PDA

View Full Version : How I Fell Off the Wagon

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

GoPounds14
Tue, Feb-19-02, 09:58
When I introduced myself, someone was interested in knowing how I fell of the wagon, and gained the weight back. So, I thought I'd share.

I stayed with the PP plan for about a year after reaching my goal weight, and had no problems maintaining. The slide started innocently enough, some ice cream here, some bread there. Coupled with a nagging doubt that eating this way long-term could not possibly be the best way to live. Within 6-months, I had gained back more than half of the weight I had lost. Also, in the last 4-5 months, due to work pressures, I would eat what I could pop into my mouth quickly, which for me, means carbs and junk. So, now I have almost as much weight to lose as I did when I started PP a couple of years ago.

I'm in the process of rereading PP, and I'd like to get their new book. I'm rereading because I've discovered that I need the reinforcement of the program. And, because I've forgotten things like how much protein to eat at each meal, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out if this plan is OK in the long run. Perhaps more experienced people could help me out on this. I do see my doctor regularly and all tests have come back fine (when I was on the plan before). All I know is, I felt better when I followed PP, I had more energy, I didn't crave foods in between meals--just a general sense of feeling better.

Louise V
Thu, Feb-28-02, 07:16
Gopounds14!!!!
I'm sad for you that after all that work you gained back your weight, but at the same time it was a learning experience.. I do believe as with any diet you may choose that it has to become your WOL as soon as you go back to the eating habits that brought to this weight, you will gain back. I've been on PP for almost 2 years and I feel great! I've been getting regular check ups, and my DR. is very impressed with my results,my numbers are all right on...He's told me to keep up what I'm doing!!!!!
Have a great day
Louise

Bigshot
Thu, Sep-23-04, 21:41
Yes do read PP first book because I feel that it is the most important. Ptotein Power Lifeplan to me only serve to reenforce what they said in the first book. They also include suggestions and recommendation but the concept is the same as in the first book. The Eades go in great depth to prove to the reader that we are meat eaters omnivores and that we have not evolved enough genetically to properly ingest grain products. After reading the second book, I found it a lot easier to abstain from eating breads, doughnuts,cereals and all of the grain derivatives. PP works good for me and I keep it simple. If I ever regain 10 lbs back, I will re read those two Eades books again.

Kristine
Fri, Sep-24-04, 11:01
Hi and welcome. :wave:

I'm still trying to figure out if this plan is OK in the long run. Perhaps more experienced people could help me out on this.

I think you've already done a very good job at figuring that out yourself:

Within 6-months, I had gained back more than half of the weight I had lost. Also, in the last 4-5 months, due to work pressures, I would eat what I could pop into my mouth quickly, which for me, means carbs and junk.

How could that be okay long term? :idea:

Low carb is more than "okay:" it is optimal. We were meant to eat the kind of whole foods diet that PP and other LC plans advocate.

Good luck. :thup:

BawdyWench
Sat, Sep-25-04, 14:08
I've been LCing for 5 years now, and my numbers are better than ever.

drower
Fri, Oct-08-04, 12:48
I have a brain tumor and petit mal seizures. There have been studies done that show when children follow a low carb, high fat diet they can reduce their seizures. See this article:http://www.lowcarb.ca/articles/article153.html
I don't know how many studies have been done with adults, but I consulted my neurologist and told him I wanted to try it. He said it was worth a try.

When I eat carbs, my punishment is that I get more seizures. So that's my reason for staying away from the carbs. My family loves to tell him how unhealthy this WOL is yet I remind them I do it for a medical reason-and approved by a doctor. I have low blood pressure and good cholesterol numbers. I stay more satisfied on a low carb diet. I was a Weight Watcher member 10 years ago when they touted a really low fat diet. I was constantly hungry and obsessed about food day and night. My dreams were filled with long dessert tables. I love that I feel full all the time, and my sugar cravings are GONE!

Debora

BawdyWench
Fri, Oct-08-04, 16:42
Debora, these are the posts I love to see. Living a LC lifestyle is not only not bad for you, it improves health! It will take a long time for people to come around, if the general population ever does.

Good luck and continued success to you!