PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kakeef
Fri, Feb-22-02, 20:02
Hi everyone! Tomorrow will be day one for me. I am desperate and 35 pounds overweight. I'm not sure I understand the Atkins diet but plan on buying a book. I do know that it's low carbs.
Am I right that 20 a day is about the limit? I'll be needing your help. I have read your sucess stories and I am very motivated..
I need to get these pounds off. Thanks

gwilson38
Fri, Feb-22-02, 20:08
you will find this forum very informative and supportive. I would suggest 1st looking thru the "which low carb plan is right for me " under quick links which is on the top right of this page. From there go out and buy a book. Start drinking lots of water. That is most important! And good luck.

kakeef
Sat, Feb-23-02, 07:00
Thanks for the reply Gwilson. I will make sure to drink lots of water.Do you weigh every day or once a week? Usually if I don't see a loss I get dpressed and then eat. Maybe this time I will not weigh myself as often. Kathy

wbahn
Sun, Feb-24-02, 02:32
Weigh yourself and take your measurements (a list of recommended measurements are in the book) on Day 1. Most people experience quite a bit of weight loss in the first few days (it's almost all water) and get real excited. Then weight loss usually slows, stops or even reverses in the second week and it's hard to not get discouraged. So you might want to simply avoid the scale for the first two weeks until the end of Induction.

Also, you need to accept that there will be slow times in your journey - even periods of no loss or slight weight gain. It's normal. Rely on this forum (in addition to whatever other support you have) to get you though the rough times.

gwilson38
Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:12
I have gotten into the habit of weighing myself twice a week, but everyone is different that way. wbahn is right tho, it is important that U have the initial weight and measurements. Sometimes U may experience a stall in weight loss but if U measure U may actually be losing inches.

wbahn
Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:29
I hope your first day went well.

I should have given you a head's up - Day 2 can be really rough as can the rest of the first week or so but most people are feeling really good by Day 4 or 5. It's temporary and the payoff is SO worth it.

The key to getting through the Induction Blahs quickly is to drink LOTS and LOTS of water as gWilson said.

kakeef
Sun, Feb-24-02, 21:17
Wbahn,
Thanks so much for your help. I am getting used to this diet. I am keeping real busy too so I'm trying to keep my mind off food. I did as you said and did the measuring. I am going to succeed!

slim2none
Sun, Feb-24-02, 22:44
:wave:

Hello Katie and welcome,

I just wanted to say hello and tell you that this web site has been my salvation. Everyone is so helpful and friendly.

I have done so much better since joining a couple of weeks ago and know that this site is keeping me focused and inspired.

You can do it! :thup:

kakeef
Mon, Feb-25-02, 12:34
slim2none
Thanks so much for your thread. By the way why do they call them threads? Do you know? Everyone has been just great. I am so glad that I joined! Everytime I feel the need to cheat I think about my friens here and their success stories. Thanks again!

heath1
Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:54
Hi Katie,

Glad you can join us. There are a lot of great people to get support from in the forum. I can encourage you to read the Atkins book from front to cover, that way you'll be primed and ready to go.

Heath1