PDA

View Full Version : hi

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

marcus
Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:51
ok I guess Im an odd one here since im just looking to lose about 5 pounds or so of fat. I weigh somewhere between 155 -158 lbs I think and am about 67" or 68" ~ 32 yrs old.

After hearing and seeing all the lo-carb studies and real-life results it simply amazes me that the abundance of misinformation our government has allowed to filter its way thru simply for the almighty dollar. ok, I spent 8yrs in the Army, it doesnt really amaze me. lol.

Although I dont have a weight problem, I learned something very interesting that wont surprise any of you. When I was 8 yrs old til about 13 yrs old, I did have a weight problem. I never thought I really ate that much not to mention I played sports, etc. Well, throughout these yrs was the chips/processed foods time I had gone thru but never really overate. My mom took me to a doctor who simply told me to eat less calories. Ok, Ill get to my point (lol), my mom put me on a diet (simply by chance) where I ate a steak or burger or chicken as my entree for each meal with a salad and a baked potato. I was never hungry, I lost all the weight in about 4 mos. No one knew why or how I had the 'willpower' to suddenly not eat as much as I did. Problem was, I was stuffed and had no need to eat more. Now, to see the results of everyone here makes complete sense to a 12 yr old who has experienced this same success by pure luck. Also, I am proud of each of you who make an effort to change your lives as that's the first step is wanting to do something and also taking action.
Finally, there is a history of heart disease in my family and thats my main reason for staying informed on these subjects....I think this may prove, albeit contrary to everything we've heard the last 30 yrs, to be the real way of life we need to readapt to. I do think, however, we may find out that Dr. Atkin's WOE is a somewhat extreme end and maybe there will be more scientific evidence that our processed food are refined wrongly and arent 'SO' bad and may not have as neagative an impact on our 'systems' once they figure this out. But until then, I see this as a great step and I think Im proof of that.

(sorry i was long-winded) gl to all of you. And yes this 5 lbs of fat around the midsection is aggravating and hard to get off. id like to see my abs again. So bring on the steaks (what a sacrifice)

----marc

razzle
Tue, Feb-26-02, 00:19
welcome marc (and you weren't long-winded). Health is a great reason to LC. And yes, all those steaks with mushrooms cooked in butter, the chicken caeser salads...all so difficult to force ourselves eat. :roll:

Are you getting baseline blood work done? It'd be interesting to follow your cholesterol/trig numbers...

LittleAnne
Tue, Feb-26-02, 02:32
Hi Marc

Interested in your experiences as a child. It just goes to show what proper food can do for you. My Mum probably did something a little similar with me in my teenage years after I put on lots of weight from being in hospital for a long time.

Unfortunately these days there is no real need to cook and the art of cooking must be slowly dying. With the wide selection of processed foods now available to heat in the oven or microwave, not to mention take-aways, to tempt us, we have lost our basic knowledge on good balanced healthy eating and the processed foods add sugar etc to keep us tempted. I know we don't have to eat them, but they must share some of the blame, particularly now that teenagers are being diagonsed with type II diabetes.

Little Anne

marcus
Tue, Feb-26-02, 06:37
Im not trying to brag by any means saying I didnt need to lose much weight and I hope its not taken that way. I just know ive had 2 grandfathers in perfect shape so to speak, die of heart attacks ~ age 50. Im looking not to become a statistic, just trying to be as informed on my our health as possible as well as get in really good shape.
This diabetes thing with kids is really sad. I dont know too much about this but isnt it somewhat curable? If not, will these kids need treatment for life? thanks.

gwilson38
Tue, Feb-26-02, 09:38
Glad to have U aboard. I want to comment on you posting " we may find out Dr. Atkins woe of eating is extreme and that our processed foods are wrongly refine and may not be so bad" The Atkins induction phase is extreme however once U move to the maintainence phase most people will be eating A LOT more carbs "healthy ones" just NOT the processed ones. I started low-carbing not so much as a weight loss program but because I have fibromyalgia and was very sick. I am now in remission because of low-carbing. So many people who have had bad blood tests and high BP have done sooo much better since low-carbing. I commend U for taking control of your health now before U start having health problems. I wish U luck.

Natrushka
Tue, Feb-26-02, 17:07
Welcome to the forum, Marcus :)

Yes, the general problem with type II Diabetes in children is usually curable - by following a LC diet! Go figure, ay? If you'd like an interesting read as it relates to LC and health I suggest picking up a copy of "Protein Power Lifeplan" by the Eades. It is less a weight loss book (like Protein Power was) and more a set of guidelines for finding optimal health through nutrition and lifestyle choices. They devote quite a bit of their book to the modern diseases of our times (diabetes, IBS, crohn's, MS, rheumatoid arthritis) and the interesting fact that these diseases did not exist in humans prior to the introduction of grains into our diets.

Nat

marcus
Wed, Feb-27-02, 23:49
to all who replied. Well, at least the Type II is curable and maybe this process this generation is in can be reversed as it seems the truely effected generations (mine and beyond) is taking responsibility for the misinformation and taking a stance. Results speak louder than PHD's and marketing.
Nat, I will pick up that book as I see you are into weight training and thats one thing Ive always enjoyed and done throughout my life and will look to incorporate this into this way of life. Any tips for someone simply looking to remain healthy or become healthier? I guess its all relative but we should always seek to grow (improve). thanks for responding, razzle, Little Ann, gwilson and Nat. keep up the good work.

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-01-02, 16:43
Originally posted by marcus
Any tips for someone simply looking to remain healthy or become healthier? I guess its all relative but we should always seek to grow (improve)

I think your best friend (besides FAT!) here will be knowledge. All LC plans have something to offer - I've found that I pick up bits and piece here and there and incorporate them into what I now call my Way Of Life. I am not doing a strict BFL program, nor am I doing a PP one. I have found insights from both, and from Schwarzbeine, Erasmus (Fats that heal fats that kill), Connelly (Body Rx). I plan on adding what I can as I learn more - and there's a lot of information out there. Have you read any of Adiposity 101 (http://www.omen.com/adipos.html) ? It's quite eyeopening - and it is available online :)

Nat