PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sevysia
Fri, Sep-21-07, 09:00
Hello there :)

I just started the low-carb diet for the second time yesterday (09.21.07). This time I am married with 3 (step) kids. I must admit it seems much harder this time LOL The first time I did Atkins I was single. I lost over 50 lbs and kept it off for close to a year (even after I quit eating low-carb). However, my Husband was a really bad junk food eater and I eventually caved in and we both gained a LOT of weight.

Anyway, my Hubby got onto a health and loose weight "kick" recently and has lost almost 20 lbs in 2 weeks (he can loose weight very quickly). And I guess I started to feel "left out" and decided to try the low-carb thing again.

I am finding it harder to start this time and the cravings are worse. I remember the last time I started this diet I was really excited as no other diet had really worked for me. This time I kind just feel a little depressed and keep thinking about all the foods I can no longer eat... which is bad and irrational I know.

Anyway, I thought maybe if I found others whom are doing the same thing perhaps we could encourage one another... so here I am ;)

Looking forward to making new friends!

Sincerely, Sevysia

lisacna
Fri, Sep-21-07, 09:10
Welcome I just recently started too. Wish you much luck. Lisa

LOL79
Sat, Sep-22-07, 04:05
Just stick with it -- those cravings should fade really soon once the induction gets going.

Don't feel too bad about what you can't eat -- think about all the great stuff you can eat. :) And, once you get into OWL, there are so many recipes that you can eat practically anything again, as long as you tailor the recipe to fit your new LC lifestyle.

This site has so many Atkins friendly recipes, do check them out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview

WH1968
Mon, Sep-24-07, 11:28
Well???? How's it going?
Hopefullly you are sticking with it and coming back here for support.

T-man

Sevysia
Tue, Sep-25-07, 06:56
Thank you all for your support! Thanks T-Man for following-up! I have been doing pretty well, have been on the diet for less than a week and have lost about 5 lbs so far... I did "fall off the wagon" one time when I went out to eat but got right back on that wagon the next day.

I realize this go around is going to be a little more difficult because of the kids but it just makes it all the more challenging ;) I read about the Atkins Flu here and think I am going through something like that including the symptom of irritability. Hopefully it will pass soon.

I didn't experience any symptoms the first time I was on the diet but then again, I hadn't been such a carb junkie as I have been this time and I exercised along with the diet the first time.

This go-around, due to a back problem I am at a bit of a disadvantage as I cannot run/jog this time and walking for long periods is painful too. So I am hoping if I can get 20lbs off, the back problem will ease-up a little and I can start to exercise along with the diet.

One thing that I am running into that perhaps you all can help me with is snacks. I get hungry but don't feel like or don't have the time to cook something and the only thing I can think of that is quick and easy is individually packaged snack cheeses. But I gotta admit, they are getting kinda boring already. Anyone have fast, easy snack ideas? (please note: I choose to abstain from almost all artificial sweeteners because of negative health data).

Thanks Again! I will try to post a "before" photo within a few days~ Sevysia

LOL79
Tue, Sep-25-07, 07:33
Hi Sevysia,

I just tried T-man's revolution rolls, and they are great for a snack. Also, hard boiled eggs, cold chicken legs, chicken mayo, cold cut wraps.

As for the sweeteners -- have you looked into xylitol? It is just ground birch bark, and to my knowledge has no negative health risks. It tastes much better than artificial sweeteners anyway. Only downside is its expensive, and if you overdo it you might get the runs.

WH1968
Tue, Sep-25-07, 10:15
Well keep up the great work!! Keep the faith.. the atkins flu will pass with time...

personally I use Sweetzfree (it's a liquid succralose)... it's the same as Splenda but doesn't have any carbs because it doesn't contain the fillers that make it powdery. You can do a search on the internet for it.. they only sell it at periods of the month... It helps me be able to use splenda without the carbs.

Xylitol is great.. has great oral hygene benefits for your teeth and such.. but I agree it's pretty rough on the intestines.

I also have baked with isomalt.. (diabetesweet)... for some desserts.. that's what helped me make it through the holidays last year.

T-man

queenleen
Tue, Sep-25-07, 10:21
Just stick with it -- those cravings should fade really soon once the induction gets going.

Don't feel too bad about what you can't eat -- think about all the great stuff you can eat. :) And, once you get into OWL, there are so many recipes that you can eat practically anything again, as long as you tailor the recipe to fit your new LC lifestyle.

This site has so many Atkins friendly recipes, do check them out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview

She is so right, keeping it interesting is a huge help - I just rededicated myself to low-carb again a while back and actually have tested out some of these recipes in the past week, which I never did in the past - that was one of the reasons I didn't stick with it before - but once you realize you can really get creative and find things you actually love, it will help you feel free - and lose without being hungry or hurting your metabolism? It's worth it - You can do it - Hang in there!!

Kisal
Tue, Sep-25-07, 12:06
This go-around, due to a back problem I am at a bit of a disadvantage as I cannot run/jog this time and walking for long periods is painful too. So I am hoping if I can get 20lbs off, the back problem will ease-up a little and I can start to exercise along with the diet.Yes! Your back pain definitely will decrease as you lose weight, especially if you're carrying some of your extra weight on the front of your tummy! That puts extra stress on your back muscles. Your pain may not go away completely, though, depending on your specific injury. When I began to lc back in 2004, my back pain was so severe that I wasn't able even to stand up long enough to make a cup of instant coffee. Now, I'm able to do yardwork, such as cutting out a blackberry thicket. Yay for me! :yay: :)

One thing that I am running into that perhaps you all can help me with is snacks. I get hungry but don't feel like or don't have the time to cook something and the only thing I can think of that is quick and easy is individually packaged snack cheeses. But I gotta admit, they are getting kinda boring already. Anyone have fast, easy snack ideas? (please note: I choose to abstain from almost all artificial sweeteners because of negative health data).Check the Kitchen forum here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

You'll find a lot of recipes for lc snacks that aren't sweetened. Check out Linda Sue's web site, too, for more recipes:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

Hope to see you posting often! :wave: