PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb for life.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

xv1942
Sat, Nov-24-07, 13:12
Hello Everyone,

I'm into the Low Carb, well actually No Carb, for several reasons. My own personal health was at stake, hypertension over weight hypoglycemia, and because I really wanted to do something to help my wife. She was a type 2 diabetic on metformin, trying her best to follow the doctor's and the medical system's directions and not having any luck. Really she was having no luck nor was I by listening to the medical establishment. So one night at the kitchen table we're talking over the situation and she starts crying because she can see that she is knocking on death's door. We both knew that Atkins was out there but I had never really read the book, merely glanced at it so I didn't comprehend the low carb aspects of it, but as we sat there that night it dawned on us that the medical system was not helping. If anything it was making matters worse so it became obvious to both of us that we had to give up on the doctors. At that point we didn't have anything to lose. We both started the Atkin's program and I started digging into the science of metabolism.
The results for us were startling in several areas and we came to believe that the medical profession is insane. Our first realization was that high blood sugar was caused by eating carbohydrates. Yes, we were blown away that the docs never bothered to mention that nor had all the literature from the American Diabetes Association. Wow!
After the first three months and the wife's mandatory blood tests came back all normal we were totally convinced of the low carb way of living and totally convinced that the doctors didn't have a clue. In the first four months the wife dropped 35 pounds while I only managed 15. But we both felt so much better. As the wife said, "Now there is hope."

Since then we have both turned into what I would call real people not controlled by their infirmities. Life is once again great. I've totally kicked all the meds and I'm in great shape if I do say so myself. It has been a long journey of study and digging for information and trying to understand the science.

The science was conflicted but when I started studying molecular cell biology things in some ways started to make sense. Of course it only made sense because we had decided to ignore what the medical establishment said. We had started thinking for ourselves and it was a liberating feeling. The scientists aren't really that much brighter than everyone else. The concepts and knowledge isn't really that difficult to understand. It really isn't. There may be a lot of it and a lot of detail but it can be understood and you don't have to be a member of the inner circle to learn it. With that knowledge and all the research I'd been doing it became pretty obvious that just eating meat and fats was all we'd have to do.

Then of course Gary Taubes was writting his book "Good Calories Bad Calories" and when it came out everything I had learned and so much more was right there.

Call it what you will, Low Carb, Atkins, Neanderthin, Paleolithic, whatever, it turns out to be extremely simple. Carbohydrates are not proper human food.

There are essential proteins we must have.
There are essential fats we must have.
There are no essential carbohydrates we must have.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

What comes from Gary Taubes book is pretty much a reflection of how Thomas Kuhn described big science in 1962. It's more a religion than anything else. Complete with articles of faith, a bible and a hierarchy of authority. Think of the doctor as the low level priest or pastor who checks in with the bishop on matters of faith. Proclamations from the government agencies or the AMA are like edicts from Rome.

I'm thankful for the Internet because without it I'd still be trying to figure things out.

To a bright future! :)

xv1942

CValentine
Sat, Nov-24-07, 13:38
Welcome to the bright future xv1942!
Both you & your wife have found the wellspring of life in your new way of eating!
Long life & continued success to you both!
~Cheryl Ann

Kisal
Sat, Nov-24-07, 14:13
Welcome to the forums! It's nice to have you here with us! :)

jenifaohje
Thu, Nov-29-07, 19:20
Ahhh like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for your story.