PDA

View Full Version : Constipation

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

midesire
Mon, Nov-26-07, 01:28
I love to eat low carb, have lost weight and feel better except I am often constipated. I drink lots of water and exercise. Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

kebaldwin
Mon, Nov-26-07, 04:46
How much magnesium and potassium are you taking?

LarryAJ
Mon, Nov-26-07, 09:35
I would add, how much fat are you eating? You need to eat over 70% of your calories as fat, and half or so should be saturated. I find that the unabsorbed excess lubricates the NORMAL firm stool (some would say hard) that you will have on low-carb - low fiber.

Remember, your stool is really food that you have eaten but not absorbed. So if you are eating like a herbivore (which you are NOT), all the undigested and thus not absorbed fiber passes out in the stool. Dr. Mike Eades did a blog on fiber where he said it was NOT necessary, even possibly bad. Dont’have time now to link to it, will try later.

edwardjerr
Sat, Jan-05-08, 01:51
Drink a glass of warm milk along with two tsp of castor oil. The hardness of stool will be reduced the next day and the motility will be regularized within a week of treatment.

Songwriter
Sat, Jan-05-08, 04:44
Add sat fat to your diet. Butter. Now, I add coconut oil to my coffee. I've had trouble with constipation for decades and was flabbergasted to read Dr. Eades say fiber might be totally worthless. I posted like you did here and there and found that increasing fat is a common solution. There are other benefits to bumping up fat intake.

Bat Spit
Sat, Jan-05-08, 07:56
Have you considered the possibility of a food intolerance?

When I gave up dairy I discovered that no only did it cause asthma and allergy trouble, it was the source of my on again off again constipation.

csusie
Sun, Jan-13-08, 14:38
I've always been inclined to constipation, and it's refreshing that a doctor has come out against fiber. I almost exploded after taking fiber one time. Definitely not the answer for me. Yoghurt helps. But since I've tried many diets over the years, and the constipation is under control but there's still that tendency in me, I'm thinking magnesium might be the cure. Magnesium is one thing I've never taken because I think in terms of an overall supplement, not an isolated mineral. I'm really impressed by the fact that the softened water we drink lacks it.

pennink
Sun, Jan-13-08, 14:42
i have two cures:

milk of magnesia (it's not bad, even tasty in strawberry and kept in the fridge) this is for really bad weeks.

celery. I eat some stuffed celery (usually egg salad or laughing cow cheese) It really does the trick

Nancy LC
Sun, Jan-13-08, 15:44
Dairy constipates the heck out of lots of people. Try cutting it out and you might find the pipes are working better. I think all the fiber and stuff is a bandage on the constipating effects of dairy, IMHO.