PDA

View Full Version : 27 Year Old Type 1 Diabetic

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sueszy80
Mon, Sep-10-07, 14:26
Hello everyone!

My name is Susan, I am 27 and have been a type 1 diabetic for 20 years! Yeehaaa! Kidding, of course.
My blood sugar has been out of control for the last 15 years out of those 20. I am very lucky I haven't had any MAJOR complications- knock on wood. I am sick of feeling like crap and don't want to be berated and looked down upon every time I go to the doctor. My A1C is never under 10. I am terrified to check my blood sugar because it seems no matter how hard I try I just can't keep it under control.
This lo-carb diet actually makes perfect sense for a Type 1 diabetic. I mean, if I eat a ritz cracker it seems as though my sugar jumps through the roof! That's how sensitive I am. I have been doing lo-carb for about a week now and already feel a little better. I also have an impossible time losing weight with all the insulin I give to compensate for the carbs. I have lost 2 pounds this past week!
My biggest concern is all the fat I am eating. I just have a hard time believing that all this fat will not cause major heart problems. What do you all think about eating cheese? Allof a sudden I feel like I'm addicted, but feel like I eat way too much, even for lo-carb.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Susan

Kisal
Mon, Sep-10-07, 20:30
Welcome, Susan! It's nice to have you here with us! :)

Congratulations on making a decision to better your life. You won't regret it. :thup:

Koalaty
Mon, Sep-10-07, 20:44
welcome!

I was dangerously close to becoming a Type II diabetic when I started (at least I think I was). I feel great now. I've checked my sugar several times, and I've never had a reading over 95 since I started. My fasting sugars are in the 70's.

I know what you mean about the crackers, I had to monitor my sugar with my last pregnancy, and I couldn't eat anything like that without going through the roof!

As for cheese, if you're trying to lose weight, too much might stall you. If you're just doing this for blood sugar control, you'll probably be okay.

muffles
Mon, Sep-10-07, 22:00
Yeah, it's hard to get your head around the fat thing isn't it! My suggestion is to get hold of a copy of the protein power life plan by the Eades. Lots of fantastic nutrition info in there.Also have you checked out Dr Bernsteins website? Lots of excellent free info there too.

PlaneCrazy
Tue, Sep-11-07, 04:06
Also, don't forget to check out the diabetes forum here. They are a mine of very useful information and experience.

A lot of doctors who specialize in diabetes are starting to come 'round to this highly reasonable idea that if you stop eating sugar, your diabetes will get better. (duh!)

There are several good books out there regarding low-carb ways of eating and controlling diabetes. Ask around in the forum for some good suggestions.

Welcome!

Plane

WH1968
Tue, Sep-11-07, 06:14
Welcome to the forums... glad you are here...

T-man