PDA

View Full Version : Here come the holidays!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cartersg1
Wed, Nov-07-07, 11:55
"The worst gift is fruitcake. There is only one fruitcake in the entire world, and people keep sending it to each other." - Johnny Carson

My grandmother used to make rum-soaked fruitcakes and send them to us in Florida. I took one look at a fruitcake and distinctly remember not even wanting to try it. It looked...in a word...awful. I ddi try it, if only for grandma and Mom told me not to reject anything until I tried it (unless, due to food allergies, I knew I couldn't have it). Not much has changed. Out of kindness to my MIL, I have eaten her fruitcake in the past. Now that I can't have sugar or wheat, I am relieved evermore from the burden of eating fruitcake!!! :agree: And this is one baked good that I don't EVER plan on backward engineering into a LC treat.

There is a fruitcake preservation society out there...I think we've adequately preserved and passed around all dozen or so fruitcakes in existence. I don't think we need to preserve any more for future generations...except as part of a museum display...

SSSSSooooo...how do we all get around the sugar-laden holidays?? The good thing is that our way of life is more acceptable and we know that food takes a backseat to everything else. Well...okay...maybe not a total backseat but maybe it rides shotgun now. I used to hate the holidays for all the food but now that I'm a better cook and baker, it's not so bad. I can make "my own stuff" and be quite happy passing up the yucky stuff. And no one really knows it's sugar-free and wheat-free until they ask for and read the recipe. :) Gads, I love that look on their faces. Cheers!!!

Nancy LC
Wed, Nov-07-07, 12:06
I'm one person who absolutely loves fruitcake. Nummers. :) My Aunt used to send us fruit cakes from Baker Street Bakery that were out of this world.

I can't quite understand what is wrong with the rest of you, that don't like fruit cake! Were you startled by one as a child? :lol:

nole1984
Wed, Nov-07-07, 19:35
OOh my God... Fruitcake, I have one person in my entire family that like this stuff and it's my bro-in-law :D

I can remember picking the cherries and walnuts out of the Claxton's ( I think that was the name of it) that my parents would produce out of the closet :lol:

Thank you so much for the wonderful memory! :thup:

bike2work
Thu, Nov-08-07, 00:14
You say, "Grandma, as I've gotten older, eating cake and cookies makes me feel sick. I just can't do it anymore. It looks yummy, though! Let me tell you about ... (a man I've been seeing, a party I went to, a funny thing my dog did last week, what I did this summer, whatever)."

The key is to not pause. You go directly from saying, "no, thank you" to the change of topic. You must not wait for a response. No hesitation. Don't even pause to take a breath. The topic has changed.

bike2work
Thu, Nov-08-07, 00:26
Observe thin people. I have studied them on many occasions: they say, "no, thanks!" or "none for me" and then continue on with the conversation. They don't apologize. They don't offer excuses or reasons. And no one ever questions them. I think we sometimes set ourselves up for the battle by trying to explain ourselves -- it's a conversation starter. But you don't want to start a conversation about it and engage in debate over eating cake or not.

Just "no, thank you" and keep the conversation going.

I should have posted these two posts in reverse order. First, don't provide an explanation. Then, if you don't get away with it, explain that you no longer can do the things you could do when you were young. Grandma will certainly understand that.

Kisal
Thu, Nov-08-07, 03:18
If you can get you hands on a lc fruit cake, send it to me! I adore fruit cake! :yum: :yum: :yum: