PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Figure Out What Upset My Stomach

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bike2work
Sun, Dec-09-07, 10:59
A few days ago I ate (slightly overate) some Dixie Diner peanut butter fudge. Afterward, I had an extreme amount of gas and some diarrhea. I thought it might be a coincidence. I tried again last night and had the same reaction -- a lot like when I have eaten maltitol.

I'd like to know what ingredient I'm reacting to so I can avoid it in the future. From the label:

ALL NATURAL. Gluten free. NO sugar alchohols or polydextrose.
Ingredients: Organic peanuts, vegetable fiber, coconut oil, palm oil, water, heavy cream, flaxseed oil, molasses, maltodextrin, milk protein concentrate, natural flavor, low glycemic monosaccharides, sodium caseinate, salt, soy lecithin, carrageenan, sodium bicarbonate, low glycemic fruit concentrate.

Any guesses? Thanks. :)

Sandollar
Sun, Dec-09-07, 11:52
I'd guess the coconut oil and all the fibre?

Hope you are feeling better....ummm.....all things must pass.....*wink*

NorthPeace
Sun, Dec-09-07, 11:53
It could be anything, but out of that list of ingredients the only thing I would eat is the last one: low glycemic fruit. By the way, in the world of food processing, the word 'natural' means nothing at all. Maybe you should only be putting food in your mouth.

Nancy LC
Sun, Dec-09-07, 12:34
I'd be curious what was in the fruit concentrate.

LarryAJ
Mon, Dec-10-07, 08:24
A few days ago I ate (slightly overate) some Dixie Diner peanut butter fudge. Afterward, I had an extreme amount of gas and some diarrhea. I thought it might be a coincidence. I tried again last night and had the same reaction -- a lot like when I have eaten maltitol.

I'd like to know what ingredient I'm reacting to so I can avoid it in the future. From the label:

ALL NATURAL. Gluten free. NO sugar alchohols or polydextrose.
Ingredients: Organic peanuts, vegetable fiber, coconut oil, palm oil, water, heavy cream, flaxseed oil, molasses, maltodextrin, milk protein concentrate, natural flavor, low glycemic monosaccharides, sodium caseinate, salt, soy lecithin, carrageenan, sodium bicarbonate, low glycemic fruit concentrate.

Any guesses? Thanks. :) TOO much carbohydrate! Molasses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses) is essentially a sugar. And so is maltodextrin, here is what wikipedia says about it.
"For example, maltodextrin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin) is a moderately sweet polysaccharide used as a food additive. It is produced from starch and is usually found as a creamy white hygroscopic powder. Maltodextrin is easily digestible absorbed as rapidly as glucose."

So all the buggies (gut flora) had a big sugar party, got drunk - or what ever their equivalent would be ;) - and you paid the price.

I should add. Gas, methane usually, is the "waste product" from anaerobic metabolism by many bacteria. It is anaerobic because there is NO air supply in the gut. So excess intestinal tract gas comes from the bacteria having an abundant food supply, usually in the form of carbohydrates. More so than usual, since there is always some intestinal gas produced, even on very low carb.

cs_carver
Mon, Dec-10-07, 11:37
Agreed, it was most likely the carb load itself, esp. if you're not normally eating that much sugar.

I get an explosive intestinal reaction to peanut butter. Peanuts themselves seem to be OK. However, I've eaten fewer peanuts in the time since I diagnosed the intestinal reaction to peanut butter, for sure.

Michelle H
Wed, Dec-19-07, 11:48
Adding my 2c. Low glycemic monosaccharides and fruit juice concentrate sounds like terms to hide fructose and other sugars as well.

Fruit juice concentrates are often used as natural sweeteners - then you can claim no added sugar/sucrose. They are very sweet (all the fructose) and often very refined (no vitamins or minerals any more).

Sammy62
Sun, Jan-06-08, 15:11
My guess is the maltodextrin is your culprit.