PDA

View Full Version : Hello and ? re:Headaches

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LittleFeat
Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:35
Hello. I think I have found the right forum. My husband and I are both on the Atkins diet. I was on it 18 years ago and lost a ton of weight after having first child. Have steadly gained weight every years since.

I have never been a big sweet eater. But, my husband is having problems with not being able to have that cookie and milk before bed. We are working on that now.

My main concern now is that I am having headaches. I have tried to increase my water intake, as someone told me that could be a factor. Any suggestions.

:q:

wbahn
Tue, Feb-26-02, 15:50
If you are just starting LC, it is very common to have headaches for a few days - even real bad ones. They go away. Drinking lots of water seems to speed them along, but nothing seems to really address their severity - the normal pain killers don't anyway.

Most people only have them to any significant degree for the first few days or week but quite a few seem to have to put up with them for a couple of weeks.

Just hang in there.

LittleFeat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 09:47
Thanks for your reply. I was afraid of this. I am taking aspiran and that is helping some.

I am also having trouble with low energy. I know this is suppose to be the opposite. I have never been a big eater but, with thyroid disease, it doesn't matter. I was really hoping I would see a jump in my levels of energy so I could exercise some too. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again. :q:

wbahn
Wed, Feb-27-02, 10:23
Low energy levels are a very common sign of the carb withdrawal process. Once your body gets switched over to full ketone production your energy levels should pick up. Most people see the difference in a few days to a week or so. Your thyroid problems may be slowing the transition for you. Is your physician aware that you are going LC? If you have medical problems it is pretty important that you be working with a doctor that is LC friendly and knowledgeable.

Stick with it!

LittleFeat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 10:36
Funny you should mention seeing my doctor re: LC.

A few years back, I went to see the doctor for a routine visit (cold or something). At the time, Dr. Kelly was an overweight person. And I mean overweight. I really believe that was the reason he never got on to me about my weight. Anyway, he recognized my problem with loosing weight and encouraged me to try any diet that I felt comfortable with and was having good results. He however, did not like the lc diet. He didn't tell me not to do it but, he felt low fat, watch calories etc. was the way to go.

Anyway, last year went in for sore throat and low and behold, here was my doctor who had to have lost 100+ pounds. He looks great. Guess how he lost it? That's right on lc. Now he is a cheerleader. Plus he looks a lot better getting into to his corvette (which I and others surely paid for!).

He could be on this forum for all I know.

:roll:

Karen
Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:37
Make sure that you're drinking lots of water, 64 oz. + 8 oz. for every 25 pounds you wish to lose and taking potassium, magensium and calcium supplements. A lack of these can also cause fatigue and headache, but initial withdrawal symptoms will pass.

Karen

LittleFeat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:47
Thanks Karen.

I have a question though. As my profile shows, I need to loose ALOT of weight. That would mean drinking more water than an elephant!! Also, can I get the vitamins/minerals in a multi-vitamin or have to take seperately?

/U
LittleFeat

wbahn
Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:00
Don't worry about the elephants. ;)

If you're 100# overweight than you should be consuming a minimun of 3/4 gallon of water a day. That's not excessive by any means. For me, my minimum is 1 gallon. I am almost always right between 1.5 gallons and 2.0 gallons.

It can be hard at first, but after a while you get used to it, it seems normal, and your bladder adapts as well.

As for supplements, a good starting point is the section in DANDR where he gives the baseline recommendations. You could simply buy his supplements (that's what I did out of laziness - I bought a month's supply and I haven't decided yet what I'll do when they run out) or you could look for supplements locally that meet those same specs - at least roughly. Then you can modify them over time based on the guidance in one of his books or through interactions here with people that have a lot of experience or in consultation with your doctor (the best choice).

LittleFeat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:07
Thanks again. I will look up his recommendations and start my "drinking" right away.

uxxxxxxxxxxxx/u
LittleFeat

Karen
Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:09
You can get Cal/Mag as a combined supplement. Some of them have potassium.

Here is more info on dosages: Multi-Vitamins and Cal/Mag/K (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29218&highlight=calcium+magnesium+how+much)

As for water, look at where I started, and where I am now! ;)

Karen

LittleFeat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 13:51
Thanks Karen. I tried to send you a PM of thanks but, the program will not let me.

If I read your note correctly you have done a wonderful job of loosing weight. Congrats to you. Hope I am as succesful.

I sent a note to the receipe section re: making bread. Maybe you could take a look at it. I am trying right now a combination of several receips that I got from the receipe section with hopes that I can get a edible bread for myself and my husband.

Last night tried to make tortilla's. God awful stuff. Husband ate two with his fajita meat/vegs. I could only stomach one. I read that there is a firm called La Tortilla Factory that makes lc tortilla's but, alas they are not in my area. Any suggestions?

After purchasing the bread machine, vital wheat gluten (by boxes), soy potein isolate, soy flour (bags), oat flour, egg whites, rye flour, wheat bran, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, yeast, whey protein powder (canisters), Splenda (2 boxes), cottage cheese, various grated cheeses, goat cheese, real butter, cream cheese, eggs (cartons), etc. I have spent well over $200.00 and going on third attempt to get edible bread, I could use your help in this area too!

I made the mock danish and it was wonderful. So I can at least make something that my husband and I can take to work in the morning and eat. It is the lunches that I would like to be able to put together with the bread, even if it is paper thin bread. Also, years ago I had (I Think)was thin sliced zucchini (sp?) that was deep fried. It had the texture and taste similar to fries. Do you know how to make this or where I could get receipe?

Aside from the bread issue, we are doing pretty good on the diet. We haven't eaten so healthy in years. Husband has been on diet same length as myself and he has lost 5 Ibs. already. It just is not fair how they lose so quickly!

You are an inspiration and I look forward to your posts.

LittleFeat

Karen
Wed, Feb-27-02, 15:15
Hi LF,

I can't help you with the bread except that I have made Shepherd's Loaf twice - recipe in Readers Recipes - and it was good.

I'm one of those "LC purists" and do not use or try to create LC substitutes for high carb food except for the occasional dessert.

I will have a look at your post though! :D

Karen