PDA

View Full Version : QUICHE

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Carlos
Thu, Feb-21-02, 16:51
Hi,

I'm fairly new to low carbing, so maybe a lot of you have already heard of this, but I was given this idea by a friend, who's sister is a nurse and so deals with a lot of diabetics.

To make a quiche, use corned beef instead of the pastry, simply compress the CB into the flan dish to line it, then fill with the usual quiche filling, and bake as normal.

I made a bacon, egg, & cheese quiche this way and it tastes better than a 'proper' pastry quiche.

Can't believe how much I'm eating, and yet the pounds keep falling off. :daze:

Daschnook
Fri, Feb-22-02, 03:11
Hiya

Wow - excellent idea....I think instead of the corned beef I may try lining the dish with crispy cheese!!!

mm mm mm

Daschnook

Carlos
Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:03
Sounds good, but won't the cheese melt?
Seriously, try it with the corned beef, you won't regret it.
Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!! :thup:

Daschnook
Tue, Feb-26-02, 03:27
Hi

The cheese wont melt if I eat the quiche cold but is there anything else other than corned beef I could line the quiche with? I really dont like corned beef but am willing to try somethign else.

Let me know

Daschnook

odd sock
Wed, Feb-27-02, 06:51
Instead of making any crust, I leave it out all together and bake in a hot water bath. All you need to do is find a pan that is larger than the quiche dish (I use a roasting pan), place the quiche dish into the pan and fill the pan up with warm water, enough to match the level of the filling but not so that it overflows into your quiche! The whole thing goes into the oven, baking time as normal. I suppose it is more of a savoury custard officially, but it doesn't brown the outside and leaves out the need for a crust.
Hope this helps!

LittleAnne
Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:09
What a great idea Carlos.

I'm going to have a go at making this next weekend. It will be great to have with my lunchtime salad.

Deirdre
Mon, Mar-04-02, 09:45
I've made quiche a few times with no crust, it turns out very well. I usually use a glass pie pan but have done it with a foil one too.

fiona
Sat, Mar-16-02, 06:20
Carlos : I tried it out. Put a very light dusting of soyflour at the bottom. Decided any fat from the corned beef would give me a fine pastry layer.

It turned out good - a bit too salty to be honest. One pie and it means I have a good LC snack for those nibbly moments.

Oddsock: I like your idea of boiling it. I have a recipe for "Doma" leaves which is similar. I would not even put it in the oven - Just steam it on the stove. That will be my next adventure!

Here's to fun with new recipies.
Take care.

LittleAnne
Fri, Apr-19-02, 06:42
I've tried out the quiche recipe twice now. I think that it works best if you use the corned beef as the base only, otherwise it can be overpowering and there is no room left for the filling!

Very nice though. Going to try it with mushrooms and perhaps courgettes as well.

CHRIS BRAY
Mon, May-13-02, 04:41
Hi Carlos

Try my Quiche 11 and baked egg custard desserts :thup:

There filling and low carb.

Chris