PDA

View Full Version : Why Did It Take Me So Long???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kalyana
Sun, Oct-21-07, 15:46
Well I am SO glad I finally got back to the ONLY lifestyle that has ever worked for me.

I think I can put part of the blame on all the naysayers...after a while one starts to believe the anti-hype...and the rest of the blame is with myself, of course.

At any rate, I am FINALLY losing this weight!!! I have about 25 pounds to lose and I am down about 5...lots of water, I am sure.

At 5'4 I am looking at a goal weight of 135...I'd be thrilled with that.

So Hi...My name is Kalyana and thanks to everyone here who so generously shares for the benefit of all.

I am so excited to be back to the low carb way of LIVING!

spicymama
Sun, Oct-21-07, 16:20
hi kalyana, im new too. hopefully we can figure this out together

Kisal
Sun, Oct-21-07, 16:37
Welcome! It's nice to meet you! :)

~*SHAN*~
Sun, Oct-21-07, 16:53
Wow, our stats are exactly the same (160/156/130). If you ever need encouragement...I'm just a keyboard away!! Best of luck 2 u!! :wave:

~Shannon~

tdoty
Sun, Oct-21-07, 21:38
Welcome Kalyana!! :wave:

Semperfi
Mon, Oct-22-07, 05:28
Welcome!!!!!!

kalyana
Mon, Oct-22-07, 06:57
Thanks all for the warm welcome. And Shan I'll try to keep up with your progress.

I guess I am really not sur what plan I am on...I think it is Atkins but I have one-2 glasses of red wine a few nights of the week.

I have the Atkins book that I follow to the T with the exception of the wine.

I weighed in at 155.6 this morning and I am pretty darn happy I keep losing.

However, I do expect it to slow down in rapid fashion.

Gonna hit that treadmill this rainy monday mornin'!

murphy5
Mon, Oct-22-07, 10:36
Kalyana, I have to say that reading your post was like reading my own. I too am 5'4" and want to lose 25 pounds...to be at 135! I'm just getting back on track after a whole year of not eating this way. I didn't gain any weight over the year, but I certainly didn't lose any and that's what I need!
Congrats on your weight loss so far, that's awesome. Keep up the great work.

Charity

judlee
Mon, Oct-22-07, 10:52
Welcome from another 64 year old! It really is never too late. I have been doing LC for a month now and have lost 7 pounds, I feel better eating this way and already have more energy. I have lots more to lose than you do but by eating this way, and with the support here, I am really sure I can do this. Stay in touch!

kalyana
Tue, Oct-23-07, 06:49
154.4 this morning!!! YEY!!! I haven't been below 157 with dieting efforts in eons.

I am SO happy! And it's so easy!

I think walking an hour on the treadmill yesterday did it, along with keeping to below 20 grams.

And I am loving all the hellos from my fellow low carbers....the best thing I have read on this entire site, better than any Taubes quote (which are great) came from the Thanksgiving thread. Folks were asking or stating whether they would stay on plan that day.

Someone posted, " You aren't going to see vegetarians all of a sudden start eating turkey are you"?

That made perfect sense to me...this is a way of life...and it is WELL worth it to me to not walk around carrying 30 extra pounds for no reason.

For the first time in years I have hope! And I am seeing progress!

Lovin' this.

WH1968
Tue, Oct-23-07, 07:35
Awesome.. congrats.. and welcome to the forums...

May I suggest you make a jounral and keep track of your success plus it gives you a great place for people to come by and keep you motivated and full of support..

T-man

murphy5
Tue, Oct-23-07, 17:16
kalyana,
Hey...great work! You are on the right track. Could you share with me a sample of what you eat during the day...a menu? I just got started again and am having a hard time getting it together. It's always nice to see what someone who is losing is eating. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much
Charity

BluePants
Wed, Oct-24-07, 13:31
Kalyana, great start. Glad you found us.

kalyana
Thu, Oct-25-07, 01:34
Here's what I have been doing...and it may or may not be interesting to note that my food is 90% organic, including fresh farm eggs. ALSO, I have food allergies (MSG and it's sister chemicals) so I eat zero processed foods.

I make a big batch of egg salad which includes mayo, turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.

1 cup coffee with a tablespoon or two of cream

I have 1/2 cup of egg salad for breakfast.

Lunch is typically grilled chicken over a salad with salad dressing that has less than 2 carbs per serving

I may snack on a piece of cheese mid day

Dinner is a buffalo patty, grilled, with a side of roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower)..and a glass of wine.

NOW, please no one flame me as this is not exactly Atkins "to the letter"...but it has been working for me.

With the ketosis and it's appetite suppression, I am not struggling at all with being hungry.

impunity75
Thu, Oct-25-07, 09:26
My stats are similar 5"3" started at 167 on September 12, down to 159--SLOW!! But at least it is coming off finally.

oakdryad
Thu, Oct-25-07, 16:24
Hi, Kaylana and welcome! :wave:

Congratulations on your great start. Enjoy the journey!

2kidsinaz
Thu, Oct-25-07, 16:33
there are a few of us out here starting around 160 and trying to get to 130. kalyana -- how long have you been at it? i was getting discouraged as recently as yesterday after 10 days and 3 pounds, but i was down another .5 lb today. have NOT been drinking red wine and have been MISSING it. curious to know if you think it's slowing down wl?

kalyana
Thu, Oct-25-07, 19:11
well...I am betting yes, the wine is indeed slowing down my weight loss...but I am keeping to such a low carb count that I think I may be making up for it. I don't really know.

This I do know: If I am going to make this a lifetime way of living, I will not give up my 8-12 ounces of wine.

And so far so good...UNLESS...I stall. Then I will up the workouts and if that doesn't work, the wine goes.

I'd say I drink 8-12 ounces probably 4 days out of the week. I drink no other alcohol.

I will know next Monday what my total weight loss will be for my "induction" phase...I now it is technically not a purist induction because of the wine..but so far I have lost about 7 pounds in the last 3 weeks maybe. I wasn't keeping track so it's hard to gauge.

Another thing as I have mentioned before.. I eat all organic and NO processed foods. Just straight meat (a lot of chicken and buffalo), salad, veggies, a small amount of cheese, lots of eggs, and tofu.

I keep waiting for the slow down of weight loss and I have a feeling time is drawing nigh...

kalyana
Thu, Oct-25-07, 19:14
There are so many of us in the 160-130 range I think I will start a journal for that...I was wondering what to title my journal. Y'all look for it...I will call it the 160 to 130 Club.

:-)

2kidsinaz
Fri, Oct-26-07, 15:40
How would I find the 160 to 130 lub Journal out here? Sorry, new to the site and I am still poking my way around. I think it's a great idea.

murphy5
Fri, Oct-26-07, 16:38
Just click on the "journal" button at the bottom of kalyana's last post. It will take you to the journal.