PDA

View Full Version : Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kebaldwin
Wed, Aug-22-07, 15:05
Millions of Americans Not Receiving Treatment for Debilitating Menopause, Chronic Fatigue and Other Aging-Related Maladies Because They Don't Know Where to Get Help-Local Physicians Assert Hundreds of Thousands in Utah Alone Deprived of Life Changing Relief Offered By Restorative Hormone-Balancing Treatment Simply Because They Don't Realize It's Available

Business Wire

08-22-07

SALT LAKE CITY, Aug 21, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- An estimated 30 million American women are currently in the menopause life stage with its often-attendant hot flashes, night sweats, extreme depression, incontinence, chronic fatigue, and tendencies for osteoporosis, uncontrollable weight gain and other serious medical issues. To many of those millions experiencing negative menopause symptoms, life can be unbearable, with no apparent relief.

Medical practitioners agree these issues are related to hormone imbalance, but relatively few Americans are aware of a treatment regimen known as Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) that has had significant success in treating menopause and other hormone imbalance illnesses. These hormones, generally produced from plant products, mimic the body's own hormones structurally and chemically; hence the designation bioidentical.

Dr. Robert B. Jones and Dr. Kirk Moore, who operate the Center for Hormone Therapy in Draper and have one of the largest BHRT practices in Utah, are concerned that thousands of Utahns are suffering needlessly because they are not aware of BHRT. A related concern is that the public confuses natural bioidentical hormone therapy with synthetic hormone imitations that can have serious side effects.

"We normally see 10 to 20 new patients per week in our clinic who are urgently seeking help," said Jones. "After gathering a comprehensive medical history and completing necessary lab work our medical staff prescribes a regimen of natural hormones with molecular configurations identical to the hormones they're lacking. The results are consistently effective and positive. But patients often tell us they were not previously aware of BHRT or had rejected treatment because they confused BHRT with synthetic hormones. It is a source of frustration to them that they suffered so long, unnecessarily."

"Because of health risks associated with traditional hormone therapy, I decided to just live with the symptoms of menopause," said Colette Malan, an Ogden Licensed Clinical Social Worker. "But after a year's rollercoaster of relentless hot flashes, day and night sweats that drenched me and then left me freezing, insomnia, extreme fatigue, loss of memory and mood swings, I found myself unable to function in my career and my daily life. I sometimes felt I was losing my sanity and became obsessed with finding relief. After much searching, I was introduced to BHRT. Remarkably, it alleviated my symptoms without the health risks. I have my life back and am experiencing a bonus I hadn't expected: a consistent sense of well-being and an increase in my sexual desire."

Prospective hormone replacement users should be advised of the significant differences between bioidentical hormones which have provided high levels of patient satisfaction, and pharmaceutical company-manufactured synthetic hormones which have a track record of harmful side effects.

In 1996 the National Institutes of Health launched The Women's Health Initiative (WHI), designed to provide data regarding the risks and benefits of synthetic hormone replacement. A section of the study dealt with the use of Prempro - a combination of synthetic estrogen and progestin. This portion of the study was halted nearly three years earlier than planned because data indicated that those using Prempro experienced a 26 percent increase in breast cancer, a 41 percent increase in stroke, a 29 percent increase in heart attacks, a 22 percent increase in total cardiovascular disease and a 100 percent increase in blood clots versus the placebo group.

The WHI disclosure sent shock waves through the medical community and the hundreds of thousands of women taking Prempro who realized they might be seriously at risk. It has also created substantial demand for menopause alternative treatments. BHRT providers believe they effectively address that demand.

About The Center for Hormone Therapy:

The Center for Hormone Therapy is a medical wellness center providing bioidentical hormone therapy, nutritional supplementation, and weight reduction services. Operated by Robert B. Jones D.C. and Kirk Moore M.D., the Center serves women, men, and youth throughout the United States and is located at 826 East 12300 South # 4 Draper, UT 84020, telephone: 801-576-1155, fax: 801-523-2547

SOURCE: Center for Hormone Therapy

CONTACT: For the Center for Hormone Therapy Russ Parker, 801-619-6441 E-mail: russ.parker~comcast.net

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=5755&Section=AGING