PDA

View Full Version : Help, I'm a refugee...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cajuncutie
Sat, Oct-06-07, 09:36
From the Kimkins site. Hope that you guys are welcoming us with open arms. Cuz I'm afraid I for one am a very "lost sheep" looking for a flock to join - in this crazy quest for weightloss. I haven't been on many "real" change of life diets, even though I've been overweight off and on, for most of my life. So I'm afraid I really need guidance, no idea which direction to go in :help: or where to start! After beginning the K/E June 11th, I lost 28 lbs in 5 weeks, but I fell off plan early August and wasn't been able to get back on it. I gained back 3lbs. not too bad considering I really haven't been dieting since then. Not sure what diet direction to head for, although LC seems to be the angle for me, and I look forward to learning more and more. I intend to do alot of reading to help myself, and any helpful hints I can gather from you folks would certainly be appreciated!! :D

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. :wave:

amadeus431
Sat, Oct-06-07, 10:16
Glad you found your way. I think it's safe to say that any of the lowcarb sites will welcome you!

Daryl
Sat, Oct-06-07, 10:26
Welcome, fellow cajun :)

You'll find a wealth of information, and great people, here.

For some reading, check this out: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=343913

IrishShrty
Sat, Oct-06-07, 15:18
Hi, welcome to a great start of a healthier woe, which ever low carb plan you chose!

JAnn
Sat, Oct-06-07, 15:59
I've been reading some about Kimkins and no wonder you feel lost. There is a wealth of experience and information here. We like LCing because we can lose weight and feel better at the same time! :) Research away and ask questions--and welcome home!:wave:

LessLiz
Sat, Oct-06-07, 16:10
Welcome Cajun. Glad you survived the KK experience.

pennink
Sat, Oct-06-07, 16:15
Hi hon,
I was a veteran low carber and fell into the low fat/low carb thing... thank goodness I got off without too long going by.

I found Atkins 72 works great for me, but you should check out the other low carb plans to see what you like best. After K/E anything else will seem easy peasy, trust me. I still feel guilty eating fat, but wow, I am waaaaaay over that now (as I sit here gobbling a piece of cheese).

Welcome, and please, consider us all your friends! If you have any questions, ask away!

oakdryad
Sat, Oct-06-07, 17:01
Hi Cajun! I'm a *refugee* too. :wave: I got banned this week...and I can only think it was because I was telling people they weren't eating enough, especially enough protein and fat. All they'd tell me was *TOS violations.*

It doesn't really matter anyway, because I'd been transitioning to something closer to Atkins or PP anyway. The last month and a half has been high stress, and I knew I'd need more fat and protein to make it through that without diving face first into the carb-y mess I used to eat. :lol:

Welcome to both of us, and have fun finding a new plan that you can live with and even better, be satisified with. :yum:

Glad to see others here.

cajuncutie
Sat, Oct-06-07, 17:21
Thank you all for the very kind welcome. :D I am ready to jump in feet first!! I know I have lots to find out...thank you Daryl for the link!! It's gonna be a bit overwhelming to acclimate myself (once again) :roll: I've got tons to do!!

Kisal
Sat, Oct-06-07, 17:22
A very warm welcome to you, Cajuncutie! I'm glad you found us! You will find a lot of encouragement, support and information here. It's a great place! :wave:

Daryl
Sat, Oct-06-07, 17:42
Thank you all for the very kind welcome. :D I am ready to jump in feet first!! I know I have lots to find out...thank you Daryl for the link!! It's gonna be a bit overwhelming to acclimate myself (once again) :roll: I've got tons to do!!

You're welcome; as the others have said, if you have any questions, let us know. :)

BluePants
Sat, Oct-06-07, 18:37
Welcome, glad you got out of that KK situation and found this site. Its free and you won't get any bad advice here.

cajuncutie
Sun, Oct-07-07, 11:43
Please don't think I am a drama queen...It's just that I began reading the below thread looking in my quest for the "just right" diet for me, and checking peoples journals, and somehow ended up here. I opened the link, and OMG, can't believe what I've unexpectedly run upon, and just had to put it out here in black and white so I could get affirmation one way or the other!! :eek:

I of course read the whole story, and found myself a bit fascinated that the plan she writes about (from '05) seems less "over the top", by way of not being as low in calories. Am I still too easily influenced by this diet, or just plain gullable? Or have I been brainedwashed into believing it is fine to continue, just tweek it - right there in the thread they suggested not doing it for more than a week. What is it about this diet....Is it the ease of the K/E that I am drawn to???
Please advise....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/lisa1212/Gifs/RR%20Board%20Gifs/armata_PDT_40.gif As I may need a platoon to help keep me on the straight and narrow!!

procDue to much rastination, and several as yet to be named excuses, I have officially started the Meat and Egg Fast today.

I read all 66 pages of a thread about the fast this morning and it steeled my resolve!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=234866

My first impression was wow! This post in particular is exemplary at laying out the plan...(it's long, bear with it though)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=234866&page=3&pp=15&highlight=Kimmers+Experiment

I will start weighing myself again on Wednesday....

Wish me strength and will power, luck is for the weak! :wave:

cajuncutie
Sun, Oct-07-07, 12:01
Hi Cajun! I'm a *refugee* too. :wave: I got banned this week...and I can only think it was because I was telling people they weren't eating enough, especially enough protein and fat. All they'd tell me was *TOS violations.*

It doesn't really matter anyway, because I'd been transitioning to something closer to Atkins or PP anyway. The last month and a half has been high stress, and I knew I'd need more fat and protein to make it through that without diving face first into the carb-y mess I used to eat. :lol:

Welcome to both of us, and have fun finding a new plan that you can live with and even better, be satisified with. :yum:

Glad to see others here.

Hi oakdryad....welcome to you too!! :D What exactly is PP? This finding a diet strategy is hard!!

Daryl
Sun, Oct-07-07, 12:05
cc, you may get a bigger response if you post this in the general low carb section :)

Then again, kimkins gets a lot of attention no matter where it is, so I may be wrong.

My quick take is, the meat & eggs deal is somewhat similar to Paleo/carnivore eating, which is fairly simple (if restrictive), and is healthier than eating processed foods and carbs, in my opinion.

SE Tx, huh....... :)

oakdryad
Sun, Oct-07-07, 12:18
PP is Protein Power...by the Drs. Eades. :) Sorry for using the abbreviation.

I'll tell you something Cajun, I have a few things to actually be thankful to KK for... The first is actually getting my butt back to LC-style eating. The second is that I really do know now that for me, I need to keep track of total carbs, not net. The third is to concentrate on REAL food, not Frankenfoods.

The last time I'd tried Atkins AND Protein Power (last summer), I was feeling great, but not losing weight...looking back I can see that I was eating too many processed foods, slip sliding by on using net carbs and eating WAY too much fruit, instead of concentrating on getting my carbs from non-starchy veggies and finding the right proportions of fat/protein/carbs for me.

So KK got my head back into the LC mode, but I never cut my fat and protein down to the levels she was suggesting, and I was APPALLED when I saw some of her advice. Like how no one needs more protein than a large chicken breast per day. :eek:

Given our experiences, I would suggest staying FAR away from any plan promoted by Kimmer. Yeah, it can be a little daunting to figure out what's going to work best for you. But with a little research and a little experimentation, I think you can find a great fit for your lifestyle and your tastes. I'm currently reading about 4 different books that have varying levels of LCstyle food plans. I think, however, that my best bet so far is a Atkins/PP/Groves-ish plan with slight tweakage. Although I AM having some thoughts along the Paleo line as well. :D I think I'll bounce around in those parameters for a while and see how things shape up. :cool:

oakdryad
Sun, Oct-07-07, 12:22
BTW, Daryl, I LOVE your quotes. :lol: Having read a bunch of scientific studies and all, I agree with them wholeheartedly.

Daryl
Sun, Oct-07-07, 12:57
BTW, Daryl, I LOVE your quotes. :lol: Having read a bunch of scientific studies and all, I agree with them wholeheartedly.

Thank you, Cynthia :) I'm a big fan of Dr Kendrick, and I happened across Peat's website, and find him to be pretty sharp, as well. :thup:

cajuncutie
Sun, Oct-07-07, 14:18
Thanks Daryl....I guess I was afraid to venture out yet? Hmmm, should I re-post it, or not.

Yes, bayou city...what area are you in?

Judynyc
Sun, Oct-07-07, 14:43
Welcome Cajun!! :wave:

Lisa N
Sun, Oct-07-07, 14:56
Welcome, Cajuncutie! If you are unsure of which low carb plan might be a good fit for you, check this link (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/) which gives a basic summary of the major low carb plans out there.
Finding a plan that fits best with your own tastes and lifestyle is the first step in making permanent changes. :)

Daryl
Sun, Oct-07-07, 15:19
Thanks Daryl....I guess I was afraid to venture out yet? Hmmm, should I re-post it, or not.

Yes, bayou city...what area are you in?

Don't be afraid! :)

I'm in Orange county, just the other side of Beaumont.

bailey42
Sun, Oct-07-07, 15:26
I am also a reugee and lost 27 pounds is 5 weeks. Started in June and have been losing hair since day 3 of the diet and still after being off the diet 3 months am still losing hair. My doc says the very low calories, low fat was causing the adrenal glands and thyroid to have to work overtime and probably wore them down. I experienced dizziness, weakness, blurred vision and several other health issues. I am furious and would never recommend the plan. On the plan I was eating from 300-500 calories daily and was still encouraged to eat less when I wasn't losing, not to mention the push for laxitives. Now that I am out of there I see more clearly just what a cult it was. I am now starting over with the South Beach Plan and hope to be well again soon. Deb

cajuncutie
Sun, Oct-07-07, 15:44
I am also a reugee and lost 27 pounds is 5 weeks. Started in June and have been losing hair since day 3 of the diet and still after being off the diet 3 months am still losing hair. My doc says the very low calories, low fat was causing the adrenal glands and thyroid to have to work overtime and probably wore them down. I experienced dizziness, weakness, blurred vision and several other health issues. I am furious and would never recommend the plan. On the plan I was eating from 300-500 calories daily and was still encouraged to eat less when I wasn't losing, not to mention the push for laxitives. Now that I am out of there I see more clearly just what a cult it was. I am now starting over with the South Beach Plan and hope to be well again soon. Deb

Thank you Bailey for your story. That was again the wake up call I guess I needed. The reminder of the hairloss....we all know the vanities we have with our hair good or bad, loosing it is not an option for me. I need that reminder I suppose. Thank you again Bailey!

Daryl, so your REALLY SE Texas!!!!

Daryl
Sun, Oct-07-07, 15:46
Yep, about as SE as it can get without going into the Gulf :lol:

htxfroggy1
Tue, Oct-09-07, 11:04
Cajuncutie, Glad to see you found your way over here. I know you will find the plan that works best for you. Let me know if you need anything. You know where to find me.

cajuncutie
Tue, Oct-09-07, 12:57
Hi ya Froggy!! :wave: Thanks for leading the trail to this place, seems like a very nice bunch here....willing to be very helpful! Feels like home!! :D

cajuncutie
Tue, Oct-09-07, 12:58
Hey one question....please explain the chicken leg thingy under the picture, and how it goes from chicken legs to the other thingymagigs?

pennink
Tue, Oct-09-07, 13:14
Hey one question....please explain the chicken leg thingy under the picture, and how it goes from chicken legs to the other thingymagigs?

it goes to different levels as you post... click it and you will see the levels.

cajuncutie
Tue, Oct-09-07, 16:02
OMG that's too funny!! I was wondering why mine went down from 4 legs yesterday to 1 today.

Goolu
Wed, Oct-10-07, 12:11
Welcome ;)

junebug50
Wed, Oct-10-07, 17:06
Good Afternoon, :help:
Just want to check in and ask some directions, I'm a KK follower who wants to stay low carb low fat, I like that way of eating, which plan shall I look at on this forum? I'm taking vitimens and supplements and really want to eat healthy and get this weight off. Been on a stall for a while, only lost 4 lbs in the last 30 days and I have been faithful to eat clean. :confused:

Thanks for your help,
Junebug

cajuncutie
Thu, Oct-11-07, 08:40
Welcome ;)

Thanks Goolu! This seems like a really nice place, with alot of helpful people! I am excited to have found a new group.