PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fiestyone
Mon, Oct-15-07, 17:20
Thanks to all of you who contribute to this site. I have found it very helpful. I have a few questions. I have been trying to do low carb for a few years. I am able to succeed for about 7-10 days, and then the cravings hit. I tried hoodia, and no success. I also read the item about cream hindering weight loss, what do you eat if you can't have cheese, and how do you get enough fat? Hope someone out there has some suggestions.

katwoman
Mon, Oct-15-07, 17:36
Interesting, which plan are you actually following? I see 3 listed.

For me, following the Atkins induction rules eliminates all cravings at about day 5 or 6. I do (even now--9 months into the journey this time) limit cheese, but I use mayo, butter, bacon grease. A lot of people around here use coconut oil to add fat as well.

Best of luck reaching your goals.

amberview
Mon, Oct-15-07, 17:53
If you have too many carby foods in the beginning like fruits, nuts, and high carb veggies, you will crave more food. This is why atkins has a ladder that you step up so that you aren't overwelmed by intense cravings. I could almost bet you were eating those types of items.

Choose a plan. I find atkins the best because it starts by cutting cravings.

I get fat from meats, adding butter, and/or oil to foods that I might have skimped on before. I eat small amounts of cheese and I put heavy wipping cream in my coffee.

Semperfi
Tue, Oct-16-07, 04:35
Try this recipe site:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

I have low carbed off and on for years! I dont think cravings really hit me, its just that after awhile I start missing the old high carb foods! I dont cut cheese out at all! I just dont eat tons of it! I like to cook broccli and cauliflower with cheese sauce, and its very filling!

fiestyone
Tue, Oct-16-07, 07:47
I guess I actually stick more with the Akins approach. I really find that nothing works for the cravings, I have to get through the first 5-6 days and then I am fine. But once I cheat, I have to start at ground zero.

BluePants
Tue, Oct-16-07, 19:37
I have to agree with the folks. I have done Protein Power and South Beach and well, all of them, and I always come back to Atkins because If I don't control my carbs I crave them.
One thing that I find helpful when I am having a craving is to eat something that I really love thats on plan. Avocados, Bacon, lettuces and tomato Salad, taco salad. I love food so I have lots of favorites.
Welcome, glad you joined.

amberview
Tue, Oct-16-07, 20:41
get all cheat items out of the house if you can.

I have plenty of cheat items, but I don't like any of them. My daughter is scrawny so she eats those items that I would call cheats.

Sandollar
Tue, Oct-16-07, 22:47
I tell ya...for the past two nights I've been eating beef short ribs that I stewed in the crock pot. They are SO rich that I feel almost ill after eating just one...very fatty...I have ZERO craving for anything after those babies!!!!

tmatrocks
Tue, Oct-16-07, 22:52
If you are going to be succesful at Atkins, you must do a strict Induction. Not sort of. Not close. Not somewhat. You need to stick to the allowable foods.

I don't know anything about the other plans. But if you do a clean Induction on Atkins, you stand SUCH A GREAT chance to succeed!

Good luck!

oakdryad
Wed, Oct-17-07, 02:59
Welcome! Not having cheat foods around is important...but it's also important to make sure you have plenty of *legal* foods around during induction. I keep cans of chicken, turkey and salmon in my desk drawer and a container of mayo in the fridge at work so I can eat when I need to.

FWIW, fat will help kill a craving. If you crave something, eat something else that's high in fat...an avocado, some sour cream (if you can handle dairy), an ounce of macadamia nuts, whatever.

Another thing that I've found that helps me with cravings is l-glutamine. I've seen different people say it does or doesn't work for them, but for me it does do the trick. Glutamine is one of the most abundant amino acids in the body, but high stress can cut down your production (I have a high stress job). So I take 1-2 teaspoons a day and that seems to really help.

Being fierce about counting your carbs is a big deal. I find that for me, I need to count TOTAL carbs, not net. With net carbs my brain finds ways to slide...but if I count the total, then I KNOW what I'm getting and where it's coming from.

In the beginning the cravings are physical, but then as you get over the high carb poisoning, any leftover cravings are probably emotional, and you'll need to figure out strategies for dealing with them. I've found a couple of books to be really helpful in picking up strategies -- The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck and The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo.

Good Luck!

fiestyone
Wed, Oct-17-07, 04:32
Thank you for your suggestions. I have to tell you, last night I started craving, and for the first time I was able to get rid of it following your advise. I think in the past I may have not had enough fat. I fried up 3 pieces of bacon, and ate them and the grease. I need to find out more about fat, and coconut oil. Can you recommend an area on this forum that has information concerning this topic? Thanks

Goolu
Wed, Oct-17-07, 12:45
Welcome Welcome Welcome

tdoty
Thu, Oct-18-07, 22:31
Welcome!! :wave: