PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ladybug419
Fri, Aug-31-07, 08:40
Hello, :wave:

I'm new and have never done this before. I mean entering things on a thread, not dieting. Dieting I've done almost my entire adult life. When I don't diet I'm usually overweight.

Started a version of Kimkins just from reading Woman World Magazine back on June 12th. I've lost 28 lbs., 9 lbs. the first week. Have gone off it a few days every couple of weeks. I know to lose weight fast on low carb you have to get your body in Ketose. Does anyone know if it is good or not to keep going off and then try to get back on. From my Ketose Strip I can only reach small amount. I think just from reading threads last night I'm eating way too many carbs. I'm tired of eating eggs so I need some help for breakfast and lunch menu's that I can take to work. Has any one had success losing while eating cottage cheese and or some fruit?

I should re read Atkins it's been about 3 years since I read the book. But I need more choices or I'm afraid I'll get bored and stop. I've had success on Weight Watchers but losing only 1 lb or 2 a week doesn't do it for me any more. I think that WW is the way to go after you get to you goal weight because of the variety of foods.

So I need some help and suggestions, in the meantime I will continue to read threads and I'm sure I'll get some good advice and help.

Thank you all and have a wonderful day!

Kisal
Fri, Aug-31-07, 11:55
Welcome, Ladybug! It's nice to have you with us! :)

If you register any color at all on the ketone test strips, then you're in ketosis. For some individuals, registering deep purple can indicate that they are dehydrated.

I don't know the answers to your questions about going off and on the diet, or about eating fruit and cottage cheese. I suggest, though, that regardless of the plan you select, you buy the book for it and follow it as it is written. If the food choices on Atkins don't suit you, perhaps you should investigate Protein Power or South Beach.

You can eat anything you want for breakfast and lunch. It doesn't have to be eggs. Yesterday, for instance, I had a salad with smoked salmon for breakfast. Check the Kitchen forum here at http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2. All the Induction approved recipes are on a sticky at the top of each sub-forum. Also check out Linda Sue's site at http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html. All the Induction acceptable recipes there are marked with an asterisk (*).

+35-65
Fri, Aug-31-07, 12:50
I've had success on Weight Watchers but losing only 1 lb or 2 a week doesn't do it for me any more. I think that WW is the way to go after you get to you goal weight because of the variety of foods.
Just my opinion, but this is exactly what is going to get you in trouble. Losing a pound or two per week is very healthy and shows that your body is adapting well to your new WOE. And changing plans after you hit your goal weight is a recipie for disaster. That's when the weight returns because you haven't learned a new WOE. My best advice is to work on identifying a plan that you can stick with for the rest of your life. There are little things you can do for jump starts or to break stalls, but your general plan should be life-long.

Sorry if that came across like a lecture. I just want to see you be successful so you don't have to keep dieting for the rest of your adult life!

As far as cottage cheese goes - A+ in my book. Fruit is incredibly healthy, but I find the sugar a bit triggering, so I am very careful when I eat it (but I still have some every day!)

Baked salmon and cream cheese (reminiscent of lox) is a great breakfast. I spread it on cucumber slices or a lettuce leaf. Also, just like breakfast foods are good for dinner, dinner foods are good for breakfast. Nothing wrong with a chicken breast to start your day!

I wish you all the success in the world! Welcome and I hope you will find the wealth of information here useful and motivating.

ladybug419
Fri, Aug-31-07, 13:10
Thank you for your help. I don't feel like anyone would be lecturing me because I'm new to this low carb stuff and need all the advice I can get. I just have to keep reading and trying new things. Again thank you.