PDA

View Full Version : Are we having fun yet?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Carman
Thu, Feb-21-02, 19:12
Started this journey almost 4 weeks ago and found out that they were closing our office, and figured that had better loose some weight quickly. My father was a proponent of Atkins back in the early eighties, and tried it at that time but found it too expensive on a teacher’s budget and I always had my cravings for homemade pasta so I was not very successful.

With new resolve I bought the new book and omitted myself to this journey. Since starting almost four weeks ago, I can honestly say that I haven’t cheated yet and have maintained at keeping my carbs at the 20 grams range. It has been difficult to keep my caloric intake beyond 2000+ calories without felling uncomfortable.

Since I am unable to determine true weight with out a scale that goes over 300LBS. positive feedback was slow to come, I have been ketosis within two days of starting induction, the sticks turn color quickly. Water consumption averages over 128oz and I take enough vitamin supplements to chock a horse.

My first warm fuzzy was having much more energy and over the weekend I was able to go down 1 pant size, luckily I have a closet full of pants that have been left behind over the years of getting myself to my current size.

When I started this journey I guess that my goal was to get to an arbitrary designated weight goal, but coming to the realization that 225 isn’t going to happen overnight, my short-term goals are first to loose enough weight so that it can register properly on the scale (for that reason I have resisted spending $100 on a new scale) and my other short term goal is get to a physical size to fit the next suit down, for future job interviews.

I feel positive that I can accomplish my goals one step at a time, with the support of my wife and children and hopefully from my soon to be new LowCarb friends.

Natrushka
Thu, Feb-21-02, 19:22
Welcome to the forum, carman. You sound like you're off to a great start.

While you may not be able to get accurate readings from a scale you can still measure your loss (and success) with a tape measure, something I highly recommend. Often loss is not reflected on the scales - a tape measure gives a much truer picture of what is going on. Having a pair of 'test pants' is also a good idea - I remember very clearly the feeling of being able to pull on my first pair that first time :)

Have a good look around the forum; be sure to check out the thread stuck at the top of "Newbies' Questions" called "Hot Links!" It's chock full of LC information. There are also some great articles under "Low Carb Tips" (in orange highlight atop every page) that are worth a peek.

Happy LCing and all the best.
Nat

gwilson38
Thu, Feb-21-02, 19:26
It sounds like U are off to a fabulous start and doing everything correctly. You are right, having short term goals are the best because U can then be proud of each level you reach either a goal weight or a pant size or maybe even a new fitness level. I wish U lots of luck....this is the best place for support! Oh by the way.....yes I am definitely have fun!! LOL