PDA

View Full Version : It can be done!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

blueheron
Fri, Feb-22-02, 21:37
Hello fellow LC'ers.

I just want to let those of you out there with doubts, know IT CAN BE DONE!

I started Atkins about 2 1/2 years ago, at the recommendation of my doctor, believe it or not. I can remember how, while the diet was working, how hard it was to look at the long road ahead... it seemed almost insurmountable... but each month, I saw signs of progress... a belt notch here, a looser shirt there... it was all very exciting.

And about a 8 months ago, I reached an incredible moment... I actually lost 100 pounds!

I can now get into my old winter coat...with my 14 year old daughter! yep, arms and all and I can zip it up with both of us inside... and its actually comfortable.

To mark the journey I actually burned a pair of my old blue jeans, size 50 (I'm down to 40 and within a whisper of 38's)... took the ashes to the river and let the river wash them to the sea! It was an incredibly spiritual celebration for me.

I know there are many of you trying to imagine how to do it... somewhere, once I realized that this diet was for me, I proclaimed to myself... I AM 185... and started to live like I was already at my goal weight... I just figured it will take a little while for my body
to catch up... it really IS a state of mind. I am now down 114 pounds, have been told by others at work and elsewhere how much of an inspiration I am to them. I find it a bit embarrassing and humbling that something I did just for me, would move others
so much.

Now I can look back, and see the distance I have gone, and realize that my goal is entirely within my reach. I feel incredible... it is like being reborn! I'm doing things I could never imagine being able to do with my body again. There isn't a day that I dont marvel at being able to run up the stairs, two steps at a time, or discover stamina
that I didn't expect to have...

So for those of you out there... YOU CAN DO IT TOO! you just GOTTA believe...
Life is a journey, not a destination... so enjoy the trip too! :D

Rich

ldypgmr
Fri, Feb-22-02, 21:59
Hi Rich

How inspiring...I am ready for the 100 pound mark. I believe you when you say it's all in the mind. While I have only (notice the word only) lost 50 pounds, my body feels like it has shed 100. I know when I reach the 100 pound mark I will also celebrate it with something memorable.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dee
:thup:

wbahn
Sun, Feb-24-02, 02:41
Thanks for the wonderfully motivating story.

I too am going around visualizing myself at 180# doing all the things I simply can't do at my weight - and drooling as I visualize doing most of them within the next year.

One of the many things I want to do is skydiving. I called a couple of places a few (twelve?!?!) years ago and they said that the weight limit was 250#. I pointed out that they drop tanks out of airplanes, but that didn't seem to change their answer any.

mdxgirl37
Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:34
hi mdxgirl36 here or kelly if you prefer:)

thanks so much for your words of inspiration. i am getting ready to start my 3rd go round with modified Atkins. I initially started last july and lost 17 pounds in about 3 1/2 weeks. then just stopped.

i started again on december 26 and lost about 9 pounds in 5 weeks but lost inches really quickly and then stopped again! i am certain this is the only time in my life i have not starved myself to lose weight and have a lot of energy but yet i sabotage myself after just a few weeks!

so i am starting again. i also know that reading and posting this site helped me sosooooo much so i have to continue to check in with the folks here daily! Please any help with specifc foods you tried to stay away from or things that helped would be greatly appreciated.

i don't have alot of time for recipes and food prep so i keep it very simple with bacon or sausage and eggs (whipped with a dollop of cream cheese/mushrooms) in the am. usually 1/2 a pork steak/steak/chicken breast and small salad for lunch and whole steak/pork/chicken breast for dinner with lots of veggies. i snack on hardboiled eggs and raw veggies. i tend to not have a big appetite any any one time (unless it is late evening when i am bored :D ) so i try to kind of graze on my lunch throughout the afternoon while i am working at my desk and don't eat dinner til close to 7:00. I have realized one thing that i have to give up and that is my diet coke!!! I drink a lot of water but drink two or three diet cokes a day for flavor and the burst of energy (imagined????not sure). I have also cut back on the cheese cause i wasn't sure if it was benefiting me or not so only use that as an occasional snack.

PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

blueheron
Sun, Feb-24-02, 21:29
My goodness! skydiving! if you can build up the courage to jump out of an airplane, you certainly can find the courage it takes to do this diet! It is a great goal! What motivation!

I would offer all of you something I think is really important... there is no such thing as failure in the transition you are taking in your lives.... they are just great opportunities to learn more about how your body reacts to food! And you just can't do that without those momentary pauses...

I remember telling my wife, many years ago, that I almost wished I was alcoholic or a smoker instead of fat. Because to cure the problem, all I'd have to do is not drink or smoke anymore, but you just can't give up eating. Little did I know but the words were kinda prophetic. I discovered that you can indeed be chemically and psychologically addicted to food... in my case, carbs. Wow... I never fully understood the power of addiction until I tried this diet. You see, the first two weeks of induction on Atkins, really is designed to have you go "cold turkey" from carbs, especially sugar. And I gather that all of you pretty much learned that, because you had success, and increased energy. The chemical addiction is just a part of the problem though... there is also a lifetime of habits we have... snacking, munchies, favorite food traditions, like popcorn at the movies, ice cream watching tv... from my own experience THAT is the hard part, and takes several months before you have several established NEW habits... kinda like driving a car... it just takes time to master the controls.

Those lapses also teach us what our "trigger" foods are... not all carbs cause us to lose control. You'll just have to find out what they are. I thought rice was one, but I tried some rice after I had control of things and found that it just tasted teh same, but just didn't give me that orgasmic "melt into the chair" feeling... The food that does that for me.... bread... major danger food for me... so I just know, no Rich, not even one bite... because one bite will trigger three days of painful
cravings... just not worth it.

So, do keep up the good work! YOU CAN DO IT! Just be patient, don't be hard on your self when you slip, and believe it...
you weigh only much as you believe inside...

Rich

blueheron
Sun, Feb-24-02, 21:46
Hi Kelly...

hmmm... I'd suggest you find a bit more variety in your breakfasts... just because you will get bored. I've done things like deviled eggs... using some mayo and a teensie bit of ketchup... and remember, there is no rules you can't eat steak or a pork chop for breakfast occasionally...

The cokes probably do give you something of an energy boost, but it's probably the cafeine. Some people on this diet find that cafeine can affect their weight loss as can consuming that amount of artificial sweeteners. I have also heard that some artificial sweeteners can keep you craving carbs.... so for a start you might want to find a way to cut down on them.

As for munching all day... my wife is a grazer, too, and she found Atkins definitely not to her liking, vive la difference...
I would suggest that you watch your veggie carbs... they do add up. I have found a few snack food that help me out... I love sunflower seeds in the shell. 2/3 of a cup of them is about 6 carbs... and they can often last me a good portion of a movie feature to eat... so I always keep a small snack bag handy. I also found making my own cheese "cracker" is a great snack food too. I buy something like Hoffmann's Supersharp cheddar cheese, put it on a piece of parchmentpaper and microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes... it turns the slice into a bubbly mess that when cool is crispy, like a cracker. It is great with a little salsa, and I use it regularly for a bread substitute... putting a hamburger on it, or a ham sandwich, or just about any "legal" sandwich filling....works really well. The trick for me is to hide some from my daughter or I'll find myself in the morning without the means to make a sandwich for lunch.

Good luck!

Rich

texas-newf
Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:02
Rich,
Way to go ! You can be proud of your accomplishment and dont be shy about it, it took hard work and dedication !! I just started on Dec 4 and im down 36 pounds. I too can hardly wait to hit the 100 pound loss mark. I am really glad you posted your story here. It gives us hope that we too can also reach our goals.
Good luck with getting the last few pounds off.

Craig

LittleAnne
Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:12
What an achievement. A really inspirational success story. Good luck with the rest. I was interested to read that it took you two and a half years to get there as I am sure it will take me over 2 years to loose 100 1b. Slow and steady gets there. Bet it feels really great.

Little Anne

DWRolfe
Mon, Feb-25-02, 09:00
Congratulations, Rich...

I was moved by your story and by the images of you washing the ashes of your great big jeans out to sea! That must have been sweet! :thup:

I'm really looking forward to joining you and others at the 100 pound lost mark. The really cool thing about that for me is that I haven't a single doubt that I will join the club. :roll:

Thanks again for posting here. It's always an inspiration to hear from others that even huge amounts of weight can be lost with this WOE.

Continued success and good health to you!

Donald :wave: