PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Slbray65
Sun, Feb-24-02, 19:26
Hi All.....

Well, I did really well this week! I lost a few inches from the first time I measured a couple weeks ago, but I gained 3 lbs!

Now, I'll give myself some slack because I have a tendency to retain water. And yesterday I noticed my ankles were pretty swollen, so I am sure that is some of the gain.

But, here is what I'm wondering about and need advice on. On a good day I can drink about 90 oz of water. I should be drinking about 160 oz! GOD how am I going to do that????

Also, my daily carbs are around 30-40 grams per day, with calories coming in anywhere from 1800-2500....does anyone suggest staying below a certain amount of calories?

Haven't been able to start a regular exercise routine, although I walk between 1/2 to 1 miles a day at lunchtime. Does anyone have an easy routine to start with? I do have a membership at the Y.

I read the Atkins book a few months ago, but never really got into the low carb thing. I guess I need to dig it out and re-read, although I have been researching the web for info...

I have been reading the threads in here, and I have to say, I've pretty much experienced every feeling that other people in the 100+ thread have.

Lots of stressful stuff going on in my personal life. Mostly job related. I work for the state of Washington, and because of a budget deficit of around 1.75 billion, rumours are swrilling about lay-offs and pay cuts....pretty scary stuff. I'm trying not to let it get to me but it is pretty tough when you live paycheck to pay check!

Anyone any input would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks everyone!
Shelly

Atriana
Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:28
The weight gain is most likely water. It will go away.

How did you come up with 160 oz? The formula is a minimum of 64 ounces with an additional 8 ounces for each 25 pounds you want to lose. You want to lose 139 pounds. 139 divided by 25 gives you 5.5. 5.5 times the 8 ounces is 44 additional ounces. So your base amount of 64 ounces plus the additional 44 ounces gives you a grand total of 108 ounces. Doesn't 108 sound much easier than 160?

Calories in are another issue. The standard formula for that is 10-12 calories for each pound you currently weigh. In your case that would be between 3140 -3768 calories per day. Try putting your food intake into www.fitday.com. Also, remember to adjust your calories downwards as the weight starts coming off.

Good luck to you! Post any questions you may have.

Slbray65
Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:54
Atriana,

Thanks for the tips! Yes 106 oz sounds ALOT better. I have used the fitday site, and it is very helpful. I think I need to read through the whole site though.

I am beginning to realize why it is easy to fall off of any plan. Not getting the correct info or really studying it. When you are changing your way of life, I think it pays off to do the research. That is what I am going to focus on!

Once again thanks!