PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Out There Hypoglycemia - I am New

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cghouston
Mon, Aug-20-07, 16:32
Hi Everyone Out There,

Not sure how I found this Forum today...but here I am. I have had hypoglycemia for about 8 years now and for some of you that do not know what that is...it is the opposite of diabetes....I make too much sugar for my system, so when I eat too many carbs....then my body makes more and I become very dizzy, lightheaded, sickly like the flu and exausted tired and get bad headaches. And grumpy. I am on a strict carb ATkins type diet but not because I want to be. I am less than 120 lbs and 5'3" so weight is not my problem. I eat mostly all kinds of meat, fish, poultry without all the seasonings, so pretty plain, and then with low carb vegetables. I eat very little fruit because there are too many carbs...like maybe one or two strawberries...and that's it. I can't eat starch or sugar..so no bread, no rice, no potatoes, no candy of course, no coffee or decaf....and recently in the last couple of years I have established food allergies...so very little nuts and hardly any cheese. It is very hard to get thru the days sometimes, and I have to carry food with me all the time because I am hungry about every two - three hours...very hungry. So, that is my plight in life. At one time in my life I had some very stressful things happen and I used to pigout and overload on carbs, candy, caffein and I am sure my adrenal glands, etc. couldn't take it anymore, thus, my condition. So...a warning to all of you out there...be careful....because some day you might get like me...and I wouldn't want to curse this upon anyone. So..the reason for my intro...is to see if anyone else out there has this condition. I have found one friend that has the exact symptoms I have, just not the allergies. I am sure there are others out there like us....so respond if you want....would love to hear from you. I wish there was a cure for this....the only nice thing is I am slim....but most of the time I feel like crap....
Best to all of you,
Cheryl In California

JAnn
Mon, Aug-20-07, 22:08
I was diagnosed years ago. During the test I had a 99 point drop in 2 hrs. It was a terrible experience. I have been LCing for years as it has really made a difference. I can now go hours without eating. I no longer have "episodes" where I lose control of my emotions (scary for me and everyone around me!).

There is a great variety of things you can eat on the LC WOL so enjoy.

Kisal
Tue, Aug-21-07, 01:34
Welcome, Cheryl! Nice to have you with us! :)

I don't have hypoglycemia now, but I did when I was in my late 20s. You will meet many members here who have it.

jschwab
Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:57
My husband has the symptoms not the diagnosis and has given up a lot. Additionally he cannot eat wheat and dairy due to allergy. He is likewise slim but doing Atkins and doing much better. He needs to eat so often.

Janine

Lose100UK
Thu, Aug-23-07, 07:00
Cheryl

I am 49 and started having hypoglycemic symptoms as you descibe when I was 21. It was no diagnosed till I was 42. From age 21 to 42 it just got worse and worse, until by 42 I was home-bound, agoraphobic because of the constant panic attacks, suicidally depressed and 100% hopelessly hooked on Coca-Cola and chocolate, which I consumed all day long.

I had also eaten my way up from 140 pounds to 340+.

Thank God for Dr Atkins.

Ann1231
Thu, Aug-23-07, 10:08
my son and I are both hypoglycemic. LC has helped us both more than I can say. Neither of us have episodes unless we have had too many carbs, which is a very rare occurrence anymore just because we feel too good without them!