PDA

View Full Version : The Official "How Long Can You Go" Challenge

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Natrushka
Tue, Feb-26-02, 12:14
Objective: To go as long as you possibly can without stepping on a scale or peeing on a stick.
Goal: To break free of scale and/or ketostix dependance.
Who can join: Everyone!

Com'on we can do this.

Feel free to post your ketostix free and scaleless days here.

Nat

-Scaleless since Feb 23rd
-Haven't owned a bottle of stix in 2002!

razzle
Tue, Feb-26-02, 12:30
whoo hoo, nat! You also going to stay away from those calipers, too? I will. Nothing but how my clothes fit, my awareness of my behavior, and how I feel to "test" how I'm doing.

Last ketostick: February 5 2002

Last step onto scale: February 15 2002...11 days and counting.

:thup: on the thread

now...I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :)

Natrushka
Tue, Feb-26-02, 13:02
*lol* I'm gonna try to stay away from the measuring tape - until Week 6 of this challenge at least (the obsessive in me requires that I document the whole journey ;) )

Nat

lesleyc
Tue, Feb-26-02, 13:12
mmm....not sure of my willpower on this, but will give it a go.

never ever used the stix so no worries there.

Last scale - 23 Feb (just 4 days :rolleyes: )

You guys might need to prop me up from time to time ;)

L.

agonycat
Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:54
Piece of cake! I haven't used the sticks since I ran out of them in August :D

Now the scale is a bit tougher.....I check to make sure it is firmly attached to the floor every morning. I also realize that my weight goes up and down like a yo-yo so even an 8 pound gain over night is no biggie to me.

However...I will accept the challenge of staying off my scale!

Karen
Wed, Feb-27-02, 02:11
Scale free since around the first week of February!

I do like to have a pee on a stick every now and again though! It's fun to watch the colour change. ;)

Karen

agonycat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 07:00
Day 1.

I saw the scale this morning, and it saw me. However I avoided checking to see if it was still attached to the floor or not ;)

Hope it doesn't run off somewhere!

agonycat
Thu, Feb-28-02, 08:29
Day 2!

The scale tried to sabbotage me this morning while I was half asleep by jumping in front of me. I riposted and avoided the attack, and kicked it back into it's corner!

Natrushka
Thu, Feb-28-02, 08:50
Scale is now in the kitchen - I think Elvis has been weighing himself (trying to prove that he's shrinking into nothingness now that I have discontinued their wet food). Drinking half a litre of water prior to a lower body workout removed all need and/or desire to jump on though.

Nat

reneny
Thu, Feb-28-02, 10:22
I just went to the doctor and it is now confirmed that I have a demonized scale at home. So, I have decided that I will not weigh again until my next appointment in three months. I will probably weigh and measure on Monday as I hope for that to be my first day of BFL but after that.....NADA!

THREE MONTHS! I dare ya to beat me!

:nono:

Aine
Thu, Feb-28-02, 10:30
Hello, Great idea, but do I just see how my clothes fit? If they're not getting looser, am I allowed to weigh or measure.

I must be a scale addict, so this idea is really freaking me out, but I'll give it a thought.

Aine :wave:

razzle
Thu, Feb-28-02, 11:19
welcome reneny--three months is a GREAT time frame. :) :thup:

I love this commitment. This thread--such a tiny thing--is keeping me away from the scale (which is cowed and silent in a closet, not even whimpering. I've explained to it in a very serious tone about the sledgehammer in the garage, and apparently it took me seriously. ;) )

Aine, you want to really freak out, try what I did as part of my ED treatment some years back...not only no scale, but covered up every single mirror in the house for three weeks. Wow, what a learning experience that was! Okay, I cheated a little in the car mirror, to make sure my bangs didn't look a fright and no spinach was stuck to my teeth, but from the neck down, I had little idea of how I looked. It was a great exercise. It taught me to live in a felt world, perceived out of my own senses, rather than through the imagined vision of strangers who only looked at me.

Karen
Thu, Feb-28-02, 11:35
Interesting point razzle! To live within yourself and look out, rather than outside of yourself, looking at!

Karen

lesleyc
Thu, Feb-28-02, 12:54
I know I have shrunk this week...pants feel looser.

I will soooo want to climb on those sales for my saturday weigh in :eek:

...but I have the tape easure primed and ready ;)

L.

wbahn
Fri, Mar-01-02, 17:18
Oh.. the heresy that is about! What sacrilege! Repent! Repent!

Ruth
Fri, Mar-01-02, 21:06
Some of the 'oldies' around here know I'm obsessed with the scale, well not as bad as I was last fall. Can I do this? Yes, if i really want to, but is it necessary? See, I've already got excuses to not do this :p .

I'm thinkin' on accepting the challenge, I'm finishing wk 5 of BFL and would want to measure & weigh for the 8 wk mark, then cease & desist on the scale until the 12 weeks are completed. While not as obsessive as Nat, I think I need the encouragement & benchmarks that the 4 and 8 wk stats give me.

I'll discuss this with Marlaine over coffee tonight. I'll see if I can talk her into this challenge. ;).

Joy Taylor
Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:48
Thanks to Nat I'm here for the challenge. I feel that taking the focus off the results of weight loss will allow me a life style change vs a diet. I will be scale and stick free starting tomorrow.

the challenge is on!!!!

Joy

allisonm
Sat, Mar-02-02, 16:05
Okay, count me in. I've been weighing myself only once every one or two months anyway. Da**! Just when I was getting curious again! I think I might miss hitting the hundred pound mark though. Oh, well, it's just a number.

My last time on a scale was six weeks ago Monday. (There was one encounter with a scale four weeks ago but it was during my tom, I had already eaten breakfast, and I was dressed. Since it was totally inaccurate, it doesn't count.)

So six weeks + 2 days more to make three months? Three months is the goal?

I'm with Karen on the stix though. I get a kick out of them.

Great idea Nat! :thup: Weighing infrequently has given me a great peace of mind and forced me to focus on how I feel.

Allison

seds
Sat, Mar-02-02, 17:03
love the idea of no scales and sticks, am with you, three days and counting.
I really don't think those sticks work well for me, I "fell off the wagon" a few days ago, and checked just for fun, and somehow I was still in the pink, I didn't think it would be possible after a binge of cookies.
will keep you posted
seds :wave:

Natrushka
Sat, Mar-02-02, 17:10
Seds, Allison and Joy, welcome! I was hoping this idea would take off, but hey, you never know ;)

There is no date set at present to weigh in - it was more of a 'see how long you could go' idea (hence the name!). The goal was to shift focus from relying on the scales to tell us how we feel to actually listening to our bodies. I don't imagine there is an end date for that.

If you can manage 3 months my hat is off to you - and I can relate to missing the 100lb mark, I'm pretty sure I just missed the 70lb one (thank you pant-o-meter) !

Here's to another scale free day.
Nat

razzle
Sat, Mar-02-02, 19:49
hi allison, joy, seds. :) It's nice to see the scale-free group growing (while also shrinking as individuals.)

Ruth
Mon, Mar-04-02, 23:28
Today I am joining you in the scale countdown - haven't done ketostix for ages, don't think I'll ever try to pee on a stick again :p .

This is my challenge: will not weigh until the end of my 8th week of BFL, March 24, and then will weigh again at the end of 12 weeks. I've tucked the scales out of sight & 'vow' to stay off the d**n scale until those dates.

Natrushka
Tue, Mar-05-02, 08:55
WTG Ruth!! :thup:

I must admit it gets easier and easier with each passing day not to want to 'check' - and while 'checking' never really effected my outlook on LC - I am getting much more of a kick out of seeing my relfection in the mirror when I workout. I still can't believe those are my legs!

Nat

razzle
Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:56
I fell off the wagon/onto the scale this morning. Can't even explain the why--was groggy, but not THAT groggy--I knew what I was doing.

Okay, so...tomorrow is Day 1 for me again. It'll be interesting to see if I can actually make it three months--no, heck, one month will be hard enough!

Do I change my stats or not? Seems like a reward for poor performance.... :rolleyes:

Joy Taylor
Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:43
I find that I've had to talk myself out of weighing several times a day. I think I'm going to have my dh tuck it away for me. I know that I'm doing well I can feel it, and thats what I want. Being so new to this woe I think I need to jump on the scale to prove to myself that it is working, but that goes against my approach of not wanting this to be a diet. Do you think it is possible to stay off the scale until I reach the size of clothing I want to be in and then start adding carbs??? Now thats a challenge. I think it could also be a gift, less likely to know about stalls!!!

Razzle, I went to my profile and indicated that I'm not weighing.
less tempting to get on the scale this way.

Joy

allisonm
Tue, Mar-05-02, 23:26
Hey Razzle! Congratualations! :thup: I know you've been struggling -- I'm so happy for you! Yes, change your stats and forgive yourself.

Actually, I'm a tiny bit relieved that I won't be the first to break the pact (sorry, raz :rolleyes: ). Six weeks is long enough for me. In that time I've added a lot of calories, added exercise, and added several supplements. I kinda need to know where I stand. I won't know how to interpret the results in any case, since I've made so many changes all at the same time, but if I'm stalled I want to know.

I will weigh Monday (tom right now). Then I'll be right back on the bandwagon with the rest of you.

Allison

Karen
Wed, Mar-06-02, 00:21
Do you think it is possible to stay off the scale until I reach the size of clothing I want to be in and then start adding carbs???

Of course it's possible, but why would you want to start adding carbs back into your WOE? Do you want to be out of the size of clothing you want to be in? ;)

Karen

agonycat
Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:49
I was doing so well.

The scale tripped me this morning, now I have to start over again. (at least it showed one pound less)

blek....back to square one.

:(

Joy Taylor
Wed, Mar-06-02, 09:24
Karen if I didn't add carbs to my woe what would I add to prevent me from continuing to go down in size?

Thanks for you advise.

Joy

razzle
Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:13
aww, thanks allison. It wasn't much, but then...as a percentage of what I have to go, I guess it was.

AC, I feel guilty....as if my jump onto the scale is a virus that you caught. Ah well, here we are again, day 1. :)

Karen
Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:28
I always get worried when people say they are going to eat carbs after reaching goal. So often it seems to set off a weight gain rebound. You may have meant good carbs in the form of vegetables and a few fruits.

During the process of OWL, you increase your carbs by 5 grams a week to a point where you're still losing. Going into the Maintenance phase of Atkins, you increase it by 10 so you're losing very slowly.

These are the key points from the new edition:

THe key to success on pre-maintenance is advancing very slowly, losing less than a pound each week for two to three months
Nothing will have a more significant effect on reducing your long-term risks for cardiovascular disease, hypertension and diabetes than maintaining a healthy weight
Increase daily carbohydrate intake by ten grams per week so long as you continue to lose, adding new foods slowly and carefully

So nuts, higher carb vegetables, legumes, fruit and whole grains in small quantities are all possible. The key is in observing your reaction very carefully to find out what is right for you.

Karen

Natrushka
Sat, Mar-09-02, 07:03
End of week 5 and the compulsive in me needed to update the excel chart/progress report. Weight is up and measurements down. I'm very happy :D . Will post breakdowns in my journal later.

Nat

doreen T
Sat, Mar-09-02, 07:57
Originally posted by Karen
THe key to success on pre-maintenance is advancing very slowly, losing less than a pound each week for two to three months Holy smokes!!! I've been in pre-maintenance phase since September, and didn't even know it :p .. all the while thinking I'm doing OWL at 15 - 25g effective carbs. Scary thought ;)

I'm debating joining yer challenge. I rather like the visual effect of the jaggy spike up-and-down lines on my weight graph at fitday. Looks more like an ECG than a daily weight chart.

:daze:

Doreen

Ruth
Mon, Mar-11-02, 00:32
stepped on the scale today, just couldn't resist. Back to square 1.

Princesspp
Mon, Mar-11-02, 15:56
Nat,

Good idea putting up a post like this. :D

I hate getting on the scale... but still Have to do it regularly...even though my husband yells at me when I do (lovingly)... because the ups and downs of everyday can get very discouraging...

I have my next weigh in on this Friday, the 15th, and am going to try and throw my scale out the window for another month... I have been sneaking a peek too often again... and only to get kicked in the butt... :bash:

I want to be included in this double dare.... I think it's a cool idea!!! :cool:

Thanks for the idea
Sally

razzle
Mon, Mar-11-02, 16:53
welcome, sally. Nice to have you on board! monthly sounds like a nice, sane weighing schedule. (If I promise "never" maybe I can achieve monthly. lol)

Not this week, tho--I realized I have an MD appt to discuss the results of thyroid and hormone testing, so I will have to weigh on Wednesday. But after that, really. :rolleyes: i mean it. lol

Princesspp
Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:19
Razzle,

Thank you for the wonderful welcome. I am horribly addicted to the scale, and have a horrible time keeping off of it... but found that I get too depressed and then find myself cheating alittle more and alittle more... I can get on the scale 3-5 times a day, and HAVE done that... and it drove me absolutely nuts.

This is a harder habit to kick than carbos... :lol:

Last time I got on the scale was Saturday... and I was pleased with the results, but it wasn't the "official" weigh in... that's Thursday... I'm keeping my fingers crossed and toes too!! :)

Thanks again for the welcome!
Sally :wave:

allisonm
Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:23
So I finally weighed myself yesterday and today. I've gained 9 pounds. I am not happy.

I have no reason to think it's water. I know some of it is muscle, I can see and feel muscle like never before. But can you even put on 9 pounds of muscle? I only started resistance training a month ago and I haven't even gotten to free weights yet. I swear I haven't been using anabolic steroids or creatine!

And what happened to losing? I was losing for 7 months before this 6 week interval.

I know, I know, my journal is totally out of date. Here's what I've changed in the past six weeks:

- I've added calories to meet the 10 - 12x minimum.
- For two weeks I walked a lot, then I switched to an elliptical with intervals of high intensity (20 min/day, 4 days/week). For the past month I've added 3 one hour sessions/week on a Pilates machine with LOTS of resistance. I still get 2 days/week off from exercise in there.
- I've added whey protein and lots of it. I was using no supplemental protein before, just food. It seemed like a nice respite from meat. No hidden carbs here.
- I've added glutamine, carnitine, CLA, fish oil, Omega something balanced oil blend (one of those cold pressed oil combos), ALA, evening primrose oil, biotin.
- I've added FlaxOMeal cereal daily. No hidden carbs, but could the wheat bran or germ be a problem?
- I'm eating only 10% as many nuts as before.
- I've nearly eliminated all the low-carb products like Keto cocoa, Carbolite chocolate, low-carb bars, etc. There was just one night when I inexplicably went on a small binge with that stuff again.
- I'm now using only 1/4 the heavy cream I was using before.
- I've added more butter.
- I'm getting more of my carbs from veggies.
- I have cautiously toyed with low-dosage ECA stacks. I have a phobia of caffeine so I won't go far with this. Could I be so sensitive to caffeine that I excreted enough insulin to store fat?

I was so pleased with my progress until I stepped on the d**n scale. I've come so far along with the exercise I can't believe it. But seriously, how much muscle could I have put on?

It's hard to judge whether I'm any smaller, since I am still huge. I should have measured from the beginning but didn't. My jeans seem to fit the same. But since weighing myself I am more conscious of my stomach than before. (Was that really there before?)

I'll try to drop by the doctor's office later this week and ask to step on their scale.

I've had a brief cry over this; now I'm grudgingly recovering. I don't want to discourage anyone from not weighing. I've only weighed in about every six weeks from the beginning and it has given a tremendous peace of mind and forced me to focus on other measures of success (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=296937#post296937). Stepping on the scale yesterday only made me miserable. I was so happy with how strong I've become until then.

Just needed to vent. (Sigh).

Allison

Princesspp
Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:23
:Party: :Party: :Party: :Party: :Party: :Party: :Party: :Party: :Party:

I just noticed I got a 3rd egg!!!! -- boy am I moving up or what!!!

:cheer:
Sally

Natrushka
Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:31
Allison, before you let the numbers get to you (further) think about what used to happen when you weighed every day - I could be 171 one day and then 176 the next. If I were doing the once a week weighing method and got on the scale on the wrong day I'd have had a very different view of my progress that week.

I suspect that some of those 9 lbs are muscle. I also suspect that some of it is just part of the daily/weekly flucuation that we all experience. My advice - which goes against the whole idea of this thread - check again tomorrow or the day after. And while you're at it weigh one of your dumbbells for accuracy.

Oopps, more advice - go take those measurements NOW. You need a baseline for comaprison - if you continue with the weight lifting this will happen again - but that is the point. You're looking to get some lean mass.

Nat

Princesspp
Mon, Mar-11-02, 20:30
Allison,

When I would jump on the scale multiple times a day, let alone multiple times a week ... I'd always have major fluctuations. I used to even think it had something to do with putting it in the exact spot on the floor every time. (boy talk about obsessive compulsive :lol: ) I, like Nat, can fluctuate 5-6 pounds from the beginning of the day - to after work 5:00, and if I've behaved myself during the day, I can almost always guarentee 4 pounds down from the nightime before bed, to the morning before shower, but then by the time I'd get home from work, I'd be back at where I started again... So you may want to set a specific time of the day, and specific time of the week for your official weighin, for regularity... :there:

I can't help you with the weightlifting thing, but part of the weight gain CAN be from muscle build up.

I'm not a professional in this, but all I can say, is don't give up, and keep on working at it.

:daze:
Sally
Better tomorrows...

allisonm
Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:04
Originally posted by Natrushka
Allison, before you let the numbers get to you (further) think about what used to happen when you weighed every day - I could be 171 one day and then 176 the next.Nat, this is an excellent point. In my panic I didn't think of it. I might have been at a low point in the fluctuation in January, and then a high point yesterday and today. That could account for a lot. Thank you for pointing it out.

I think I'll follow your advice to become a measurer too.

Sally, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't take the reading seriously unless I weigh myself under optimal conditions. So the ones I count are always: at the right time of the month, before breakfast, after the bathroom, before the shower, and wearing only my contacts to read the dial. You're not the only obsessive-compulsive around here!

Allison

razzle
Tue, Mar-12-02, 09:42
((((Allison)))) I'm so sorry about your frustrated day with the scale. I hate the darned things for just this reason--too many of us have days like that!

Well, as long as we're discussing obsessive behaviors with the scale, yes, I DO have an optimal spot on my bathroom floor...and I take my WATCH off, if you can believe it...and I've found if I put just a little more weight onto my left foot than my right on this scale, I can shave off a half pound. In this challenge, the hardest mornings (and of COURSE mornings--who'd weigh at night? lol) for me to stay off are when I have a first-thing-in-the-morning BM, because those are the really good scale days. (shaking head at self while writing this). Can I at least win "honorable mention" in the "weird relationship with scale" competition? :D

GatorGal93
Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:21
You folks have a lot more willpower than I do, but I can tell you one thing. I do not get on the scale for 1 week of the month. No way, no how. I will try to make it a weekly event in the future.

Good luck, all!

Julie

P.S. Someone told me once that you weigh less in the a.m. after a shower than before. Does dirt weigh THAT much? LOL

Natrushka
Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:00
Originally posted by razzle
[BWell, as long as we're discussing obsessive behaviors with the scale, yes, I DO have an optimal spot on my bathroom floor[/B]

LOL, I thought I was the only one. I was actually examining the new ceramic floor in my bathroom trying to find that same spot the other day. I also caught myself wondering if these new artificial nail tips weigh anything ;)

Nat

Victoria
Tue, Mar-12-02, 12:34
You guys are all too funny! But seriously....Allison, you have really stepped up the exercise program. I am truly impressed. So some of that has to be muscle building. And then some of that could be just fluctuation. I "supposedly" gained 5 pounds today. I know I can't have gained 5 pounds in a day. I probably ate too much salt or something. Either that or my scale is a BIG FAT LIAR! Can you tell I'm not speaking to my scale today? That is a good example of why we should stay off of them. BUT...I don't think I have the courage or willpower at the moment. One addiction at a time, ladies. ;) I do admire you who can abstain. Are you guys including measuring tapes in your challenge? Or is that too much? :p Victoria

Princesspp
Tue, Mar-12-02, 13:52
Boy you guys,

My husband sits and shakes his head when I tell him about my scale antics... and now I know I'm not alone in this world... :lol:

I sat and downright laughed when I read some of the submissions after my last one... thanx guys... I really needed it!!

:eek:
I DID cheat this morning, and found I hadn't fluctuated... (musta found my spot on the floor and had the right underwear on... :lol: )

I told my happy hubby and he just growled at me... his job is to keep the scale away from me between official weigh-ins... (he's not doing his job well... but at least I'm still doin' good... (better hold till Friday!!))

:bhug:
Allison... just hang in there!!! I've been stymied for the last 3 months... don't let it get to ya!!!

Sally

allisonm
Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:50
Thanks, everybody, for the sympathy and support. Stupid scale this morning said the same thing. But then it said the same again this afternoon after lunch, a quart of water and fully clothed.

The scale is now going back into hiding for another six weeks. Enough of this.

I may have failed the scale test, but I find myself having to increase the weight in my resistance workout again, add another set of everything, move up the setting on the elliptical and add another high-intensity interval to my cardio workout. I'll take that as my reward for now. I feel like taking a sledgehammer to the scale. How dare it not notice my improvements!

Allison

Natrushka
Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:58
Originally posted by allisonm
I feel like taking a sledgehammer to the scale. How dare it not notice my improvements!

When you put that sledgehammer down, Allison, pick up the measuring tape, OK? ;)

Nat

allisonm
Wed, Mar-13-02, 21:37
The last reading on the scale before it's banished again today, put me at 5 pounds higher than the third week of January. Better.

Nat -- yes, I'll measure. But the engineer comes out in me and I get very bothered by the inaccuracy of measuring my fat body. I mean, pulling in my stomach a bit makes a difference of a couple inches, as does moving my arms, or the angle or placement of the tape. I feel like I should use a permanent marker so I measure the same spot next time. I feel stupid asking this but any directions on how to measure? Which part of my hips? What about that dreadful, fat, hangy-down part below my belly button that women in magazines don't have? Does it get measured along with something? Which part of my upper arm? Should the arm be hanging down to the side or sticking out to the side or what?

Sorry to be a pain about this.

Anyway, I think I've finally figured out how to do a crunch properly. My abs, instead of my neck, were screaming at me yesterday and today I felt much firmer in the waist, like my belly was being held in more than usual. I think these pants I'm wearing feel looser. I think I'm losing fat! :D

Allison

Natrushka
Thu, Mar-14-02, 07:53
Allison, I would be surprized with all your efforts and exercise if you werent losing fat :)

Measuring can be a PITA (Pain in the ...) Try using the PP method - measure 3 x and take the average. Also, try to use landmarks ;) I use a birthmark, a freckle, a scar, etc. As for the fat that kinda hangs, it shouldnt be measured as part of your hips, go below / under it for that measurement. Also, when measuring for body fat remember to contract the abs - get all the air out of your diaphram and then measure - You're measuring muscle, bone and fat, not air.

If you give yourself enough time between measurements I'm sure you'll notice a significant change. Four weeks outta do it!

5 lbs since January sounds about right for muscle, Allison. Growth is typically .5lb a week in women doing intense weight training.

Nat

razzle
Thu, Mar-14-02, 11:01
allison, I imagine you marked with a black permanent marker and lines and "x"'s all over your bod...maybe notes that say "measure here!" you may start a new fashion trend! :D Kate Moss will be emailing you for advice.
Nat, I've averaged 1 # added muscle per month since I started...working hard the last 9 months...but that slightly slower rate might be a function of my age. I'm grateful for the fact I can still add good muscle at all!

Okay guys, this is DAY 1 for me again. As I promised in my journal--no weighing or tape measuring until U.S. tax day. Then I'll probably get on the scale that morning--I'll be so upset about those checks I have to send off, even if I haven't lost an ounce, the scale will be the least of my frustrations.

Princesspp
Thu, Mar-14-02, 13:49
:bash:
You know ... ever since I signed up for this challenge... I've been on the scale every day !!! :o :rolleyes: But tomorrow is my official -- of course in the morning before getting dressed ... :lol: and then my next official weigh in is April 15th.

I have a 3 day weekend coming up ... but feel I can keep myself busy enough to not get caught up in the "boredom hungries"...

Gotta go ... just wanted to drop a line to let you guys know I was still here... and by tomorrow afternoon, the scale will be history again (yea right :lol: )

Love ya all!
Sally

Princesspp
Fri, Mar-15-02, 16:09
:hyper: :hyper:

Okay ... I did my official weigh in this morning and am absolutely ecstatic!!!! :D I'm down 3 pounds from the 178 I was on March 1st, and 6.75 inches down!!! :D

This may not sound like much, but when I've been seeing 178 178 178 178 178 178 178 178 178 (well you get the point) since before Thanksgiving, I was starting to wonder, but now that I've joined this website, I seem to be getting myself back on track... :D

Now that I've seen some progress and finding that the way I'm eating IS making a difference :D I think I can put the scale on the side, and keep working on my eating habits........ :hyper: :hyper:

:cheer: :Party: :cheer:
Love ya all :D
Sally

Princesspp
Sun, Mar-17-02, 08:40
2 days = no scale 29 to go...

Now that I know the scale went in the right direction and I've been on the right track with my eating habits.. I know I can do it...

Just thought I'd drop a line... I'm breaking my scale habit...
takes 21 days to break a habit... and I only have 19 to go :lol:

Sally

canamer
Thu, Mar-21-02, 08:49
I think I can...I think I can..

Wow! What a goal! No scale until April 15. I'm only a moderate scale addict but it is once a day. Okay. I can do it! That's less than a month away!

Thanks for such an awesome thread. The scale can get discouraging. Now if it will only take a nose dive by April 15!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay away from those scales!!!!!!!!!!

Kati

Natrushka
Thu, Mar-21-02, 08:54
:thup: that's the spirit, Kati !

Why let an inanimate object determine how we feel about our WOL? I've actually been getting more of a kick trying on different sized jeans from my collection of smaller clothing. Just for fun I'll pull on a pair of size 20s and stand there stunned at the fact that they once were tight!

Nat

razzle
Thu, Mar-21-02, 09:58
yay, kati!

It has been a week for me, and I have to say, I'm feeling as if I can easily make it to Tax Day. The bizarre effect of this is that I feel so much thinner than I did a week ago! I'm sure if I stepped on the scale, it'd be the same old, same old, so I don't think I'm getting thinner in my body--it's in my head! (and no, I don't mean I'm losing brain mass...lol). Forced to look somewhere else than at the stupid little window on the scale to measure my progress, I do so...and I see the results like I have not been seeing them before. I've been reading/doing exercises in body image/emotional eating books, too, and that may have contributed to this process, but whatever the cause, at this point, I cannot recommend being scale-free enough. The feeling is similar to getting a "whoosh," but I don't have to rely on externals to get it--it's all in the attitude! :)

Too often too many of us end up with a world limited to that tiny window (or LED readout) on the face of the scale. It determines our mood, our self-concept. Imagine....a life limited by this two square inches! How could I have spent a lifetime letting that happen?

Princesspp
Thu, Mar-21-02, 15:17
Okay ... well -- I've goofed.. the scale spirit came into the bedroom one day this week, and pulled me into the bathroom where it resides...

When I got in there, I kept telling it no - no :nono: but it kept coaxing and finally I gave in .... and it wasn't bad, just stayed the same ... I may have willpower when it comes to my new / old eating habits, but for some reason, I just can't beat that Scale Spirit :daze: It always wins... and as long as it behaves itself, I'll be happy ... but I'm not 100% relying on the results it whispers in my ears...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chrisews
Sun, Mar-24-02, 14:48
Do you believe, I don't own a scale. I have to go to the clubhouse of my condo to weigh myself and I have only been doing it once a week. The really scary thing about not weighing is that I was not weighing when I got this way. Measureing is a good idea. What I have done is to go to a few Thrift shops and buy clothes just a little too small for me and hopefully shrink into them. I have gone down 2 full sized, from a 20w to 16w, now I have been buying regular 16's, then I guess I'll move to 14's. Oh, this is so exciting and it's a lot more fun than measuring myself.As for peeing on a stick, I have yet to see any color change at all. I can't figure it out, as you can see, I have lost some weight. Someone on another thread mentioned a protein fast to jump start the process, maybe I 'll give that a try,. Chris :wave: :wave:

monika
Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:06
i will not step on a scale ! i swear ! thanks for all the support!

canamer
Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:46
This scale challenge is great. I haven't stepped on it at all since I've joined.

But, oh, Lord, have I cheated. ... But, that's for another portion of the message board. I seem to be losing my quest to avoid ooey gooey sugary stuff. (Definately my weakness!)

Hope everyone is doing great!!

Kati

JUDAHprazr
Tue, Apr-02-02, 22:45
I should have come across this thread yesterday!!!! After spending an hour and a half in Wally World trying to find that "perfect" scale that said what I wanted it to say, purchasing it, and bringing it home to proudly display it in the kitchen so that when I walk through there, I might weigh instead of eat.....NOW I COME ACROSS THIS CHALLENGE!!!!

Hmmmmmm.....I wonder if I can get my money back?, oh, and by the way.....I like the scales at the fitness center the most! They are 15 lbs lighter than my doctors! Speaking of which....what if I don't weigh????? And it's my doctor's nurse that weighs me???? Does that count?????? *smile* :D

:wave:

Princesspp
Wed, Apr-03-02, 07:40
The scale had actually started to move again... and I was so thrilled to see it WASN'T broken :lol: that I've been addicted to it ...

Boy ... this scale thing is harder to break than the actual changing of my eating habits :lol:

Oops ... well next month is another month!!

canamer
Sat, Apr-06-02, 18:18
I have been scale-free since March 21 without even one little urge to be taken in by the little devil. THANK YOU NAT!!!!!!

My son wanted to see how much I weighed one day so I stepped on the scale for him to check it but swore him to secrecy. The sweetheart didn't say a word!!!!!!!! So, I have no clue of any numerical change.

Is anyone interested in extending the challenge to April 30? Just 15 days more ... especially for those of us who got brainwashed by that hunk of metal a few times. Let's show it that we've got it beat!!!!!

Kati

razzle
Sun, Apr-07-02, 09:24
Kati, April 15 is going to fall right at first day of TOM for me, so I was going to delay anyway...so thanks for the new date, and yes, I'm in! :) (I can't help but notice it's easier for me to do this by promising a short time then extending than fulfilling a "three month" obligation)

I cannot recommend this enough especially to slow losers. I've been so much more cheerful about the process and felt like so much more of a "success story" while staying off the scale. If I get on April 30 and found I've lost nothing, I won't be much bothered...but had I gotten on the scale twice a week and seen no loss for 13 times in a row...wow, that would have been hard for me.

Ruth
Sun, Apr-07-02, 12:29
Hi gang,

My heart has not really been in this challenge. I weigh about 2 x a week, and I really don't like not being able to step on my scale. Some of you will say that means I really need this challenge ;) :p but the challenges of making the right foods choices, which is easier now than a year ago, and keeping up with my BFL program as well as working on long-term issues in my life are challenge enough. I'm opting out but do want to encourage each of you who want to accept this challenge.

I wish you all well in avoiding the :devil: scale. I hope you all see amazing losses when you check the pant-o-meter.

BTW, the scale has been kind to me this week, 2 lbs Wed, 1 lb Fri, 1lb Sun. I can't remember the last time I lost 4 lbs in 1 week.

TTFN

razzle
Thu, May-16-02, 10:45
doing this challenge really broke me of the scale habit, and I can't recommend that enough.

Let's be honest...who really needs to know their exact weight? Jockeys? Astronauts when they're computing payload and fuel? Not I, certainly.

Now I seldom weigh and no longer care what it says. Clothes-o-meter is sufficient measuring for me, but even that cannot determine my self-worth.

I know I'm doing fine with the way of eating because I am doing fine with the way of eating. I can control that. I cannot control what the scale does.
So come on, all you scale-obsessed folks! Join in! Can you make it until June 15 without stepping on the Metal Monster?

lesleyc
Thu, May-16-02, 15:34
i confess that i had bailed out of this thread some weeks ago, being fixated on the "metal monster" for my weekly weigh in.

...That has all changed. I have not been on them for two weeks now and am planning to stay off them until 28 June. That's because we are off on holiday on 29 June and I am determined to hang out until then :D My target is to be dwon 5 more lbs

....and to date the pant-o-metre (in fact the jeans-0- metre) is telling me things are on track :thup:

...it is so liberating :D

Lesley

canamer
Fri, May-17-02, 08:35
I've really broken the scale demon! Thanks to Nat! We appreciate your challenge!

Razzle, you are absolutely right. Stepping on a scale one time and seeing no loss isn't nearly as horrible as 15 times with no loss!

I have gotten on the scale once or twice since our last deadline. Then I went off on a serious sugar attack so I avoided it because I didn't want to see what I had gained! Now I'm back on track and just stepped on this morning to see where I am.

I'm hovering around the same mark for 6 weeks now. Not because of a plateau mind you...just sugar addiction!!!! Now, I'm going to stay serious so that when June 28 rolls around maybe I'll see a change!

Only 15 to go!!!!!!!!!!!! GOod luck to all!

Kati :D

razzle
Fri, Jun-28-02, 07:58
I'm resurrecting this thread, cuz I still think it's the smartest idea going!

Doing this was the final piece of the puzzle for me. I weigh maybe once a month now, and now I have no emotional reaction at all to what the scale says! Down a pound--fine. Up five? just as fine.

Getting off the scale was great. I shifted the focus to behavior (the only thing I can control) and away from that which I could not affect.

So for people who were new back then, now settled into a slower loss rate....jump aboard!

How long can YOU go?

Natrushka
Mon, Aug-05-02, 13:54
Ok, I too am resurrecting this thread. I've just started a mini 8 week workout / change of diet plan (again) and I did my measuring yesterday - still no scale steppage though. I'm interested in keeping this up.

Not stepping on the scale has changed my attitude about many things, I and like it. 8 weeks from now I'll be at the end of my 4th Challenge (although it's not BFL keeping track in 3 months periods makes life easier and rest periods more likely) and I will be pulling out the test pants, the tape measure and perhaps stepping on the scale - I haven't decided about that one yet.

So, who's with me???

Nat

lesleyc
Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:27
Me!...I love not getting on the scales. in the last few months I have been measuring and weighing only once a month, and it is truly liberating.

It has really helped for me to move from the "dieting" mentality to the WOL mentality.

My next weigh in is supposed to be in 2 weeks, but I will wait until early September so that I can have an official record for having been LCing for 1 year :)

Lesley

Natrushka
Mon, Aug-05-02, 17:09
Very cool, Les.... company!

It's bizarre, but after telling you I thought I was whooshing I just plum forget to check. I figure it's a sign and I'm going to run with it - only I'll leave the running until tomorrow, I'm still weakkneed today ;)

N

chrisews
Mon, Aug-05-02, 21:15
nat, I love your new picture, I've been only weighing once a week up til now, and sometimes not even then, mostly because I've been on a stall and got discouraged looking at the same number. and canamer is right, getting on the scale 15 times and seeing no change is frustrating. i'll give it a shot, to at least once per month. chris

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-06-02, 06:43
Chris, the more the merrier!

So, did we make it to day 1 everyone ;)

Nat

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-06-02, 11:52
Hi NAT, in the not-blue shirt!
I am definitely joining this crusade!
The last time I weighed myself was hmmmm July 23? Maybe? I cant remember.
The last time I peed on a stick was last night :rolleyes:

I am going to weigh myself and take measurements just once a month from now on--the 13th of everymonth to mark my anniversaries! :)

I already threw out my scale-now I guess the ketosticks are going to go along with it!!!'

YIPEEE
vicki

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-06-02, 11:55
Vicki, "join us - be liberated from stick peeing and scale watching - join the dark side" ;)

Nat

lesleyc
Tue, Aug-06-02, 14:02
So far so good!

In fact my scales are now in the back of the wardrobe till 2 September ;)

L

niksauntie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 14:12
I want in, my scales are horrible, mean, awful things that love to taunt me, then destroy me when I give in and step on. They're being retired and i will not weigh until I go to the doc. for a check up at the end of the month.......at least i'll try not to.......

Corrie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:29
Hey!!!
I have NEVER owned any ketostix and I just barely weighed in at the Dr so it's good to go for me!!!

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:36
I was going to say something like "Our numbers are growing" but that might send someone running to check their scales ;)

I'd like to be able to say I haven't peed on a stick in 2003, but alas, there was this incident last month... different stick though!

Nat

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:39
HA HA NAT I do remember that one too. I am trying to recruit!

For the record, Corrie just had a woosh :thup:

I am so psyched now--I think I may even try and give up my diet coke :hyper:

Have a great night!!!
Vicki, the color blind LCer.

Corrie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:41
Miss Vicki - 1 pound is not a whoosh!! But I'll take it.
Nat you are TOO funny...LOL
Where, might I ask, was this stick???

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:42
Corrie
You HAVE to read her journal. She was "late" and the body temp was rising! Then all the other friends started telling of times when they got prego...:lol: very amusing. I remember when it was happening and Nat was praying....I think thats the only time someone likes their period :lol:

Corrie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:44
I get it - I did read that - I just didn't make the stick connection....I was thinking more along the lines of a stick you'd find in the great out doors - so to speak...LOL

Corrie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:47
Vicki - by the way - I was a diet coke junkie.....

I have a challenge for you...not right away but when you feel you can, give it up for 2 weeks. Just 2 weeks and not a sip.....Then if you want to, try it again and I absolutely GUARANTEE you will NEVER be able to stand it again. Let me know and I'll help you!!

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:48
Um. Im not even going to touch that one.

:lol:

ANYWAY--its been a whole day and no ketosticks yeahhhhh
Corrie-we have to recruit Sienna and the others over here...

Corrie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:50
Think about it - and yes - let's get everybody to join!!!

BTW - I have a friend, Tanya and she tried my diet coke challenge - she didn't think she could do it but will tell you it's the truth!!!
I'm gonna go and get her.....

rhubarb
Tue, Aug-06-02, 18:28
Great timing! Yesterday I put my scale on a high up shelf so I can’t step on it. I made resolution not to use it or the tape measure for at least four weeks.

So count me in!

Rhu

VictoriaT
Wed, Aug-07-02, 06:20
Yeah Rhu! WELCOME!!!
Well this morning I almost used a ketostick. I am just so used to doing it :lol: BUT I DIDNT! :cheer:
2 days-no scale, no ketosticks :lol: What a record!

niksauntie
Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:49
Day 1 down!!!! I hid the scales in my towel closet under a big stack of towels (out of sight out of mind) and when I got up this morning out of reflex I turned to where the scales were and they were gone............24 days to go.........

doreen T
Wed, Aug-07-02, 15:07
I realized this morning that I haven't stepped on the scales since last Friday. It just hasn't been important, so I'll join in with y'all to see how long it stays "not important". My scales live in a closet anyway, so it's a pain to dig them out.

So today is Day 5 :cool:

Doreen

VictoriaT
Thu, Aug-08-02, 07:27
Hi DO! Congrats to you. I think that you live close enough to NAT from reading in her journal that if you ever feel like weighing yourself, she can come over and throw your scale out the window for you! hee hee

Day 4 and still no pee pee sticks or scale! I added no diet coke to this list as well--that is day 2 (headaches and all :lol:)

Have a great day everyone!
vicki

doreen T
Thu, Aug-08-02, 07:59
No problem not stepping on the scales today .. I genuinely forgot again. It just kinda hit me as I was eating brekkie that "Oh ya, I'm avoiding the scales" :lol:

On the other hand, I don't want to become chained to the pantometer either. That could just become yet another obsession, like "scale methadone" ... at least for me anyway.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=119103

Here's to a scale-free, obsession-free day everybody :heart:

Doreen

doreen T
Thu, Aug-08-02, 09:28
Originally posted by VictoriaT
Hi DO! Congrats to you. I think that you live close enough to NAT from reading in her journal that if you ever feel like weighing yourself, she can come over and throw your scale out the window for you! hee hee
hi Vicki,

I think Nat knows that I can be a rock when necessary ;)

Congrats to YOU on yer success so far! :thup:

Doreen

niksauntie
Thu, Aug-08-02, 09:37
2 days down......I fell like the scale addiction is harder to kick than the sugar was......Have been very tempted to cheat......but I won't!!

destro
Thu, Aug-08-02, 22:40
Count me in! I don't use ketosticks, but I certainly do not want to become a slave to the scale or have the scale dictate my mental health!

I have not weighed myself in about 10 days. It's going well. I just forge ahead with the WOE.

I would like ideally to weigh only once a month and adopt Razzle's attitude.

Next week, however, I have an appointment to look into Curves for Women and if I decide to join, they might want to weigh me.

But at least it will be them doing it and not me at home!

Thanks for this great idea. I love to be challenged.

Natalie

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-09-02, 06:24
Another day, no weigh. I'm pretty sure the last time was July 20th or around there. I don't miss it - although I'd just love to take some measurements, but I will resist the temptation. I want whole inches gone the next time I pull that piece of plastic coated ribbon out ;)

Yay us!

Nat

niksauntie
Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:15
3 days!!! I'm afraid the only thing stopping me right now is TOM though cause I know I'm bloated and would show a def. gain. Must remeber to ask boyfriend to hide scales elsewhere.

chrisews
Sat, Aug-10-02, 14:55
This is not too hard for me, I do not have a scale in the house, I usually weigh myself only once a week, anyway. i use the scale at the gym where I go for aerobics. or the one in my son's house. But I personally like the pantometer best. As for ketostix, I have a whole package of them and they never change for me so the heck with them. chris :wave:

lesleyc
Sun, Aug-11-02, 14:24
Another week slips by, no scales :thup: I last weighed about 10 days ago... hanging out till 1 September!

lesley

rhubarb
Mon, Aug-12-02, 05:36
This is easier than I thought it would be since I’d been stepping on that evil thing everyday. But today is week two of BFL and No-weigh/No-measure for me. Can’t wait ‘til the pant-o-meter kicks in though.

rhu

doreen T
Mon, Aug-12-02, 07:59
Haven't weighed for over 10 days ... and in spite of a "diet tweak" challenge yesterday, I'm resisting the urge to hop on the scale. Or to use the tape measure or to try on the "goal jeans". Today I FEEL less bloated. That's my gauge :D

I've planned to weigh/ measure/ try on the jeans three weeks from today, Sept. 2 .. which is Labour Day.

Doreen

niksauntie
Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:30
6 Whole days!!!! Today is tempting again cause it's my 1 month point but since sweetie hid the scales I couldn't even if I wanted!!! (may have to have him hide the m. tape too!!!!)

doreen T
Wed, Aug-14-02, 09:51
No weigh, no measure, no try on jeans :) Just going by how I look and feel. Miraculously, in spite of the current heat wave and high humidity .. my feet and ankles haven't blown up. That's progress!

All the best to everyone else -- hope you're resisting that urge :thup:

Doreen

Cinderella
Wed, Aug-14-02, 11:08
Okay...I'm joining the group. I look like an idiot anyways hopping around my bedroom, nude, changing the postion and location of the scale....trying to find the "best" reading....OMG...what have I turned into. I wonder if the neighbours can see through those mini blinds....ackkk!
Sept. 1 is great for me as long as nasty aunt flo isn't lurking.

Maybe I should put it in a box and mail it around the world...hhmmm. Maybe we should all pack up our scales and mail them to each other...

Anyroo...here's to not looking like a fool for a few days...

cin

KMagee
Fri, Aug-16-02, 17:20
Hmmmm.....I have often thought that resisting the morning scale ritual would be a nice idea but never really thought I should/could give it a go until I stumbled upon this thread. Something in the "challenge" part of it is intriguing. Not to mention the fact that others are right there along with me. I'm gonna try for a month - I will not weigh until September 16. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....Karen :cool:

niksauntie
Fri, Aug-16-02, 22:05
10 days down, 15 to go!!!! I really hope I am pleased with what my scales say after all this waiting. As long as they don't say I've gained I'm sure I will be............

KMagee
Sat, Aug-17-02, 08:52
Day 1 was tougher than I thought it would be. I guess I didn't realize how weighing-in was such a part of my routine. Maybe I'll try to drink a bottle of water instead....I think I can, I think I can... :)
Karen

amika
Sat, Aug-17-02, 16:30
This thread is a great idea :idea:

Even if I threw out the sticks last month and gave away my scale over 15 years ago - on the pretense its color didn't match my bathroom anymore - I asked some friends if they owned a scale when I visited last Saturday. The scale had to be taken out of its box :lol:

Next time will be at the clinic when I go for tests, 2 weeks before my Dr's appointment. I don't [I] have to weigh myself at the clinic, but then it will give me an idea what to expect at the dr's, - ya right ! :there: and besides it will make it ± one month from last Saturday ! Until then, no peaking !!!

Keep on keeping on :dazzle:

rhubarb
Mon, Aug-19-02, 11:00
Starting week three of BFL, and no weigh/no measure. It's getting hard, since the pant-o-meter has not kicked in. I know better than to get that scale down off the shelf – last time I used weights in a workout, the scale would not budge – but it took real self-control to pretend I didn't see the tape measure yesterday when I ran across it in the drawer where I'd stashed it a while back!

chrisews
Mon, Aug-19-02, 18:55
I was so proud of myself today, I was at the gym (which is one of my places to weigh since I don't have a scale) and I resisted. Now, I'll be on vacation for 14 days, so I can't weigh myself at least, til I come back. I'm doing it. chris :wave:

Jelly
Tue, Aug-20-02, 02:22
I have only been on the Atkins diet for six days. Today is my 7th day and I have only found this thread today. Unfortunately, I weighed myself today, but I think it is a great thing not to do. I am still sceptical about the Atkins because I have always eaten a very low fat diet and the scales help me to justify that it is working. Here in Dublin, Ireland it is extremely difficult to get specialty food that is low in carb, in the gym everything is sooooo high in it that just by looking I am afraid :mad: ! Anyway, I would love to give this a whil, so here goes, no more weighing,

Lorraine

kmar
Wed, Aug-21-02, 09:24
Originally posted by Cinderella
Okay...I'm joining the group. I look like an idiot anyways hopping around my bedroom, nude, changing the postion and location of the scale....trying to find the "best" reading....OMG...what have I turned into. I wonder if the neighbours can see through those mini blinds....ackkk!
Sept. 1 is great for me as long as nasty aunt flo isn't lurking.

Maybe I should put it in a box and mail it around the world...hhmmm. Maybe we should all pack up our scales and mail them to each other...

Anyroo...here's to not looking like a fool for a few days...

cin

Oh my god!! I laughed out loud in work when I read this - That is me! I do it to. I think I reposition the scales about 5 times before I accept the reading!!

I have GOT to stop this madness!

Luxsit
Wed, Aug-21-02, 16:14
I don't know if I'm ready to kick the scale habit just yet... Kinda get withdrawals just thinking about it. I have moved away from the daily weigh-in though. I not weighing in until Saturday, which is a week for me.

Lux :wave:

niksauntie
Wed, Aug-21-02, 16:18
15 days-no weigh!!!! Yeah!!!!!! Since I had the scales hidden from me it has been much easier not to think about jumping on them (I did search the house in a moment of weakness one day though)

cori
Thu, Aug-22-02, 14:26
I am an official scale addict. As part of a weight loss support group we formed at work, I brought my scale in for everyone to use. I got on it on Tuesday when I started the WOE. I was 232. I wanted to get on it today. But they wouldn't let me. My mini-goal is to skip next week and get on it after 14 days. So September 3rd is my goal.

"Hi, my name is Cori, and I'm a scale-a-holic"

And the group says:

"Hi Cori!"

Natrushka
Thu, Aug-22-02, 14:50
"Hi Cori"

"Scales suck" :)

Welcome to our countdown thread!
Nat

niksauntie
Thu, Aug-22-02, 17:12
Went to the dr. today and they weighed me, so technically I didn't cheat it was just part of the visit.......was pleased to see they were at least being friendly to me today (the scales, not my dr.) 11.5 lbs down, wont weigh again until I go back for my 2 wk check up.

Katy131
Tue, Aug-27-02, 10:01
Last stepped on the scale sometime at the end of April 2002 to get an "annual" baseline (started low carb 30th April 2001). Being free of the scales has really taken me out of the "diet" mentality. This is the Way I Eat!! (and I am still losing!)

Never had to use a ketostix cos my program doesn't include them ..... :p

Next plan to get on the scale? April 2003!! LOL :D

Katy

rhubarb
Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:00
Just checking in … still haven't stepped on the scale since … I'm not even sure when. Think it was when I started BFL, and that would have been 3.5 weeks ago. It's getting hard, since the pant-o-meter STILL hasn't kicked in. Somehow I don't think that stepping on the scale will make me feel any better, though! I'm determined to stick it out 'til the end of the BFL challenge – 8.5 more weeks!

doreen T
Thu, Aug-29-02, 20:17
OK, I've been off my scales at home for 27 days. However, last Friday at the cancer clinic with my sister .. she urged me to get on their super-duper accurate digital scale. Which I did, and it was up ... BUT, I didn't pay any attention to it because it was the afternoon, I'd eaten breakfast and lunch, was fully clothed, shoes etc etc. So, as far as I'm concerned it didn't count.

I measured my bust, waist and hips loosely a couple weeks ago, so that I could fit a pattern for a dress I was making. So that doesn't count either ;)

I might skip my proposed weigh & measure on Labour Day. :) Who knows, maybe I can hold out till Thanksgiving (October 14 in Canada).

Doreen

Theresafed
Thu, Sep-05-02, 07:47
Ok just got wind of this thread!

I don't own a scale but tend to jump on my parents all the time, and I pee on a stick whenever I think of it.SOOOOOOOO.... here goes nothing. I am going to have my last weigh in and pee this weekend and then go 4weeks cold turkey. HE HE HE

I will post again Monday night with the final weigh in and stuff.

:wave:

skywind
Thu, Sep-05-02, 08:36
What an interesting thread! I just can't do it, though--I've found that I need the daily encouragement/kick in the butt to stick with my plan. I don't have to move my scale around the bathroom; I know it's accurate, and I average my weight once a week to even out the highs and lows, so I don't think I'm TOO addicted. OTOH, I'm going on a business trip next week (five days) and am SERIOUSLY thinking of taking the scale. So perhaps I am a bit addicted.

Sky

Catmom
Sat, Sep-07-02, 08:05
Can I jump in here too? I have been reluctant to stop weighing, but the daily fluctuations are making me totally nuts. SO the pantometer is is for me. No more scales. You know it is funny but I didn't been know we had a scale until my DH told me we did. He's been keeping it in his office. So now I am addicted to it - well here goes, cold turkey starting today. Didn't do my morning weigh in and have no plan to weigh in for the rest of September.

Theresafed
Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:37
Well, I did even get a chance to weigh of pee so I guess I am officially in!!! I feel so goo at the moment I dodn't care about any of that other stuff.

Here is to 4 weeks till I weigh in...that is officially about October 7th. Wish me LUCK!!!!

sunshine2
Tue, Sep-10-02, 08:33
I haven't weighed since August 3rd, and I feel so good about it. My goal is to either weigh at the end of this month or the beginning of next, not sure which yet.....But it has made me feel so good not worrying about what those damned scales say.

Haven't did the ketostix in ages, so no problem there.

sunshine2
Wed, Sep-25-02, 13:31
Still haven't weighed.....

UtahKat
Wed, Oct-16-02, 12:09
Hey! I like this thread! Good idea! If any of you are still out there, c'mon back, you all can beat me EASY!!!!

Ketostix- no, hmm, come to think of it, have some but haven't bothered in months.

Calipers- no, with my obsessive compulsive nature, thought seriously about it but recognized the trap!

Measurements- started down that road, measured my waist and had a crying fit. Enough of THAT!

Scales- uh oh- I'm in REAL TROUBLE here! Maybe I can set my goal to be only once a DAY to start? But I am losing weight really fast right now, and it is so fun to see!

Kat

TriciaW
Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:46
I am a daily scale-er. My new mini-goal is to weigh myself on Novemeber 7th, the day I leave for my wedding trip, and not before then. I will then be gone for three weeks so it will be a forced abstinence. Wow is that going to be hard. Okay, I may check in here daily just for moral support. God, give me the strength to get through the weekend and not peek at the scales.....

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:17
An observation...... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95127)

I think it's time to resurrect this oldie but goodie... who's up for a challenge?

Nat

SummerYet
Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:49
I am willing to give this a try. This is the "final test" for LCing for me. I will do everything I am supposed to for 1 MONTH. If I still don't see a change I am out of here. If I make a mistakein that month, I will start the count again. I need something.
Next weigh in...April 30.
~Michelle

Natrushka
Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:59
One month it is then, Michelle - I'm going to try and make it longer, until mid May when C7 finishs and then restart with a view to the end of June.

Anyone else?

N

SummerYet
Sat, Mar-29-03, 17:15
You are a better person than me! :) I am hoping I can make it the month!
~Michelle

nawchem
Sat, Mar-29-03, 17:21
Yes, I'm with you. No weighing until May 12th. I just spent 9 days in a mood, bingeing on carbs because I gained 3 pounds and a half inch on my waist when Tom started. I get so emotional about any gain its torture. I usually weigh first thing in the morning and I do an after dinner weigh-in to get my max weight.

Can I ask, the last time you did the no weigh, what were the benefits to you?

Natrushka
Sat, Mar-29-03, 18:08
Nancy, the biggest, single most important benefit of not weighing every day, IMHO, is the control you take back over your life.

Ever notice that on days when you like what the scale says you're happy and "up" but on days you don't, things are depressing and your mood suffers? All because you stepped on the scale! Your clothing still fits. You're still the same person you were the day before. How can that little piece of metal and plastic have so much control over you? Not weighing is, to me, snubbing the scale. It makes me feel in control!

Nat

Cher422
Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:48
Ok, I'm in. I am going to weigh in on April 1st to get the starting point for an April Challenge, and then I will not step on it again until May 1st!! That's a LONG time to go!! (I usually hop on every morning or so......) It's time to avoid being a slave to the scale!!

-Cher

SummerYet
Sun, Mar-30-03, 07:37
K...LOL...I am in day 1...almost forgot and popped on out of habit! :)

~Michelle

Natrushka
Sun, Mar-30-03, 08:32
Day one is done!

Tip: I've found that if I have a nice big glass of water as soon as I get out of bed I have no desire to check the scale :)

Nat

SummerYet
Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:53
Good idea! I know I want everything OUT of my body before i get on the scale :)

~Michelle

nawchem
Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:39
I feel great today. Kind of hard to describe but I'm just myself and not a number, I don't have the limitations (self-imposed) of what I can and can't do because I weigh x amount. Very freeing.

I noticed something else too about my thinking. I weighed and measured on Friday. I thought today I wouldn't measure its only been 2 days-so why do I expect to jump on the scale and see some any kind of meaningful change?

This is a very cool experiment.

Michelle your stats show a very good loss, is it a long stall that's making you think about quitting lowcarb?

SummerYet
Sun, Mar-30-03, 14:17
Yes nawchem...about 3 months now...very frustrating....VERY! I am giving it a shot though, we shall see...

~Michelle

Yesican
Sun, Mar-30-03, 18:07
Count me in!
I am NOT weighing till I finish BFL Challenge on June 1!

I'm not...No way.

Natrushka
Sun, Mar-30-03, 19:58
Alright, Les! The more the merrier :) Looking forward to seeing a significant change when I next step on!

Nat

Natrushka
Mon, Mar-31-03, 07:47
Michelle, Nancy, Leslie and Cher, how did we do today :D

I gotta admit it was hard this morning - I felt lean and mean this morning when I woke up. I immediately gulped down a large cup of coffee and half a litre of water, pre-empting any desire to jump on the scale though!

Nat

Yesican
Mon, Mar-31-03, 10:08
Nat,

I am absolutely staying OFF the scale.
All the scale does (usually) is bog me down when I know I am making progress.

I went to the Dr's office recently & of course, I had to get weighed...I said, "Please do not say my weight aloud & I'm not looking."

She weighed me & gasped. I opened my eyes...She said, "Just kidding."

A skinny minny wanna-be comedian with a nursing license.
Oye.
:)

nawchem
Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:26
I was dyin to weigh this morning. My scales been flashing low battery for a while so I'm taking the battery out and throwing it away.

Mentally I feel so great not being tied to that number anymore. yah!

SummerYet
Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:41
Day 2 down...no scale for me! Digital scale is at BF and mine is so junky, I am not as tempted (although I still put it out of sight...just in case! LOL) It does feel good not wondering if one little thing has too much salt or if I am dividing something evenly. It will all even off over time and THEN I will get accurate results!
~Michelle

Natrushka
Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:44
Michelle, I bet not stressing about this is helping - big time. cortisol is evil, it stalls fat burning and it inhibit muscle growth. With all the positive changes, energy and vibes surrounding you, how could you not succeed? :D

N

SummerYet
Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:59
From your ears to my fats lips! LOL

~Michelle

Natrushka
Tue, Apr-01-03, 14:37
Alright, Ladies.... how was day 3 ?? Too busy this morning to take the time even if I wanted to. A success I'll take! :D

N

digwig
Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:36
Count me in. I'm taking out the batteries and putting the demon under my bed (hope I don't end up levitating in the middle of the night :) )

xo Dig

nawchem
Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:58
No weighing today. BTW hi Digwig cool avatar! Today I got evaluated at the gym, the trainer thought this challenge a great idea. I don't know my weight or % bodyfat but I lost 3" off my waist and 4 pounds of fat!

We haven't really talked about expectations. Sounds funny but I don't want to be let down when I finally do weigh-in. What are you going to say to yourself when you weigh?

Natrushka
Tue, Apr-01-03, 16:11
Originally posted by nawchem
Sounds funny but I don't want to be let down when I finally do weigh-in. What are you going to say to yourself when you weigh? What if tomorrow morning all the scales on the planet stopped working?

What if you could never weigh again, Nancy - you'd have to use clothing as a reference, or a tape measure.

If a number is up or down it's still just a number. Don't let it be that important.

Hiyah, Dig. Read your post quickly and I must admit - batteries, under bed... mind was in the gutter :devil:

N

digwig
Tue, Apr-01-03, 16:30
Nat, yes. That dumbbell I'm holding actually has some ahem, "special" functions.

xo Dig

SummerYet
Tue, Apr-01-03, 19:10
WOW Dig...you have one of those too???!!! I thought I was the only one! It's hard to find one of those custom made dumbells...thank goodness for the internet ;)...the things you learn! :lol:

BTW...I made it through day 3...no scale :)

~Michelle

Natrushka
Tue, Apr-01-03, 19:33
So now we know why Dig is always smiling in her avatars ;)

WTG, Michelle - It gets easier with every passing day. Besides having the glass of water before I get up in the morning I remind myself that when I'm travelling I can't weigh every morning - and I survive just fine!

Nat

lperk002
Tue, Apr-01-03, 20:57
In light of my "let's smash the scales" thread it is a bit odd that I weigh myself every morning - so Dig made me come over here so I would have to put up or shut up...

Count me in.

Just what I need as a single girl with *ahem* exercise revealed "needs" - a BOB/dumbbell. ;)

Natrushka
Wed, Apr-02-03, 07:49
Hiyah Perk, welcome to the thread :)

Day 4 - Hump Day. How did everyone do?

N

lperk002
Wed, Apr-02-03, 08:17
Look guys, Nat's got her own herd! :lol:

Day one scale free... :thup:

digwig
Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:27
No scale this morning. Just a long, cold measuring tape so I could get my measurements for the "Let's Get Fit Together Thread."

Days w/out the scale: 1
Gray Hairs saved: 20

xo Dig

SummerYet
Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:44
Day 4...no scale!! I ALMOST don't think about it in the morning now...not quite there yet though.

Nat...congrats on buffalo #2 (and I was proud of my second steak! LOL)

~Michelle

Yesican
Wed, Apr-02-03, 16:46
No scale today & I will NOT weight till June 1 (when my second BFL challenge ends)...Really...Not gonna weigh...I may look into those special dumbbells though.
;)

Natrushka
Wed, Apr-02-03, 17:03
WTG Ladies! You know, the more I think about it the less I actually want to weigh. I think I'm on to something :idea:

Re the buffalo - I was expecting something new and exotic - a herd above my head.... was not it. Maybe I'll change my avatar to a bisson ;)

Nat

Yesican
Wed, Apr-02-03, 18:53
Nat...You need a gold star above your head...You deserve it too!
:thup:

nawchem
Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:21
I was thinking about that question-what if I could never weigh again? My first thought- I would be a much happier person.

There are some pretty cool events that I've skipped because I thought I was too fat to participate -beach parties, high school reunion, company Christmas party. I can't actually find anything about quantifying my mass with the scale that actually benefits me.

lperk002
Thu, Apr-03-03, 06:07
I felt thinner this morning, but I can neither confirm nor deny if the scale is in agreement with my assessment - poor thing is smothered under the laundry basket.

Day 2 scale free :thup:

SummerYet
Thu, Apr-03-03, 06:12
OK...Day 5...Wooo Hooo! I am at the point I don't even miss it.

One thing I am worried about...after not weighing for a whole month, am I seeting myself up, unrealistically, for a big whoosh? I guess I figure after 4 weeks I should see a BIG loss. DOes this make sense?

~Michelle

Natrushka
Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:23
Originally posted by SummerYet
..after not weighing for a whole month, am I seeting myself up, unrealistically, for a big whoosh? I guess I figure after 4 weeks I should see a BIG loss. mmmmm Michelle? You say that like it's a bad thing!

That's the idea ;) - Remember, a whoosh isn't just about weight. It's about inches and pant sizes. It all matters. And, so does your piece of mind.

Faith that it is going to happen can help precipitate the event. Stress, worry, constantly messing/ tweaking something that is working can derail you. The big negative is actually what it does to your hormones - cortisol is deadly to fat burning.

Does it make sense? Of course. Look at what the scale has done to Nancy. It throws your whole sense of what is reasonable upside down!

Nat (scale free - 5 days? I lost track!)

Natrushka
Fri, Apr-04-03, 08:14
Nothing could have convinced me the scale would have been my friend today! Last night I did a refeed - 400+ carbs in the form of Count Chocula and skim milk. Like I'd put myself though that kind of torture?

Interestingly enough, the jeans I could take off w/o unbuttoning last week still go on w/o unbuttoning this morning ;)

Nat

lperk002
Fri, Apr-04-03, 09:34
Scale free and finishing off Chinese leftovers without bloat phobia. A few workouts will knock it out anyway.

Cher422
Fri, Apr-04-03, 11:32
On 3/31 I took my measurements and weighed, and I've steared clear of both so far! I've also managed to fit in a workout each day so far....today is my day off. :)

-cher

SummerYet
Fri, Apr-04-03, 12:29
Its DAY 6 Nat!!!

6 days scale free :)

Thanks for making me feel better about my feelings on April 30...I am giving the woosh fairy (in whatever capacity!) plenty of notice!!! :D

~Michelle

digwig
Fri, Apr-04-03, 12:59
Scale-free momma checking in! It's still *ahem* under the bed...

Summeryet, I just want to warn you that you may or may not see that big whoosh on the scale because you've started your exercise program (especially if you're weight lifting). I strongly suggest you take your measurements before you step on the scale and try (I know it's really, really hard and I wish I could take my own advice :) ) to place more weight on those results.

When I was following BFL by the book, I lost inches, but the stupid scale wouldn't budge, in fact, I was up about 4 pounds. When I took my four week measurements, I had lost something like nine inches at seven measurement sites. I had to cut the cardio portion because of knee trouble after that and I slacked a bit on the frequency of the weight workouts. The scale did drop however, by about five pounds. When I took my measurements to start the "Let's Get Fit Together" challenge, I was BIGGER than I was after the first 4 weeks of BFL, even though I weighed 5 pounds less.

The scale is retarded. And so am I for following it mindlessly!

xo to my fellow scale-revolters!

Dig

digwig
Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:18
Hey everyone,

Take a gander at this! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=930482#post930482) (top of the page)

There's one scale pound difference between these two shots of Mischa. Proof positive that the scale means nothing.

xo Dig

luddybell
Sat, Apr-05-03, 02:22
ahhhhhhhhh you guys have more will power than i do! my scale owns me! lol :) i am its follower HA!...

seriously though , the scale seems to be the only thing i can go by.. but i have lost 2 inches from my thighs and a half inch from my butt but my jeans ( you know the pantometer) do not feel any looser :(... UGH i dont think im ever gonna make it to bikini weight!!!!

lperk002
Sat, Apr-05-03, 06:19
in my "smash the scales"post! That picture says more than I ever could!

BTW, day whatever - scale free (amazing how fast you lose track!)... which is fabulous, because I've probably gained 10lbs. of nasal congestion.

digwig
Sun, Apr-06-03, 01:11
Ah, but don't forget, Lisa, a pound of snot takes up one-fifth the space of a pound of fat. You might be heavier, but your nose will be smaller! <---and isn't that the goal after all? Smaller, not lighter.

xo Dig

lperk002
Sun, Apr-06-03, 05:17
My nose, just like my breasticles, is something on the "not requiring reduction list." If my nose gets any smaller I'll never be able to escape the cheerleader comments - what with the damn dimples and all.

No scale today, which is a good thing since I feel like Puff the Magic Dragon. I think the cold meds have finally and officially messed up my fluid levels.

SummerYet
Sun, Apr-06-03, 07:51
Hi Everyone!

Couldn't get much forum time yesterday, but I am back!

DAY 7 and DAY 8 without the scale complete!! I have had a BIG temptation last night and today. I am at BF and he has the nice fancy digital scale that I don't and it is RIGHT THERE...calling my name. But I am doing my best to ignore it. I will not get on!

~Michelle

digwig
Sun, Apr-06-03, 20:55
The scale is so fiveminutesago.com.

xoDig

SummerYet
Mon, Apr-07-03, 04:44
DAY 9 is history!

I think I have said this before, but this is very liberating. A lot less stress, and not worrying about every little morsel you put in your mouth. Not tht it isn't LC, but if my measuring cup has a little more than 1/3 cup, i am not panicking. It will even itself out over time. Thanks for this idea Nat!

~Michelle

lperk002
Mon, Apr-07-03, 05:22
Yes, its nice to not have a number to go with this bloat! Ugh! But I am puffed.

AmberAA1
Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:37
Ok, Michelle pushed me to this. It was either this or scalanynomus for scalaholics, so I choose this instead. I have to do my measurements tomorrow anyways and don't know which plan I am gonna start following as of tomorow, but I am in. Great thread Nat! Thanks Michelle for pointing the way!

SummerYet
Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:40
WAAAAA HOOOOO...another convert! :cheer:

nawchem
Mon, Apr-07-03, 19:30
Hi Amber! I feel like I know you, as I pop into zules journal pretty often and see you there.

This is my 10th day of not weighing. I am curious, so I measured my waist and it was down, so I'm pretty sure I'm not gaining.

How is everyone else feeling?

SummerYet
Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:16
DAY 10 and DAY 11...gone, history...

And Nawchem...I feel GREAT! :D

~Michelle

PS...Where's Nat??

lperk002
Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:55
Bloated toad feeling finally passing - d~mn TOM - please see my journal for extended rant! I didn't weigh, but oh Lord was I tempted... but really what good would it do to know that I had retained 10lbs. of water unless there is some sort of prize awarded...

SummerYet
Wed, Apr-09-03, 23:51
On DAY !2...

but I have to say, I am getting itchy...I really wanted to get on that scale today. I received a compliment and other things happened, and I got really curios...but I was strong! LOL :thup:

I just hope I can stay so :rolleyes:

~Michelle

SummerYet
Sat, Apr-12-03, 22:01
DAY 13 and DAY 14 down...losing some willpower, but intent on doing this...

~Michelle

nawchem
Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:11
This is about day 16 for me. I think up all kinds of reasons why I have to weigh everyday. I just got through TOM, no pms this month. Could it be that seeing my weight increase at that time bums me out?

Michelle maybe the good things are happening now that the stress of weighing has been removed. I think its really removed a stressor from my life.

Keep going ladies! Where's Nat?

SummerYet
Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:09
DAY 15

Glad you are here nawchem...started feeling silly!

~Michelle

nawchem
Wed, Apr-16-03, 10:11
I'm here! I think this not weighing has been really beneficial. I'm thinking of just weighing once a year! LOL.

I changed my plan to CAD this week so now I'm really curious and worried -what if I'm gaining? I guess my measurements and clothes will tell me.

Michelle I'm really hoping this month trial is going to end up being successful for you and the stall will be history.

SummerYet
Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:44
OK...

DAY 16, 17, and 18 complete. April 30 will be here before we know it, and I am nervous about what the scale WILL say...

~Michelle

digwig
Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:29
Day 16 and still no desire to weigh myself! It's amazing that the daily weighings really were a habit that needed breaking. Like biting ones nails or smoking.

It's funny how essential it used to seem. Since I've gone back on Induction, I'm not having any cravings and I don't seem to need the scale as disciplinarian anymore.
xo Dig

SummerYet
Sat, Apr-19-03, 20:34
DAY 19 and 20 down the tubes!

~Michelle

SummerYet
Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:57
Well I don't know if I am the sole survivor here, but I have survived DAY 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25. My scheduled weigh in is April 30, less than a week away, and I will have been successful in this challenge. TOM is here so I hope he and all he brings with it is gone by then!

~Michelle

korry1977
Tue, Oct-14-03, 19:24
Is this thread still "alive?"