible and buying into everything you hear!

Good to know I have company! :) Great minds think alike..lol.