PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition key to surviving HIV/AIDS

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kebaldwin
Wed, Oct-10-07, 04:41
Nutrition key to surviving HIV/AIDS, WHO says

Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa)

10-09-07

Bangkok (dpa) - Well-balanced meals are a key ingredient to survival for the millions of HIV/AIDS patients in South and South-East Asia, World Health Organization (WHO) experts said Tuesday.

"Nutrition and HIV are closely related," said Samlee Plianbangchang, WHO's regional director for South-East Asia.

"HIV affects nutritional status, and poor nutrition in turn leads to faster progression of HIV to AIDS," Samlee told a seminar of health workers and experts who gathered in Bangkok this week to find solutions to fighting the two epidemics of malnutrition and HIV/AIDS. "Scaling-up care and antiretroviral therapy cannot be addressed without appropriate support for nutrition."

There are an estimated 4 million people suffering from HIV/AIDS in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Myanmar, Thailand, South Korea and Sri Lanka, the area defined by the UN agency as South-East Asia.

The good news is that most Asian diets are well-suited to providing the nutrition HIV/AIDS patients require.

"I think Thai food is well-balanced and has all the nutrients somebody needs, but it depends on keeping the right balance of carbohydrates, proteins and fats," said Ranga Saadeh, a scientist working for WHO's nutrition department in Geneva.

Evidence has established that people living with HIV have higher energy needs than those who are HIV-negative.

Asymptomatic HIV-positive adults or children need 10 per cent more energy than those who are not HIV-positive, and those at advanced stages need 20 to 30 per cent more energy to maintain body weight, Saadeh said.

HIV-positive children who are losing weight need 50 to 100 per cent more energy, she said.

Providing a balanced, nutritious diet in countries where malnutrition is endemic poses an added challenge to their health services.

"This HIV/AIDs epidemic is being superimposed on the already existing malnutrition problems," Saddeh said, "so if we want to make a difference, we should really deal with both challenges at the same time."

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=5967&Section=NUTRITION

kebaldwin
Wed, Oct-10-07, 04:42
more evidence that proper nutrition plays a big role in fighting disease

Gostrydr
Wed, Oct-10-07, 13:36
KE..Orthomolecular Nutrition is paramount for wasting disease due to Hiv/Aids..

Here is an awesome site..the book "Built to Survive" should be mandatory reading for everyone interested in vitamin/supps, excercise and immune enhancement.

http://www.medibolics.com/

kebaldwin
Wed, Oct-10-07, 14:11
Here is a link to the fourth edition

http://www.amazon.com/Built-Survive-Wellness-Guide-Fourth/dp/1890772437/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7599396-2136634?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192046908&sr=1-1

Do you recommend it for people without HIV/AIDs?

I would imagine if they go find out what makes big improvements in people with HIV/AIDs - then it should make big improvements in our (people without HIV/AIDs) preventive health.

Gostrydr
Fri, Oct-12-07, 09:31
Oh yeah..some of his recommendations are for theraputic doses so we have to adjust accordingly..but the overall suggestions are one that all should adhere to...it helped me get back on my feet after my "C" battle.