PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Rarebit Muffins (Carbquik)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gwynne2
Thu, Aug-23-07, 14:03
This is very rough so far, attempting to adapt from Nigella Lawson's welsh rarebit muffin recipe here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36379,00.html?rsrc=search

First of all, I halved the entire recipe and made six muffins. I also didn't use any of the leavening products, as I assume CarbQuik has them.

So:

2/3c carbquik
1/3 c flax meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder (I didn't have the english stuff, just regular)

1/4 c shredded cheddar (roughly)
1/4 c sour cream (for yogurt)
1/4 c (actually, it was less) Hood milk (could use cream, I'm sure)
1/2 beaten egg
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
3 tbs canola oil (not sure why she uses vegetable oil for this, Nigella is usually all about the butter...but I went with it.)

Followed her assembly and baking instructions, but I only used a tiny bit of cheese for garnish, and skipped using any additional wooster sauce.

This is my first carbquik experiment. I know a lot of people can't use it, so I'll be monitoring my ketosis/cravings.

These were really awesome. If you like that cheddar/mustard/kick of wooster sauce taste of welsh rarebit, these deliver it without having to go too far with a bunch of cheese sauce.

I have never tried the original recipe to compare. Am trying to evaluate carb quick and also come up with some sort of savory breakfast muffin I can take to work.