PDA

View Full Version : Starting....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

frnorke
Fri, Nov-30-07, 09:56
I started induction about 3 weeks ago. I've lost 5 lbs so far. A couple of things:

- How many calories a day should I intake?
- I am in ketosis according to ketostix; should I see evidence of ketones throughout the day. They appear in the morning, but not in the afternoon. Does this have something to do with hydration?
- I intially lost 9 lbs in week one but my body seems very resistant to this new life style. I don't have cravings for anything, but still seem to be hovering at one weight.
- Any recommended exercises that help along the fat burning process? In other words, should I be doing long runs at a slow pace; short runs at a fast pace; lifting weights everyday; lifting every other day?
- Thanks for the help and advice. It is discouraging to get on the scale and see no weight loss.

LOL79
Mon, Dec-03-07, 06:47
Hi, and welcome!

I don't have answers to all your questions, but as far as the weightloss goes -- don't worry about the 3rd week slow down. That happens to lots of people (I lost nothing from weeks 3-5, and then had a whoosh and started losing again).

For calories, your mileage may vary...you are a tall man, so you probably need a bit more than most. Dr. A says we don't need to count.

There is an exercise section to this forum which has a lot of helpful info on exercise...some really informed folks over there.

Happy low carbing!

Kisal
Mon, Dec-03-07, 21:12
Welcome! The only suggestions I can offer are: #1) don't worry about calories at this time. Dr. A. said to eat until you were satisfied, but not stuffed. #2) Many people notice that weight loss slows dramatically, or even stops, during weeks 3 to 5. Your body is just pausing to readjust its chemistry. Many folks also notice that they continue to lose inches during this time, even though the numbers on the scale don't change. Be patient, and continue to follow your plan. You will begin to lose again within a few weeks.

Goat Lady
Tue, Dec-04-07, 06:09
Great comments! Good Luck and Welcome!