PDA

View Full Version : Fasting BG 88/migraines/etc

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CarbJunky2
Thu, Dec-06-07, 09:52
Is there such a thing as a fasting blood sugar being too low? I haven't been testing lately and did this morning. Got an 88. [I've been on Induction with Intermittent Fasting for a week (eating window from 2pm to 7pm, w/ coffee & cream allowed outside that time).]
I have been having migraines all week and now I'm thinking it may be related to the blood sugar. Is 88 good? Borderline? I think it's the lowest fasting I've had when not pregnant and under a doctor's care/diet. I'm wondering if it's a great #, but because of not eating until 2, despite the coffee & cream, it's doing something not-so-good to my blood sugars, causing the migraines.. I'm not hungry outside that eating window, but I'm wondering if an ounce of cheese here or there might not help.. I'm thinking I can do one or the other diet but not both because I'm diabetic.

Any advice/input would be appreciated.

Nancy LC
Thu, Dec-06-07, 10:54
88 isn't too low at all. I'd say 70-80 is about perfect. But your body may need awhile to adjust to lower blood sugar if you've been a lot higher before. The lower your fasting blood sugar (within reason) the longer you're expected to live.

You might want to ease into the fasting though. Just extend your by a bit every day.

And migraines are often connected with eating certain foods. I know a lot of folks who got them when eating gluten. Are you eating more of something you didn't normally eat when eating more meals a day?

mike_d
Thu, Dec-06-07, 13:47
I was pre-diabetic FBS 116. After a month of IF my fasting sugar went from 88 to 77. I just moved a load of firebricks for building an outdoor BBQ grill got extremely hungry, came in to rest now I feel OK. The lowest I have seen after exercise it was 72 [less than 75 is considered hypoglycemia]. I am having a cup of tea w/cream. I eat from 5 ish - 6:30 PM most days. Coconut oil can help with BS, and dilute pepper nasal spray helps my head and sinus. I also take Ginkgo for circulation.

CarbJunky2
Thu, Dec-06-07, 13:57
I've been doing the fasting for a while now, just changed what I ate because I was having a hard time w/ cravings and sticking to my window, etc. The Induction really helps.
I'm not sure I eat more of anything. Even when not doing Induction I do eat a good proportion of meat and veg. I did recently have to stop eating bleu cheese because I connected it w/ severe itching.
I ate a bit more veg w/ my break-fast today. I'm going to keep an eye on my BG for the day and see if the extra veg helps. Going over on carbs w/ regards to veg if it keeps me from having migraines, maybe slower weight loss, seems a good trade-off right now after a week of daily migraines.

Daryl
Thu, Dec-06-07, 18:14
88 is fine; 83, 84 if just about the average for a non-diabetic. If you've had high blood sugars for some time, then lowering them to "normal" levels can make you feel bad for awhile, until your body becomes acclimated.

glennette
Fri, Dec-07-07, 16:05
Mike, where do you get the pepper spray for your sinus? If it's a recipe that you use, would you mind giving it out?
TIA, Glennette

v-effect
Fri, Dec-07-07, 21:26
Reality Check: I'm type one and I'd love to see sugars like yours!
V