PDA

View Full Version : chronic diarrhea only on low carb.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

medialady
Mon, Oct-22-07, 09:17
I have been on a low carb diet for about 5 years now. I like to think of it as a lifestyle not a diet. I initally lost 96 pounds after the birth of my child. I have gained some back but I still feel great.

here is my question. When I am on my program, meat, fish, good vegtables, eggs, occasional cheese, I have chronic diahrrea. There are no cramps just liquid pouring out about 2-4 x a day. If I cheat and eat carbs I get inital cramping for a day or two and then back to normal digestive system.

Don't get me wrong I love my low carb life and the way it makes me feel I would just love to get this diarrhea under control. I dont eat any sugar alchols either other than wine.

no I don't have any health problems.

medialady
Mon, Oct-22-07, 09:19
oh I just wanted to add that I have considered that I may have IBS and the normal digestion when I eat carbs may just be a coincidence and not related to the carbs but I thought that IBS you have terrible cramps. I have no cramps or pain whatsoever, just liquid stool.

Nancy LC
Mon, Oct-22-07, 09:52
IBS is BS. :) It is the label doctors slap on you when they can't figure out what is causing your GI symptoms.

I had this problem too and found out I have a couple of food intolerances. The biggie was gluten. I was eating low carb breads and they're just loaded with gluten, gluten is the protein portion of wheat.

After eliminating gluten life improved a lot but I still had issues. So I tried eliminating diary for awhile. That cleared up another whole raft of intestinal (and other) woes. It wasn't the lactose, it was the protein called Casein in dairy that was harming me.

Anyway it could be either of those things or it could be something else. The best way to figure it out is to try an elimination diet and see if you can't pinpoint what it is.

Consider everything you put in your mouth suspect. That includes vitamins, drugs, drinks, food... everything. Scrutinize ingredient lists on everything, including vitamins.

Common problems are: Gluten (wheat, rye, barley), Casein (dairy), eggs, nuts, soy. But you can have intolerances to almost anything.

medialady
Mon, Oct-22-07, 10:21
thanks! I wonder what it could be? I don't think it is gluten because after I eat cake,cookies on a cheat I get inital cramping but then I am fine. other than carb cravings the cheat cycle leaves me with my digestive system is fine. hmmm

So weird that I don't have cramping on low carb too. If you eat gluten do you have cramping or just diarrhea?

Nancy LC
Mon, Oct-22-07, 11:26
I don't think it is gluten because after I eat cake,cookies on a cheat I get inital cramping but then I am fine.
That cramping is certainly a clue!

Keep in mind gluten is commonly found in things like soy sauce and beer.

Everyone is different, so what applies to me probably won't apply to you. Some people actually get constipated from gluten. I had horrible cramping and frequent BM's with gluten. With dairy I tend to get constipated, but no intestinal cramps. When I was eating both dairy AND gluten I wasn't having overt dairrhea most of the time since they kind of balanced out (in a bad way) but the cramping was hideous. I'd be about crying from the pain on the toilet.

If I were you, I'd try to stick to just meat and veggies for at least a week, then add in a single food at a time for a few days. Then remove the food. Start with the common problem foods I mentioned above.

Or as a shortcut you could get tested by Enterolab.com. Their main test will test for antibodies to gluten and casein, along with a genetic analysis for celiac/gluten sensitivity genes. They also have tests for a few other things like eggs, nuts and yeast.

There are other testing labs that screen for a whole slew of food intolerances. I've been tempted to do that myself because I suspect there's more than dairy/gluten I have troubles with. But since I'm 90% better, it is hard to track down that last 10%.

Check out The Gluten File in my signature. Hop over to Celiac.com. Google food intolerances, that'll keep you reading for weeks and weeks.

Sandollar
Mon, Oct-22-07, 12:53
I sometimes get that "rush" of liquid (uggh) if I eat red meat that is too rare....I need to cook it to at least "medium."

sujk1022
Fri, Jan-11-08, 16:59
I just started Atkins this week....and by day four had severe gas, bloating and diarrhea. As I have been on 'induction' this week, the menu has been very limited so far. I have basically eaten meat, poultry, eggs, cheese and green veggies..(green beans, lettuce) I drink nothing but water, I find I prefer it. I have not used any artificial sweeteners. The only supplements I am presently taking are potassium, VitC, and glucosomine (due to arthritis). Any ideas? By the way, this is not my first time on Atkins. About 8 years ago, I lost about 60 lbs, but due to some unfortunate circumstances in our family we all got off plan. I am trying to get back on track for a lifestyle change. This diarrhea is not something I had to deal with before. Any ideas?

Nancy LC
Fri, Jan-11-08, 17:29
Give it some time, the adjustment is a big one. If it doesn't improve then look at everything you're eating and try to identify if one or more things is causing the issue, as I described earlier. Things like sugar-free gum, sugar alcohols, too much vit. c, maybe there's something in a supplement you're reacting to.

LiLiMarie
Fri, Jan-11-08, 17:50
The first 3 weeks I was on this WOE, I had diarrhea several times a day. Since that initial time, which is when I also lost the most weight, I've not had too many instances of diarrhea. You may also want to pay attention to diet drinks. I find they cause diarrhea.

sujk1022
Sat, Jan-12-08, 08:21
Thanks. As I mentioned, I am not eating anything other than 'real' food. No sugarless gum, no diet drinks. I've had only water. Oops, I have had some sugar free jello.
However, I am eating nothing I did not eat before I started. The changes are in what I am leaving out.
I do not remember having this problem when I was on Atkins 8 years ago. I suppose the difference from age 42 to 50 can change ones digestive system. lol.