* 1 cup flax meal
* 1 cup almond meal
* 1 T baking powder
* 1/4 t salt
* 1 and 1/4 t nutmeg
* 1 t cinnamon
* Artificial sweetener - 1 cup equivalent - zero carb (such as liquid) preferred
* 1/2 cup (I stick) butter, melted
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 cup plus 2 T water
* 1/2 cup equivalent powdered artificial sweetener
* 2 t cinnamon
* 2 T melted butter
Makes 12 regular-size muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter muffin pans.
2. Mix dry ingredients well (exclude those used for topping).
3. Add beaten eggs, melted butter, water, and sweetener to the dry mixture.
4. Fill muffin cups a bit more than half way with the mixture.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Allow muffins to cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove.
6. Mix the cinnamon and powdered sweetener for the topping in a clean bowl.
7. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, dip the tops in the melted butter you allocated for the topping, followed by the sweetener/cinnamon mixture.
Each muffin has 1.5 gram effective carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber. (This is assuming half a gram of carb for the topping.)
Buttermilk Version: Switch out 1/2 cup buttermilk for the same amount of water. Substitute 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon baking powder for the baking powder in the regular recipe. This variation adds half a gram of carb to each muffin.