PDA

View Full Version : Running from diabetes as fast as I can

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ironmaiden
Thu, Aug-09-07, 19:44
Hi, I am new to posting, but I visited this forum a few years ago when I was trying Atkins. I was trying desparately to lose weight. I lost some weight, but gave up after awhile.
Still, my efforts were not a complete loss. I had experienced swelling in my legs for about two years. I was afraid that I was going to end up twice my size and unable to walk. I dreaded walking from the parking lot into the store. Once I got inside, I would use a buggy to lean on - even if all I got was ice cream, I always grabbed a cart.
I also feared that I might have lymphoedema. My legs remained swollen. I would eat tuna to reduce the swelling and it worked for a few days. Then, the swelling would be right back again. I didn't have ankles. I had cankles. The swelling in my left leg never went down.
Atkins changed all that. My energy level increased and I was not as hungry anymore. I learned that processed foods, like french fries and white bread, increased hunger. It did not satisfy it. Best of all, the swelling in my legs reduced dramatically and didn't return to the same degree it had been, even after I quit Atkins.
Two years later, I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic. My doctor said to stay away from everything white. I tried for awhile and my energy level jumped, but after awhile, I was back at it again. A year and a half later, I began to feel shaky at times. I would get angry if I had gone to long without eating. I also experienced increased urination and excessive thirst.
I bought a glucometer and looked up pre-diabetes. I finally understood what my doctor was trying to tell me. If you are pre-diabetic, you already have a problem, but you also have time.
Pre-diabetes is the red alert light and the sirens are sounding. Diabetes is a killer. The worse part is that often, different parts of your body die first. I have been practicing a low gycemic lifestyle since March. At first, it seemed impossible, but just when I was about to give up, my daughter said, "Mama, why don't you just say, 'Jesus take the wheel." At first I laughed, but those number kept climbing. I thought, I caused the problem, I need to be responsible and fix it. Finally, I prayed and almost immediately, things changed.
I am so sensitive to carbs that the least amount of sugar, wheat or starch increase my levels. If I eat a normal diet, in the morning my level ranges from 134 - 150. That's diabetes level.
It didn't start that way. When I started monitoring, I ranged from 101 to 110. Then I went on a binge while packing my Mom's house and moving her things from Lubbock to Dallas. I just ate whatever I wanted, not more than normal, just three fast food meals a day, complete with protein and carbs - processed carbs. It took me from June until now to get back to lower numbers.
I did it by taking cinnamon tablets and vinegar tablets. But most of all, I severely restricted carbs and refused to cheat. Right now, I am doing Atkins Phase 1.
I just started phase 1 yesterday, combined with exercising, and this morning my level was 104. This is good news. I had been running in the 120s. I had egg salad for breakfast and tuna for lunch. My level after lunch was 99. I will have tilapia for dinner.
My goal is to get my level down to 83. I will do phase 1 until then. I am counting on Atkins to save my life. With Jesus, I know I can make it.
Sorry so long. I guess I needed to purge.

GlendaRC
Thu, Aug-09-07, 20:03
IronMaiden - it's so hard for someone my weight to relate to someone your weight, but I've seen many times here that people do lose the weight they need to lose (some slowly, some faster) and, more important, they improve their health.

I can only wish you much success and encourage you to stay on this way of eating - even when it's slow, it improves health many-fold!!

My prayers are with you... Glenda

Rose1271
Fri, Aug-10-07, 05:54
Welcome! I'm new to these boards as well and have found it a very supportive and friendly place. Please read and post often as it will help you with staying on this WOE. There is so much inspiration to be read and seen here. I know that's what keeps me accountable.

If I can do it, so can you. In fact, anyone can, if I can. I have food issues that I need to work out, but I'm doing it and have lost 20 lbs so far.

This is the best decision you can make for a slimmer, healthier you!

Good luck and happy lowcarbing!

WH1968
Fri, Aug-10-07, 07:02
Welcome... glad you are here.....

T-man

jschwab
Fri, Aug-10-07, 09:42
You'll get there! There are a number of Christian ladies on the board for you to connect with who may have some inspiration. 99 blood sugar is fantastic - before you know it you will be below 99 all the time. Take a look at the triple digits club board - you will find many kindred spirits. I never had crazy blood sugars, but my triglycerides were high (156, now 133) and my last baby was 10lbs 10 oz so I assume I had a little gestational diabetes going on, even if it was undetected. The truth is, whatever our current bloodwork, all of us are susceptible to diabetes (even the ones among us who are thinner carboholics). You can reverse this.

Janine

Ironmaiden
Fri, Aug-10-07, 13:18
Thanks for all of your encouragement. I know it sounds silly, but it makes me want to cry - happy tears. I really appreciate the support.