PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil = Cosmic Pizza Grease?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy LC
Mon, Nov-12-07, 17:27
I've been taking a bit of coconut oil and my intestinal output is... shall we say... challenged of late. It almost sounds like what happens when you take that drug that prevents you from absorbing fats, except I'm not having accidents.

It could be something else I'm eating so I thought I'd check to see if others noticed this.

witchiejen
Mon, Nov-12-07, 19:11
I had that the first few days. My <ahem> output was prodigious and slightly frightening :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it unless it lasts and lasts.

Even after that ended, I still had somewhat of a 'greased lightening' effect.

Demokat
Mon, Nov-12-07, 20:00
Coconut oil has a similar effect on me. I can't go above 2 teaspoons a day without liquid plumber-like effects. You're right about no accidents-it's not like when I overdid eating wheat and the attacks came with no warning and I had many close calls.

Kharma
Mon, Nov-12-07, 22:41
I eat 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day and have had no issues. I also have no gall bladder (in case that plays a part in anything)

Bat Spit
Tue, Nov-13-07, 07:53
Coconut oil is known to have a laxative effect. It is also anti viral and anti fungal and will clean out intestinal hoodlums that have no business being in there.

As your body gets more used to it, the effect will be much less noticeable.

After a year or so, I stopped noticing any effect at all. You can lessen the effect by mixing it with other food.

Nancy LC
Tue, Nov-13-07, 11:07
Ok good! I was afraid it was another food intolerance rearing its head. Thanks for the infos.

Nancy LC
Tue, Nov-13-07, 13:37
... except I'm not having accidents.
Until now... :lol:

lcstudent
Tue, Nov-13-07, 14:43
I'm experiencing the same thing (but mine is also greenish?). TMI but it's taking care my chronic pinworms better than any OTC med ever has. Coconut oil is amazing.