PDA

View Full Version : just started

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Movey
Mon, Feb-25-02, 17:22
Hi!
I just started the Atkins induction diet today. I am so glad I found this site, just to know there are other people my age doing this. I am in college and I am really worried about parties, and all the other things that I'm used to doing that I won't be able to do anymore! Oh well, It will be worth it. :daze:
-Movey

nOcaRbgurL
Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:46
Believe me, it's well worth all the time and energy and frustration that you're going to put forth. I'm happier than i've ever been and it's only day 18!! Keep up the good work and good luck to you :thup:

Movey
Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:51
Janel-
Thanks for the encouragement! keep going strong! :)
-Molly

Movey
Tue, Feb-26-02, 23:00
and by the way-
I just noticed you are in columbus. so am i! I go to OSU!

L8kersKB
Wed, Feb-27-02, 00:12
Hey yall.

I'm new to these message boards, but I have been on Atkins since August 2001. Being a college student (I'm a junior at San Jose State University), I know exactly how it is to eat low carb and go to school and work (not sleep - cause us students barely do that!! :D ) - At first, it may seem like a challenge, with dorm food, and parties, snacking in between classes/while studying, etc. But if you keep at it, with determination and perseverance -- you will adapt to a low-carb way of life and be successful at it.

Good Luck!!

*Jami

nOcaRbgurL
Wed, Feb-27-02, 19:40
Hey Movey,
I go to Columbus State for a couple quarters, but my school is Mount Carmel Nursing. We're practically neighbors, I live off-campus. Believe me, stay on this, you can't go wrong with this program. I feel so much better about myself since i started this, and although people i know have started and stopped this many times, i'm still going strong and want to prove everyone wrong. Keep up the good work and in time, things will look good for you. I feared it may not for me, but it did, and it feels great. I'm here if you need me. :daze:

StarOrchid
Thu, Feb-28-02, 17:53
Movey,
hey, don't worry about low-carbing in college. It's not so bad. Most cafs have a variety of foods to choose from so eat your meat and veggies. Also about parties... I used to be able to drink 20 shots or so of liquor and still be standing strong but after starting low-carb about a month ago, I drank 2 shots of rum the other day and I was drunk. Make sure if you do drink to only drink 0 carb liquor like rum, vodka, and gin. Remember that even though they have 0 carbs they have lots of ketones that your body will burn for energy before it burns fat. And wait till after induction to drink any. If you're like me, you'll only need a couple shots to make you pretty trippy. Oh and be careful not to binge on carb food when you get the munchies! I eat pork rinds when I get the munchies from drinking or *smoking*.

Good luck!
-Ambrea

Movey
Thu, Feb-28-02, 22:52
Hey Ambrea!
I didnt know that most liquor had no carbs - Thanks for telling me! I thought that I wouldnt be able to drink at all! Yeah, I know the worst time for me will be the munchies. I get ravenous when I am drunk or have been *smoking*! Its good to know someone that has gotten through those tough times! and by the way, I've never eaten pork rinds - are they good? they sound a little scary! HA. keep it up! thanks,
-Molly :p

csfdavis
Fri, Mar-01-02, 23:34
I'm still trying to get off the ground with induction. I think it may be even harder for me not living in the dorms, because I have to pack food. That limits me to basically tuna and coldcuts. I am an overeater, and I use food as a drug for comfort and when I want to escape. My classes this semester are boring, and I wish I could be snacking on a muffin. I was eating a lot of the Atkins chocolate peanut butter bars (they are yummy) until I realized that they are not good for people on induction- especially not when you eat two in one day! I was fooled by the net carbs on the label, which are supposedly "all you need to count." I figured I could eat several and stay under 20 grams. I'm trying to be much stricter now, cutting out dairy even, until I start seeing some results. Keep me posted on how you guys are doing.

Movey
Sat, Mar-02-02, 09:05
hi everyone-
So whats the deal with the low carb bars and shakes? If they are low carb why are they not good for people on induction? And does cheese slow down the losing process? This is only day four for me but I havent noticed any progress at all. Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but i would like to know about foods that slow down your progress on induction. Thanks!
-Molly

Fattiegirl
Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:18
I think the low carbs bars and stuff work in different ways for different people . The thing is if you add up the numbers you will see there are more carbs than they say...buutt the carbs come from stuff like sugar alcohols which may or may not make your blood sugar rise.
I for one eat them sometimes .. they are easy and yummy! Okay I have a question.. where are the carbs in a long island iced tea coming from if you get diet coke instead of regular??

csfdavis
Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:27
Hi guys,

Allow me to share with you my limited experience. I started doing Atkins thinking that I would be ok with slow weight loss as long as the plan was doable, meaning that I would eat lots of bars and stuff to keep me satisfied. I thought that since Atkins says you only need to count the net carbs I could eat eight bars in a day if I really wanted to. Those bars actually have about 30 grams of carbohydrate. Only the net carbs affect your blood sugar, but you still have to burn off ALL of the total carbs, and I think that if you eat a lot of servings it will impact your blood sugar as well. I haven't been able to lose weight yet, so I am going to cut out all of the bars and just eat meat, eggs, mayo, and lettuce for a while.

I was also eating a lot of butter and cheese, and I heard from some other people here that those can prevent weight loss too. Apparently many people need to really limit their dairy intake (and cheese does have a small amount of carbs per serving not listed on the label due to lax FDA regulations), so I will be forsaking that for now and adding it in little by little after induction.

As for long island ice teas, I wouldn't drink those or any other booze until after induction. Just liquor and diet coke probably doesn't have much in the way of carbs, but it does have caffeine and alcohol, both of which will slow down or halt your weight loss.

This is what I have learned so far, and hopefully there will be others who can confirm it. I wish you good luck, and I hope we both lose a lot of weight soon. :wave:

-csfdavis

Roxych1ck
Wed, Jun-26-02, 14:00
Hey Jami,

I saw how much weight you lost on the Atkins diet. Thats great!!!I just started Atkins and I am on day 3 of induction, when do you think I will start losing weight??? Eating all these calories from proteins and fats seem scary to me because I'm not used to eating that many calories. I'm on day 3, I step on the scale and I see that I have gained a pound. What am I doing wrong?? When will I start seeing results. I'm doing everything right. Enough carbs 20g, enough cals and enough water. Help

Elly

L8kersKB
Thu, Jun-27-02, 12:47
Hey Elly! :wave:

Hang in there. As far as when you will loose weight during induction, each person is different. Try to be patient, it will be well worth it.

I'll start by telling you about my induction. At first, I too was intimidated by the amount of fat and calories that I was eating when I first started Atkins/Low Carbing. However, I was at my wits end about loosing weight so I followed the induction phase - eating all the fat and calories from proteins and drinking lots and lots of water. After a few days, I was feeling the same way you are, but induction is at least 2 weeks long - so I stuck with it. 14 days into it I lost 11 pounds. That made me a believer in the Low Carb Lifestyle.

The best advice I can give you is to stick with it, and follow the diet. As long as you are following the induction phase and drinking at least 64 oz of water a day. Also, exercise is a good way to get your metabolism going.

Remember, you have a great support network here (these people are awesome!!) -- anytime you have a question or just want to talk everyone is willing to help and are here for you!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

BTW, Congrats on your progress thus far.. the stats are looking great!!! :thup:

Roxych1ck
Thu, Jun-27-02, 13:02
Thanx a bunch!! I was so ready to give in and not do this diet anymore beccause I thought i wasn't going to lose weight at all. but I guess you inspired me. Thanx!!

Elly