PDA

View Full Version : First timer

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ms A
Sun, Nov-18-07, 11:45
Hi there:

Brand new to the no carb deal - I am following South Beach, although I haven't bought the book yet, I only just decided to do this last night and got some info from the internet on how to get started today. After this message I am off to Chapters to get the book(s).

After trying for years to do the 'points counting' diet (not sure if I can say the name?) and yoyo-ing with my weight, I have had enough. It did work initially and I did lose weight, only to gain it back again, it just gets too tedious and boring to always count everything. I also noticed that my blood sugars seemed to be spiraling out of control - I'm a carb junky so with the 'other' diet you can of course load up on carbs as long as you are within your daily points range, so not good for me.

After listening to a very interesting show yesterday lunch time on CBC radio, I decided to try the South Beach route. Can't remember the gentlemans name or if he was a doctor, we came into the show part way through, but he was talking about his new book which stresses that not enough scientific research has been done to prove that the medical profession's decisions are based on facts and not enough research has been done, as far as telling patients to eat lots of carbs and not too much fat etc., and that the South Beach and those types of diets are much better for us, and that people have more success overall. Anyway, peaked my interest and I decided that I needed to try something different.

I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure, probably due to being overweight for so long, and I know that the Doctor who designed the South Beach diet did so for his heart patients and that it has been very successful.

Anyway, great to find a forum to share ideas with, I live in a remote area so good to be able to chat with others on the same path. Looks like there is some great info on here. I was actually searching for breakfast ideas for South Beach and came across this site - glad I did! :)

Yours in low carbs,
Ms. A

Zuleikaa
Sun, Nov-18-07, 12:22
Welcome.

There's a lot of support and fellowship here.

Ms A
Sun, Nov-18-07, 12:47
Thanks everyone for all the great welcomes and info - I'm really looking forward to being part of this forum, once I get the hang of how to get around the site! Ha ha. Lots to learn, but am looking forward to it.

WyoDiva
Sun, Nov-18-07, 13:12
Welcome! Low carbing is a great way of life...and I do encourage to read the book for the plan you choose - so you'll do it right. :)

Kisal
Sun, Nov-18-07, 15:07
Welcome! :)