PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AussieGirl
Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:23
Hi guys. I'm not a vegetarian, but my 7 year old daughter is. she finally announced it last nite after several months of liking less and less of an ever decreasing range of meats, fish, chicken etc. I would like some advice as to what I can give her to keep her protein levels OK. she doesn't like eggs, or cheese either (unless it's grated mum, and in a cup!). I know about tofu and lentils, but I need something a 7 year old will think is yummy!

any help would be appreciated.

rhubarb
Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:36
Hi, Aussie Girl

Not sure what’s available in your neck of the woods, but here in the US we have imitation “meats” made from soy products. My nieces (vegetarian) and my daughter (not a veggie) like “Tofu-Pups” – they’re meat-free hot dogs. Other products include vegetarian burgers, and something called “phony baloney.”

I don’t eat these products, as they are typically high in sodium, but the kids seem to like them. Read the labels on the burgers – some of ‘em are too high in carbs, and not high enough in protein.

Good luck!

Rhubarb
[a.k.a. barbara]

scg
Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:43
I've been a vegetarian since I was 5. My mom was always worried that I wasn't getting enough protein (and iron, vitamins, etc). As a kid my main sources of protein were peanut butter and cheese. I never ate tofu or beans or anything like that back then, but I do now. Now I love beans, but I still hate tofu!

Try making some fruit smoothies with protein powder--they're a great way to get lots of protein and vitamins in a kid-friendly treat....I crush some ice in a blender and then add fruit, soy milk (or reg milk), a bit of yogurt, a big spoonful of protein powder and blend...if she's not eating low carb, you can also add ice cream, sorbet, cocoa, or fruit juice to the mix. whatever you like!

hope that's a bit of a help :)
Suzy

starlite
Sat, Mar-02-02, 22:43
Would peanut butter be acceptable? It's loaded with protein and you can get all natural varieties...

just a thought!

AussieGirl
Sun, Mar-03-02, 19:55
thanks guys! that's fantastic. so many things I hadn't even thought about. she loves peanut butter, yoghurt and of course ice-cream. and no, she's not low carbing so I can use all of these things. we do have a 'meat substitute' here. it's called nut-meat, or something like that. I bought some on the weekend, cut it into strips, rolled them in breadcrumbs and told her they were 'not fish-fish fingers' she loved them. so thanks all for your ideas!

exclaim
Sun, Mar-03-02, 23:16
there are about five other things in the sanatirum(sp?) range that are all great for protein
most of the fake meat products have plenty of protein in them.
If you got an asian supermarket i think there are a few normal ones that sell it in australia to are these asian mock meats they have everything from mock duck to pork.
Protein shkes as suggest are always great to
just put some soy protein powder in shake and away you go.

lupine
Mon, Mar-04-02, 09:21
Here are a few suggestions. First, I would suggest soy nuts. They are available here salted or in a bbq flavor. My kids like them and they are loaded with protein. Also cottage cheese is a good source of protein. You can add soy protein supplement to almost anything: pudding, fruit, oatmeal, applesauce. I use the vanilla soy protein powder. Tempeh seems to be more popular with my kids than tofu. I use it is spaghetti and stirfry. Tufu can be used in pudding, dips, and other snack type creations as long as it is kind of disguised. My eldest daughter is getting into all kinds of Asian mythology and history at the moment so tufu and tempeh are at least in her realm of interest. Good luck.

CherylAust
Wed, Mar-20-02, 06:12
to anyone who is thinking about giving Peanut Butter to their children, please be careful. Many children are allergic to it, my 10 year old daughter is. Her symptoms don't show up for a couple of days after eating. Hers is not an immediate life threatening situation. Some children's reactions are servere and immeditaley life threatening.

:nono: Children under 4 should NOT be given Peanut butter. :nono:

:nono: Do NOT give other children Peanut Butter without asking the parent first. :nono: