PDA

View Full Version : 2nd time around for Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KI6LO
Tue, Oct-30-07, 13:53
Hello all,

My name is Gene and although I'm new here at the forum, this is my 2nd time around to do the Atkin Plan (or maybe something else - not sure yet). In 2001/2 timeframe, I was a hard core Atkins dieter following the book like the Bible. I did not eat a bite unless I check the the book, the label or the recipe. In about 10 months, between the Atkins Plan and walking (up to 4 miles a day) I lost about 55 lbs, dropping 3 pants sizes and feeling great. Then of course like most things I get involved in, I got burnt out. I started slipping in that occasional baked potato or a serving of pasta (boy do I love pasta). After I got married again in 2003, I started doing most of the cooking at home. My wife and stepdaughter like pasta too so we ate pasta and other stuff that I knew I shouldn't but it was a family thing. Now I've found my old lost friend (the 55 lbs + a couple of their buddies). I've recently decided that my clothes were not fitting right (the old clothes I kept for some reason?). I have a whole closet full of jeans that I cannot get into except for couple pair. I refuse to go buy more and bigger. I restarted the Atkins Plan again the first of October 2007 (this month) and have lost 15 lbs so far. I plan on doing it a bit slower this time and see if I can avoid burn out. I am trying to get my wife to join me but she doesn't like the plan so I'm on my own for now. So at 49 years old, I have to do it this time around. I have Type II diabetes and high blood pressure so it can't do nothing but help me in the long run.

Gene

spydurgurl
Tue, Oct-30-07, 14:06
Hi Gene....welcome back. I am new to this forum, but not new to Atkins.
That's great that you have the conviction to come back here. And awesome that you already lost 15 lbs.....whoohooo! You go, you!

When you get to maintainence next time, there are some great low carb pastas out there. If you eat it now, it puts you in a stall. So I wouldn't suggest it for now. I love pasta too......I was brought up on it (full blooded Italian).....I used to eat it 3 times a day and more! lol
But, unbelievably, I don't crave it anymore. When you want some pasta, have a piece of meat and cheese.

Post often it will help keep you on track. :wave:

bob2112
Tue, Oct-30-07, 15:52
Welcome back onboard.

Kisal
Tue, Oct-30-07, 19:47
Welcome, Gene! Congratulations to you for making the decision to get things under control again. Your wife and stepdaughter will get much more pleasure from having you around and healthy, than from any plate of pasta! I hope they decide to join you in your new woe! :wave:

LuckyKiva
Wed, Oct-31-07, 03:24
Hi Gene, I am a 2nd time around Atkins newbie too.....

The first time I was the same, absolutely following the book so strictly but this time around being a little more relaxed as I'm determined for it to be a way of life and not a "diet". I think like you said, if you do it so strictly it can be easier to not stick with it after a while, I had the wrong mindset, like it was a diet and not something for my long-term health....now I see that I need to LC to be healthy in the long run....

I love Pasta too, but I don't miss that so far either....I just feel so sleepy and grumpy after eating it that it's not worth it ;-) I hope that your family will support and encourage you - once they see the change in your health and wellbeing I am sure they won't let you slip....!

And throw away the old clothes!!!! Once the clothes become too loose for you again, give them away to charity....perhaps you kept them because you had in the back of your mind that your success wouldn't last, so don't set yourself to fail, throw them away so that you'll know if you do gain weight you'll have to go naked ;-) Prove to yourself that you can do this.

Semperfi
Wed, Oct-31-07, 08:41
Welcome Gene!!!! :wave:

BluePants
Wed, Oct-31-07, 10:42
welcome Gene, Great post.
Seems there are a lot of us second timers around. I also love pasta. **Sigh** but the day will come when I can have it again.