PDA

View Full Version : Waffles that make you weep with joy!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Stormy
Sat, Feb-23-02, 14:56
For those of you who have a waffle iron gathering dust in the cupboard, here's a recipe for EXTREMELY low carb waffles that will make you jump for joy!

I started with the recipe for the French "toast" and changed it ever so slightly.

Wonder Waffles (all carb counts are from Fitday.com)

4 large eggs (2 carbs)
2 Tbls. heavy cream (1 carb)
2 Tbls. water (0 carbs)
1 Tsp. vanilla extract (1 carb)
2 Pkt. Splenda (or 2 tsp. powdered Splenda) (2 carbs)
2 or 3 ounces of crushed pork rinds (0 carbs)
1/4 Tsp. ground cinnamon (.5 carbs)
3 Tbls. melted butter (0 carbs)

I used my food processor to get the pork rinds down to a fine, almost powdery consistency.

Beat the eggs then add the cream, water, and vanilla extract and beat some more. Mix the Splenda with the cinnamon and then add that to the eggs. (Mixing the cinnamon with the Splenda before adding helps to keep the cinnamon from clumping up as much.) When well blended mix in the ground pork rinds.
Let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes until it thickens. Then stir and check the consistency. It should be quite thick, but not to thick to spoon easily. If too thick, add a little water. If too thin, add a little bit more pork rinds. Just before you're ready to put into waffle iron, stir in about 2/3 of the melted butter.

I have a "Belgian Waffle" baker and it makes two waffles at a time -- each about 4X4 inches. I brushed the top and bottom of the waffle baker with about half of the remaining melted butter, then I spooned about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of batter on each side of the bottom half of the baker and used a spoon to spread the batter out a little. Then I closed the top of the waffle baker. It took about 5 or 6 minutes to bake the two waffles. I had enough batter to make a total of four waffles, each about 4X4 inches.

If you have a "big" waffles iron, you will probably make just two with this amount of batter.

These waffles firmed up and browned just like "real" waffles.

I served them with sugar free maple syrup and more butter (of course!)

With a couple of strips of bacon, this is an awesome breakfast -- at about 2-1/2 carbs per waffle - including the syrup! Without the syrup (mine has about 4 carbs per 1/4 cup), the carb count would be about 1-1/2 carbs per waffle.

I could only eat 1 and half of another one. My DH ate 2-1/2 and declared them "just as good" as any other waffles he's ever eaten.

If any of you live in the south and have ever eaten at the Waffle House restaurant, they have a specialty pecan waffle. I think this recipe would be absolutely incredible with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans added to the batter. And the pecans would only add about 1-1/2 effective carbs to each waffle. Still quite a carb bargain!

If anyone out there tries this, I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

:wiggle:

lcon109
Sun, Feb-24-02, 18:48
I had to try these as they were the only thing that sounded like I would like them considering they had pork rinds in them!

I had purchased a small bag of pork rinds, ate one.. nearly threw the bag out, but then decided it wouldn't kill me to hang onto them.

I tried this and it turned out really well! I added more cinnamon and nutmeg and vanilla (trying to kill the rind taste) and slathered them in butter. They were very good!

I'll use these as a nice change from the egg breakfast regime.

Thanks for this!

Lisa

l_knierim
Tue, Mar-26-02, 19:37
I made these today,well sort of, I made pancakes instead. They are great. I added one more splenda pk..I will make these often, Thanks for the post.Lynn :roll:

2OnAtkins
Mon, Apr-08-02, 08:59
I made these Saturday morning. My husband thought that they were OK, but I think that they may need a little more cinnamon and/or Splenda to mask the taste of the pork rinds. They definiteley look like real waffles. I would make these again. :spin:

Cherio
Mon, Apr-08-02, 10:40
Thanks for the recipe Stormy, these sound wonderful.....::::::Cheri, who is dusting off the waffle iron!:::::

DWRolfe
Fri, Apr-12-02, 08:11
I love the Pork Rind French Toast recipe...

...so I'm looking forward to trying this one this weekend with some bacon!

Thanks for the recipe!

Donald :daze:

joanne42
Fri, Apr-12-02, 11:25
This looks like a fabulous recipe.. will have to give it a try.

jmey100
Wed, Apr-17-02, 11:25
First I cooked the bacon in the waffle Iron

Turned out crisp and I did not have to use another pan and clean it up, also did not have to grease the Iron

Loved the waffles made some to freeze for a fast breakfast Topped mine with fresh Whipping cream and fresh strawberries...UMMMMMMM

DWRolfe
Tue, Apr-23-02, 08:59
And it was very good...

...texture just like regular waffles. I also added a bit more cinnamon. I have a round waffle iron and this recipe made two full waffles and half of another. And in true LC spirit, I made them for dinner rather than breakfast!

Ate the waffles with bacon, butter and sugar free syrup and it was very good.

I would definately make these again!

Thanks, Stormy!

Donald :wave

kattdlc
Tue, May-07-02, 07:34
Stormy- these sound great-- another great recipe
with pork rinds in them..!!! can't wait to try
them!
deb :daizy:

Collegekid
Fri, Aug-02-02, 17:36
Okay, I really like pork rinds but I must admit when I first saw this receipe I thought.......................hmmmmm..............no, .......YUCK!!

I tried it. It is REALLY GOOD!!!! I modified it slightly. When grinding up the pork rinds in the food processor, I also tossed in 10 pecan halves

The only thing I reget is NOT buying the low carb sugar free syrup at the grocery store today. I told myself not to waste the money on the syrup until you know you are going to like the waffles............

On my way back to the store now for the syrup for tomorrow.

candy lady
Tue, Sep-17-02, 16:16
Oh Stormy!!!
You have saved my day! I was just starting to get tired of eggs,etc for breakfast. Now I can try waffles. And the idea of pecans in them will be perfect! I usually cant wait to go to New Port Richie ,Fla each year to go to "the waffle house". Now I can make my own, thanks to you.
I'm going to try these in the morning since I need some more pork rinds.
Leaving now for the store. Thank you, again
:wave:

cre8tivgrl
Sat, Sep-28-02, 14:18
Okay, I am off to the store to buy the ingredients to try for breakfast tomorrow.

I was hoping that more people had made the pancake version since we don't have a waffle iron (we have a Foreman grill.... but somehow I don't think that will work the same ;) ).

So... I will try the pancakes (as will my unsuspecting son and hubby) and report back tomorrow....

stay tuned....

cre8tivgrl
Mon, Sep-30-02, 12:26
Okay, I tried it. I really liked the flavor but I don't think I used enough pork rinds because it was still really eggy.

Do you think that might have been it???

However, even eggy, it was a great addition!!! Thanks!

candy lady
Mon, Sep-30-02, 17:05
I finally tried these waffles on Sunday. The grandchildren wanted pancakes so I made waffles for me.
Boy are these good! My grand daughter said they smelled like french toast. I loved the texture! Almost like the flour waffles.
Thank you so much, Stormy for posting this recipe. :roll:

CPhilson
Mon, Oct-07-02, 20:05
We've made the waffles twice so far. They are very good - in looks, texture and taste. It's so surprizing considering pork rinds are the base of the recipe. You just can't imagine.

For syrup we used 1 stick of butter, a capful of maple extract/flavoring, and about 5 or 6 Splenda packets. It was really good.

SupahSteph
Sun, Dec-22-02, 18:39
I just made the waffles and they were pretty good!!

If you are like me and my boyfriend... we both said, "PORK RINDS? yuck." But I was eager to bake/make something- and in the mood for a meal other than burgers or chicken (for dinner).

Soooo....

I crushed the pork rinds in the blender, and then sifted out any of the hard pieces that didn't grind down. So, I ended up with a nice powder/flour.

Then, I follwed the instructions-- eggs, cream, water, vanilla, sugar&cinnamon... but I added an extra pkt of splenda, a little more cinnamon (I didn't measure- just to "taste") and some nutmeg. After it was all mixed up- I added a cup of powdery pork rinds.

I have a Sunbeam waffle maker- and I was able to get 4 waffles from the batch. The last 2 "boiled" over a bit... so I bet if I watched it closely, I could have gotten 5 waffles from the batch.

I took the suggestion of topping with homemade whipped cream (eventhough I also added it to the batch), and butter.

I served it with a side of bacon-- just in case the waffles were "pork rind-y" I wanted to have a flavor that covered it- and basically confused the taste buds.

Nonetheless... I had 2 whole waffles- and my boyfriend (also LC and 260lbs of hungry man) only had 1 waffle and was pleasantly full! :yay:

I finished it off with a mock root beer float (diet root bear, with some of the left over whipped cream) and let me tell you.... I feel like I have gone out to a restaurant and splurged on treats!

YUM YUM!

LadyBug555
Tue, Jan-07-03, 18:58
I was in my grocery store today and could not find HEAVY CREAM. Gee I have avoided that stuff for years and now can't find it. I could only find "whipping cream". Is that the same. Last time I used HEAVY CREAM, we scooped it right off the milk at the farm!!

SupahSteph
Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:47
In my grocery store, we have "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream". I am sure you can use either one in the recipe. Just note the carbs, because I am sure the heavier cream has less. :-D

oregongirl
Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:34
Good Morning everyone!! :D
I just wanted to let you all know that I am so excited about all of these wonderful recepies(I don't think I spelled that right) I never thought that low carbing could be so good.. :p . I am going shopping today, so I willl be able to try some of these yummy dishes.. Again thank you so much for the info :p :D .......
I can't wait to try them yummmm !
Oregongirl :wave:

Yank_in_NC
Fri, Jan-31-03, 07:21
Stormy:

Thanks for posting that recipe. I made them last weekend and loved them!!! I had previously bought the Atkins pancake mix and hated it. These waffles were wonderful. Thanks again for making my breakfast much more interesting!

Kim

nitrovixen
Sat, Mar-15-03, 12:54
Stormy! You are my new breakfast hero!
I have been too squeemish to try any of the "Pork rind french toast" recipes but finally braved it out for these waffles..
They were SO GOOD! I almost did weep when it tasted like I was eating a real carby breakfast and in reality it's so LC!!
I added a little extra Splenda and a tiny sprinkle of Stevia powder.and I followed the Pecan suggestion and processed them into the pork rind flour. Also more cinnamon, a tad more vanilla, and probably more pork rinds than I needed (they were pretty dense)
I also melted some butter, added Splenda (and a whisper of Stevia), and Maple flavor and brushed them on the waffles when they came out of the iron, plus added plenty of SF maple syrup. Yummy!
Next time I will grate some fresh nutmeg into the batter and they will be perfect!

:D Happy at Breakfasttime,
Sheri J

ps- My fiance would not try them, no matter how much coercing I did (but he was sweet enough to run out and get emergency eggs for me when I noticed we had none this morning... and oatmeal for himself when he saw what I was making.. ha ha. His loss!

lisam33
Sun, Mar-16-03, 11:10
I made these and was fairly pleased with them. I put two almonds in with the pork rinds when i ground them to give a little nutty flavor to it and used da vinci sugar free carmel syrup instead of vanilla extract because I had no vanilla in the house. The only thing i wasn't too thrilled about was the texture. I am probably deprived but never actually had REAL waffles. Pretty much used to Eggo or other frozen waffles. These waffles were very fluffy, more like french toast to me. I would like something just a little more crunchy like i am used to. Anyone have any suggestions. I have some left over to freeze, I wonder if i heat in the toaster rather than micro if these will get crispy.

nitrovixen
Sun, Mar-16-03, 12:53
I made them again this morning.. I've never had a problem with the texture. Mine are really dense but I think I add more pork rinds than the recipe states. I used between 3 and 3 1/2 oz of rinds. (Denser than eggo)
I had a leftover one for breakfast this morning and made it nice and toasty in the toaster. I think it would be soggy in the microwave!
I also tried new things in the recipe. I tossed in about 1/3 cup fake Marzipan I had made previously (ground almonds into butter, added splenda, stevia, vanilla, and almond extract) and a big handful of pecans (I added those last and barely grinded them so they were about 1/4 size). I also gave it a sprinkle of Stevia, some Amaretto Davinci syrup and fresh grated nutmeg. It ups the carb count to add all the extra nuts, but I ate 1 waffle (my waffle maker makes 4) and I was stuffed! I made a full batch so I can put them in baggies and freezer them for quick breakfasts.

Lisa, try experimenting a little and adding more pork rinds and nuts!

these are a definite keeper for me!

sheri

MsJinx
Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:22
LisaM33 - are you using a regular waffle maker or a belgian waffle maker? Belgian are more common. I got one free with my forman grill. Anyway, if you can find one of the old timey ones (my mom has one) or buy one, I think that is what you're looking for. I love those, too.

THIS is a GREAT recipe. Had to make them while my fella was at work - he would FREAK OUT. I'm planning to freeze them and bring them out when he makes (his own) waffles.

MsJinx
Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:40
Fit day numbers for this. I used 1.5 cups of ground porkrinds (in fitday as 1.125 oz) - not packed tightly into measuring cup, also non-alcohol vanilla.

Calories 1064

Grams:
Fat 86
Carbs 6
Fiber 1
Protein 65

Might help if you're trying to tweak the recipe. (I got five 4"x4.5" waffles out of this)

MsJinx
Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:50
In fitday you have the choice of entering 'cup' (not crushed), '2oz bag', or 'rinds'.

I entered pork rinds in fitday entered as 1.125 of 2oz bag.

1 dry measure cup of crushed rinds = 1.5 oz
1/2 dry measure cup of crushed rings = .75 oz

MsDad
Tue, Oct-28-03, 21:50
OK, I know it's been 6 months since the last post to this thread, but I just found it yesterday. I made the waffles tonight. Not bad, but like cre8tivgrl, I found them to be as bit "eggy," as well as sort of heavy/dense. I'm going to experiment with beating the egg whites first, then folding them into the rest of the batter and I'm going to try a little baking powder. One mistake I know I did make was that since I was always taught to add a pinch of salt to any recipe containing eggs, I did just that and they turned out a tad salty! :rolleyes: But otherwise, I think I can make these things again and have them turn out pretty darn good! :yum: Just have to work on the syrup now. The Atkins syrup has an okay enough flavor, but it's just so thin and runny. Any good syrup recipes out there??

NANCI B
Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:16
When I make these, I add 1 tsp baking powder. I like the texture better and my little daughter, who doesnt like anything, loved these. My hubby too. I recomend adding the baking powder.
Nanci

rishamoon
Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:01
I'm going to have to try these... Especially if they freeze well and can be popped in the toaster. I'd eat breakfast more often if I could make it EASY on me in the morning... LOL

I'll probably whip these up one night (when I am more prone to do cooking) .

Oh, on the good syrup, there are pancake syrups that are sugar free that are pretty good, as long as you don't mind sugar alcohols. Usually I can find them with the regular pancake syrup in the store or by the diabetic foods.

:)

rishamoon
Tue, Nov-18-03, 14:44
Ok... I tried them... OMG... My 4 year old helped me make them and we added blueberries. SO GOOD. I forgot to add the 1 tsp baking powder like I meant to, but they were still really good. I didn't find them eggy or porky (perhaps the blueberries helped some.) I've got two cooling on the counter to be frozen so I can see how they do in the toaster. That is if kiddo and I don't decide on seconds first. LOL. I will be making this again for sure!

SPSHS
Mon, Dec-01-03, 19:46
Truly enjoyed the waffles!! I'm dying to share them with my family back home!
Kat

chubybuddy
Mon, Dec-15-03, 20:14
All I can say is yummmmmy! My mouth loved the texture and I will add more cinnamon next time.

I made 4 of them with my little waffle iron I ate two and made a sausage sandwhich out of them as
I did not have syrup..it was nice to eat a sandwhich. Do you have any idea how nice it was to eat
a sandwhich,,,I am sure you do. I loved to slapping that butter on something I have
never been able to do.

Now I have SF syrup and tomorrow oh boy waffles!! The real Mc Coy. I think those of you who do not
like them are not making them right...or something. Maybe our tastebuds are different..

My husband thought I had gone off my diet.

Thank you Thank you Thank you...there is a god!!

CherylAust
Fri, Jan-30-04, 22:07
I tried the waffles today, only had a 1oz bag of pork rinds, so just mixed up half a batch. They were very good, I did overfill my wafflemaker, only ended up with one big one and a sixth of one.
It's funny because I asked for a wafflemaker for Christmas, now that I started lc I thought I'd never use it again.

And while I like pork rinds when I first read this recipe and Karens pancake one, I thought eeewwww.

Conisu
Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:18
:yay: I got an idea an wooooo hooooo it was good. I made the waffles and then I crunched up a piece or 2 of bacon and sprinkled that right on top of the mixture before I closed the waffle iron. Years ago I had eaten a bacon pecan waffle at a resturant that was really good and I thought . . . Hmmmm pork rind waffles sounds kind of strange, but everyone LOVES them so I will try it! Then I remembered the bacon waffle and the next thing you know I am in the kitchen. These are fabulous! And the bacon puts any thoughts of pork rinds aside. Any porky flavor is due to the bacon! Thanks for this recipe. Now that I have had the nerve to try this, can Pork Rind Cake be far behind?

AnneD
Mon, Oct-11-04, 11:49
Would the waffle recipe be considered a two portion recipe? I know I should eat until satisifed, but knowing approx portions helps me a lot.

Thanks, AnneD

irisda
Thu, Oct-14-04, 09:42
ok whats wrong with me. i tried them last night. they looked like waffles. they didnt taste like pork rinds but honestly they didnt taste like waffles either. The texture seemed to be off. Maybe too grainey..but how floury/pancakey can you get with pork rinds? I am not sure how they were supposted to turn out so I dont know if its just me who didnt think they were great or if I in fact did something wrong. They looked like waffles but the taste was off. Am I defeating the low carb purpose if I add more cinnamon or flavorings? I saw somewhere that someone put in baking poder which has 2 carbs per serving? What do you all think? I went out and bought a waffle iron and everything. Last night on sale for 14.99. I love target.

Ginga
Thu, Oct-14-04, 10:04
Eggo now make slocarb waffles.They're pretty good and alot more convenient. Anyone try these?

AnneD
Thu, Oct-14-04, 10:21
I find that Wise brand pork rinds are not so hard, so they grind up better and finer than some of the other brands. I use the flat side of a huge mallet (the kind that's used for flattening chicken breasts) and pound away. It works nicely. I did use a bit more cinnamon and it improved the flavor. :yum:
One thing I have decided is that I will only make special low carb recipes maybe once a week. I lose so slowly that I had better keep it simple until I lose way more weight.

susimiller
Sat, Oct-16-04, 09:56
Stormy- I just made your waffles and modified the recipe by adding a small packet- I think it was like 3/4 oz of the vanilla flavored whey protein isolate to the pork rinds. The flavor was just delicious- but they did not get crisp. Did I mess it up by adding the whey protein isolate?
Thanks- Susi

DWRolfe
Thu, Oct-28-04, 13:04
I pulversize my pork rinds in a food processor. And as long as I am doing it, I pulverize an extra bag and keep the leftovers for breading chicken and so forth in a sealed container in the the fridge.

MissScruff
Sat, Nov-06-04, 15:29
I pulversize my pork rinds in a food processor. And as long as I am doing it, I pulverize an extra bag and keep the leftovers for breading chicken and so forth in a sealed container in the the fridge.

How long do the pork rinds keep in the frig after processing?

MissScruff
Sat, Nov-06-04, 17:06
Ok. I think I am a good cook, but the errors I have made lately!! I think I must be out of practice! When I mixed the batter I assumed the recipe meant 3 ounces...as in directly from the bag! So, I ended up with 4 times what I needed and so added the other ingredients four times! Sooooo, next time I make them I will use 3 ouces of pork rind powder! Oh well! And a bit more nutmeg and they will be perfect! Oh yes, I added a handful of walnuts to the food processor! And a teaspoon of nutmeg! Of course, next time I make them the right way those last two will really add a nice flavor!

WyoDiva
Wed, Jun-15-05, 08:58
People, you gotta make this waffle recipe!

The sweet/cinnamon version is indeed a fabulous LC waffle with syrup and butter. I also made the recipe leaving out the splenda and cinnamon, and adding onion/garlic powder and parsley...and then used the waffles for sandwiches (turkey-bacon club, yum) and for garlic 'bread' with a steak.

The savory version has maybe .75 carb per waffle.

I'll tell you what - I felt like I was being soooooooooo bad when I was munching down on that turkey-bacon club - and I wasn't!!!! :thup:

DigginDiva
Thu, Nov-03-05, 01:15
Pork Rinds shall deliver us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Stormy

Rubinesque
Mon, Nov-14-05, 07:48
Does anyone know if you can do pork rinds on the SB diet? I can't imagine that this would be too bad of a cheat. Anyway, I used to be an inkeeper for a B&B and found using a little all fruit and nuking it in the microwave was legal and gave evryone a variety of sugar free syrup flavors. I love the idea of making a large batch and freezing them.
Thanks
Rubinesque

JJ TERRY
Tue, Mar-07-06, 14:56
you might like to try this too....I made waffles with the mock danish recipe i took 4 oz of the cream cheese soften and 1 egg mixed in 1 lid full of vanilla then but it in the waffle maker that I got at wal-mart for under $10.00 and they were great!and sooooo easy!

Marieanne
Fri, Mar-24-06, 09:55
I made these this morning and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful!!!! Thanks so much, I'm not a bigg egg fan, so this really saved my life!!! :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

messyhare
Fri, Apr-21-06, 11:09
The BEST waffles!! Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

Mine looked and tasted JUST like real ones. They are a hit - I made a double batch and am freezing the extras to reheat next week.

Thanks again!!

norcalgal
Sun, Apr-23-06, 02:06
I just made these, and they were SOO good! I added about 7 times the amount of cinnamon called for and also added pecans and lemon juice. I then poured a bunch of butter mixed with cinnamon over the baked waffles, Mmmmm. Thanks!

CooknCajun
Sat, Dec-16-06, 15:05
Aloha Stormy,

Many mahalos for posting this recipe! It took me a few months to get to making it. Having to order the pork skin "pellets" (cheaper this way), frying them up (yum!) and today preparing the waffles.

Can't believe its got pork skins in it. You can believe I'll be experimenting with these for savory purposes.

CC

Azure
Sun, Jan-14-07, 13:05
I remember making these a few years back when I first started low carbing. Now that I'm trying this again (wish me luck) I decided to give these another try. Didn't have any sf syrup, so I made them savory instead and topped them with pesto. Still just as good as I remember. But it still freaks out my friends. :)

Gypsybyrd
Mon, May-25-09, 12:27
I made these yesterday with the pork rinds. I made two just like the recipe then, while those were cooking, I added Da Vinci's sf caramel syrup. That really masked the taste of the pork rinds. If I go that route again, I'd increase the eggs or add more cinnamon or add ground pecans because without that the pork rind flavor came through loud and strong.

Today I made them again. I halved the recipe, deleted the pork rinds and added 3/4 cup of pecan meal. Really pretty good. A touch dry. And next time I'll try adding caramel syrup. They, because of the pecan meal, look like whole wheat waffles.

Oh - I cooked them on setting 2 for 3 minutes.