PDA

View Full Version : I could use some advice about calcium/magnesium/potassium

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Citruskiss
Sat, Aug-11-07, 22:25
I'm in this ongoing struggle with serious muscle cramping and spasming for the past few weeks, and I'm really unclear as to what to do next.

I'm taking a cal/mag/potassium supplement - which gives me 500mg calcium, 500mg magnesium and just 99mg potassium per day...that is, when I remember to take two capsules daily. I also try to throw in an extra potassium supplement or two in there when remember.

Meanwhile, the cramping and spasms are pretty severe. Started a couple of weeks ago with those famous middle-of-the-night charley-horse type cramps in my calves...

But then progressed to spasming - mostly in my neck ...sometimes my chest, and spasming in my legs too.

I guess my question is this - how much potassium would you suggest in this situation? At most, I might get 3 x 99mg supplemental potassium daily - and that's rare, and only on a good day. Sometimes I only remember to take one of the cal/mag/potassium supplements that I picked up - meaning, I'll get 250 calcium/250 magnesium and about 50 potassium.

The cal/mag part of the supplement is a 1:1 ratio, which is what was recommended in a book I read recently - "The Protein Power Lifeplan".

Previously - when I first started Atkins - I got those leg cramps, and took a cal/mag supplement, but it was a 2:1 ratio. Back then - all it took to clear up the cramps was the one cal/mag supplement, the one potassium supplement and a standard multi-vitamin.

This time - it's not going away...it's getting worse, and I'm not really clear just how much extra cal/mag/potassium supplementation I need to fix it.

Really getting sick of this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Sara

Linda85
Sun, Aug-12-07, 02:08
Sara, Your old supplements plan sounds like it, at least, worked.

The new ratios in taking your PPLP various supplements may not be right or just may not agree with your body. I'm not familiar with the book "The Protein Power Life Plan" that you referred to, so I don't know if it's OK information wise.

Never heard of those symptoms (neck & chest spasms), though, as being related to calf muscle charley horses, but I may just never have heard of that happening. And maybe they are possibly just totally coincidental separate minor aggravations like a tension neck ache (reaction to being tense about the calf cramps/pain, along with maybe a pulled rib ligament or chest muscle perhaps from exercise??

Many things, supplement-wise, are forgiving if we take a little too much, but there are some things that folks can take TOO much of, to the point that it can, for some people, cause problems. I hope this all passes and that you feel better soon.

If you weren’t having chest “spasms”, I’d say that doing a Google on what helps charley horses might give some clues about what is considered best ratio-wise for all those supplements. See what your pharmacist/doctor thinks since your charley horses are apparently so severe.

If you keep having the chest "spasms" though IMHO it would not be wise to ignore it---just in case you are having some sort of heart problem. Maybe the doctor will tell you that you just need to change the amount on one of them and it'll all be OK. Otherwise please check with your doctor and good luck.

Zuleikaa
Sun, Aug-12-07, 07:21
Chest spasms I would see a doctor for; it's not something I would recommend supplements for. Better to get it checked out.

OTOH chrarley horses; that I can deal with. When I get cramps I take 3 potassium/1 magnesium; the cramps stop within a minute. On a normal daily basis I take an average of 6-9(99 mg each) potassium pills a day, more when cramps occur. Since the RDA for potassium is about 1500 mg I think that's well within the safe zone.

You could also get "Lite" salt which is a combo of sodium and potassium chlorides and use that to salt your foods.

For me, extra mag helped more than extra calcium.

MorganMac
Sun, Aug-12-07, 07:43
I would strongly recommend that you consult your doctor. Magnesium and potassium can cause problems when they are deficient but also when there is too much in the system. Both of them effect cardiovascular function and that's just not something to overlook.

The neck / back / chest muscle spasms are definitely not normal and taking too much potassium / magnesium to try to counteract the muscle spasms can lead to some very dangerous things.

Best to ask the Doc and be safe :)

Citruskiss
Sun, Aug-12-07, 08:34
Ok, will do. Thanks everyone.

I'll call the doctor tomorrow. See if there's some way to have my electrolytes tested and go from there.

It's entirely possible that the neck spasms are unrelated to the leg cramps. About chest spasms - it's as though the problem with the neck has caused this, but I really don't know for sure. The chest thing only happened once or twice.

I did see my doctor about a week ago for the neck issue. I was expecting to be sent for x-rays or physio some other such thing. At that point it was just the neck, and I assumed I'd wrenched my neck somehow. But he asked me about diet, and commented on my weight loss. He wanted me to bump up my calories, and add nuts, mineral water and vitamins to my regimen. He also gave me some neck exercises to do, and recommended I take an NSAID during the day and a muscle relaxer at night.

Actually, now that I think about it - he did say if it wasn't gone or substantially better within 3-5 days to come back.

I don't think I'm eating badly ...lots of good food, and not 'low-cal'. That said, when I came back from a trip to Mexico where I'd eaten off plan...I came back and got really serious about sticking to induction, and lost a lot of weight in a fairly short time. Then I got leg cramps...and then a few days later, spasming in my neck. I thought the two issues were separate until I saw my doctor last week, and he was asking me about my diet.

Anyway - thanks for the responses. I may take a few extra potassium supplements today, and see if that helps. Instead of just one, maybe I'll make sure I get 3, that sort of thing. And, I *will* see the doc.

Thanks,

Sara

MorganMac
Sun, Aug-12-07, 09:40
Careful taking too much potassium. Too much can be just as bad (if not worse) as too little. Here's an article about it:

Dangers of high potassium levels

One of the dangers of high potassium levels is a condition known as hyperkalemia, or hyperpotassemia. This can be a serious and possibly life threatening condition if not treated promptly. The dangers of high potassium levels can be characterized by weakness, irregular heartbeat, weak & slow pulse rate, paralysis, and difficulty breathing. A professional assessment of the condition is important, and the doctor will recommend an appropriate treatment plan such as reducing the body's total potassium levels and then treating the cause of the hyperkalemia.

Potassium is required for growing, transmitting nerve impulses, building muscles, maintaining heart activity, allowing enzyme reactions, and regulating blood pressure levels. More specifically, it regulates the proper acid-base and water balance in the blood and tissues. Potassium is also used in protein synthesis from amino acids and metabolizing carbohydrates. However, if one is not too careful and the body is unable to rid itself of excess potassium, the dangers of high potassium levels can exist as described before.

Normally, our kidneys would filter and excrete any excess potassium in urine to maintain proper potassium levels. However, the dangers of high potassium levels can exist if this process is not functioning properly. For example, the kidneys can fail to work properly, or one can consume too much potassium such as by consuming potassium salt substitutes. Furthermore, specific types of medication like diuretics can retain potassium in the body and lead to hyperkalemia.

Dangers of high potassium levels can be more prevalent if high-potassium foods such as fruits (specifically, avocados, apricots, bananas, dates, nectarines, oranges, raisins), vegetables (specifically artichokes, parsnips, spinach, tomatoes, yams), whole grains, molasses, clams, cod, halibut, yogurt, and nuts are consumed. Other causes include consuming too many potassium supplements.
(source - http://www.nutrient-world.com/mineral-resource/dangers-of-high-potassium-levels.html)

Citruskiss
Sun, Aug-12-07, 10:00
Morgan,

Thanks for the post - I won't take too many. I'll keep up with the cal/mag/potassium supplement that I already have (this gives me only 99mg potassium if I remember to take both caps - on the bottle it says two per day) and maybe just add one additional potassium supplement.

And again, I'll see the doc and see if my electrolytes need to be tested somehow.

cs_carver
Sun, Aug-12-07, 10:07
No info about where you are, but it has been a brutal heat wave over the past week and there's a sailboat in your picture...

Your body needs about 3500-4000 mg of potassium A DAY. 99mg in a tablet is a droplet in that vast bucket. You can't possibly swallow enough tabs to hurt yourself unless you're also drinking liquor or doing recreational sedatives and block your vomit reflex. You WILL vomit them up if you take more than 5 or 6 at a time. That's partly why they sell them in such rinky-dink doses.

Your body does NOT conserve potassium the way it does sodium.

If you have been outside and sweating, it's entirely possible you are depleted. Eat LOTS of leafy greens with as much lite salt as you can stomach (it tastes nasty pretty fast) and see if that helps at all. No-one ever OD'd on too much potassium from eating lettuce.

Right now, in central NC, I'm taking 9-12 tablets spread over the day with large glasses of water, plus using Lite salt on everything, and I'm about keeping up with need.

Citruskiss
Sun, Aug-12-07, 10:48
Well, I'm eating avocado slices with my eggs here....thanks :)

I'll bump up the veggies today. I've got some spinach and lots of lettuces around.

And yes, it's been very hot around here too. The boat - well that was Vancouver, my hometown, and I'm in Colorado now. That said, I've never really adjusted to the higher temperatures here. Way too hot for my liking, even though it's pretty dry here.

I *have* been working on renovating our house...increased physical activity, increased outdoor temperature, got really strict on my low-carb eating when I got back from my trip to Mexico - and bam....leg cramps, then the spasms...still trying to 'fix' this.

I'm going to go for a really good food day today - loads of veggies, focus on getting enough water and taking my vitamins.

Thanks again.

Sara
PS - cs carver - you're a wealth of helpful information - thank you. I understand now that it would be difficult for me to overdo the potassium.

mike_d
Sun, Aug-12-07, 12:28
They sometimes hit me when I am losing weight (and electrolytes) a good SF sports drink or even cider vinegar with lots of water helps clear it up. I also eat tomato, spinach, mushrooms, fish, yogurt and avocados.

kebaldwin
Sun, Aug-12-07, 16:22
You are way too low on potassium.

According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services (U.S. DHHS), the RDA (recommended dietary allowance) of potassium for an adult is 4,700 milligrams (mg) per day.

Although there is no recommended daily allowance (RDA) for potassium, the National Library of Medicine suggests that consuming 2 to 2.5 grams of potassium a day is adequate. Most Americans consume between 2 and 6 grams of potassium each day

Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) : 3500 milligrams

How's that! Everyne claims the rDA is from 2,000 mg up to a RDA of 4,700 mg! see also

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/aadr-potassium.html

you can also goolge cramps and potassium

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cramps+potassium

You would have to take 30 to 47 potassium pills per day. Go to the grocery store and buy salt substitute. It should be right next to the salt. Main ingredient should be potassium. It's like 600 mg per 1/4 teaspoon.

Other places sell potassium in small packets the size of sugar packets - in case you travel

taste is kind of strong - so you might try sprinkling a little on each meal and work up to 3,000 mg. Don't know that you need to get to 4,700 mg

Since it is summer time and you are sweating more - you will be sweating sodium and potassium out. So you need more in summer than winter. Since salt is already in most processed foods - people usually just add potassium

Daryl
Sun, Aug-12-07, 17:18
I would only add that I would get a blood test first; make sure the kidneys are fine, that the potassium levels are fine, then go to work with the supplements.