PDA

View Full Version : need help!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

1leelee
Thu, Aug-09-07, 07:17
Started Atkins a month ago, lost 13lbs first two weeks--have not lost any since. Getting very discouraged. I have been remaining on induction the whole time. The only thing I'm doing differently is having an ATKINS bar every other day that is suppose to only have 2 gr. of carbs. :help: :help:

pennink
Thu, Aug-09-07, 07:30
we, here, call the bars, shakes and other 'non real food items' Frankenfoods.

Throw them away... don't pick another one up unless you're on a deserted island talking to a basketball. And then you'd still be better spearing a fish or eating a bug.

1leelee
Thu, Aug-09-07, 07:39
thanks for support--i assumed since they were "atkins" of course they had to be okay---

shy__anne
Thu, Aug-09-07, 07:43
No those things can really stall you. I had to stay away from them too. The thing that I try to keep in mind is that if it isn't whole I don't eat it. The only exception is the sugar-free Torani syrup I put in my coffee.

Good luck!!!

j_the_p
Thu, Aug-09-07, 09:48
Yeah, seriously read the ingredients on those things. Chemicals wrapped in chemicals.

erinleigh
Thu, Aug-09-07, 09:57
Yeah, most people stall on them. Don't touch them until you've hit maintence and at a happy weight then they are ok. But for losing...not a good choice.

treefrog
Thu, Aug-09-07, 10:04
I don't necessarily agree that eating the bars is the best idea, but I know when I was doing induction I did use them as a sort of dessert. I don't eat them anymore. I think the bars and shakes and stuff are a YMMV (your mileage may vary) - some people can't eat them, but others don't have a problem with them and can do just fine.

There have been a lot of people who say that after the initial loss, they stop losing. I would suggest measuring yourself, you could still be losing inches --- this is a common phenomenon. If you didn't measure yourself before, are you noticing any difference in how your clothes are fitting?

Whatever you do, don't give up or stop eating LC. Continue with this WOE, you will see a drop in the scale. You may even want to increase your carbs a bit. Some people find that when they add 5 or 10 grams of carbs per day, their weight loss increases or continues.

Kisal
Thu, Aug-09-07, 15:44
Welcome, 1leelee! Nice to have you with us! :)

You have received excellent advice here. Best of luck to you! :wave:

kryptiea
Thu, Aug-09-07, 18:58
The bad thing about the bars for me was it stalled me and made me want to eat more sweets.

WH1968
Thu, Aug-09-07, 19:27
I echo what is already said... do it with whole foods.. the frankenfoods will stall you big time...

These forums are a great way to learn from other peoples experiences... glad you came here...

Congrats on the weight loss thus far.. keep up the great work... 13 pounds is a lot for induction.... considering how much you have to lose.

T-man

jschwab
Fri, Aug-10-07, 09:45
If I lose a great deal, my body stalls for a little bit. It always catches up. I know someone else will say it, but those bars are not allowed on induction. I ate them at a certain point (not anymore) and still continued to lose. I did not actually lose anything for the first couple weeks, as I recall. You are already 13 pounds ahead!

Janine

treefrog
Fri, Aug-10-07, 12:18
I think it depends on what bars, as to whether or not they are allowed during induction. Dr. Atkins did allow his meal replacement bars to be used occasionally. If they are the Atkins "candy" bars, then NO, they are not allowed during induction. Also, the OP may not be doing induction any longer, they have been LC for a month.

I'm not trying to say that the bars are great, or that they are the best thing for anyone to eat. But I don't think it is fair to outright dismiss them as being unfit for anyone. Each person will have their own response to them, and they each have to find out for themselves.

If they don't work for "you", fine, but they may be just fine for "me". And if they help me, for whatever reason, I see nothing wrong with using them in moderation.

Just MHO.

1leelee
Mon, Aug-13-07, 08:32
You guys offered a lot more help than I could have imagined. I think this was a great idea to join the site. Thanks to all of you who replied. I need all the encouragement I can get. I have stopped eating the bars. So I hope to notice a difference in the measuring tape or the scale within the next week. My husband and I are both trying to do this for health reasons, so i hope we can make it a permanent wol. Thanks