PDA

View Full Version : A hello and a vent

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dawn-Ball
Sun, Aug-05-07, 22:51
I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a couple of days. Today is technically my last day of Atkins, but since I'm away from home for a few more days I'm going to hang out at 20g of carbs and induction foods until I get home and have a better handle on exactly what I'm eating.

I had a diabetes scare (my blood sugar was slow to drop post-prandial, numbness in my feet which turns out to actually be a pinched nerve in my lumbar spine) and atkins sounded like a really, really good idea. DH already followed a moderate carb diet, so it's easy to eat low carb at home.

And now on to my vent. ;)

I'm visiting family. The trip was scheduled before I started on Atkins, and I considered starting induction when I got home, since it's a week long trip. I eventually decided that I would rather start while I had a strong motivator than fall victim to endless procrastination. I underestimated the difficulty of induction while visiting my family.

They eat a low fat, high carb, mostly vegetarian diet. Except for the cookies, ice cream, hot fudge and buttered popcorn with powdered cheese. Which appears to be consumed 3-4 times per day. :thdown: I don't have cravings - but when the house smells like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, it's hard not to think "gosh, that smells good - I bet it would taste good too."

I did really, really well. Other than the day that dinner was steamed tilapia with tartar sauce and I realized after the fact that "dill pickle, mayo and spices" included sugar as the second ingredient of the spices. It seemed sweet to me, and I asked about sugar - apparently I should have read the ingredients first. Ah well - I ate it sparingly and there's no taking it back out of my mouth. I do miss my scale, because I'm not good at eyeballing "yeah, that looks like a medium zucchini to me!"

However - I think I've eaten all the non-cheese fat that was in their house, and most of the fat that I brought with me. It's very, very, very hard to be satisfied on steamed tilapia, pork loin with all the fat trimmed off cooked in a dry nonstick pan and salad greens. I normally only eat an ounce or two of cheese in a day, and today I resorted to all 4 ounces and am still vaguely unsatisfied. I'm drowning my servings of veggie in butter, but I'm remarkably miserable. Oh, and I have one serving of zucchini left before there's nothing but romaine and a tomato in the house for vegetables.

The plan for tomorrow is to go to the zoo - where there's nothing I can eat between induction and allergies while everyone else will be eating ice cream, popcorn and chocolate milk. Yeah, that's going to go well. I think I'll eat a hearty breakfast and take some cheese to snack on. It's only 2 more days. I fly home on Tuesday. I can do this. I will not scarf a chocolate chip cookie. I certainly will not scarf handfuls of chocolate chips, m&ms, potato.. erm, ok.. I'm going to stop now and go drink more water.

It really doesn't bother me that they eat junk. It bothers me that there's very little to eat *besides* junk. I miss my own fridge with an assortment of low-carb veggies, assorted meats in the freezer. I miss having a grocery store I could walk to. I miss having a car to get me to a further-away grocery store.

I think that if I'm still in ketosis when I get home, and don't have any cravings I'll probably say that I successfully completed induction though (assuming no mishaps between now and then). I may have gone over 20g of carb - but I actually think that I tended low. I tracked pretty accurately today, and with increased veggie carbs due to low fat intake I was still under 20.

Kisal
Sun, Aug-05-07, 23:34
Welcome, Dawn! It's nice to meet you and have you here with us. :)

I'm sorry that you had such a difficult time on your trip. Considering the circumstances, it sounds like you did as well as could be expected.

Did I misread your post, that you're giving up Atkins? Or did you just mean you were moving out of Induction into OWL? You've been successful and lost 11 pounds. I think that's pretty good, and you're to be congratulated! :cheer: :cheer:

WH1968
Mon, Aug-06-07, 03:41
Glad you decided to post... like Kisal I'm confused by your post... what do you mean the last day of Atkins... Hopefully you are making this a way of life to control the diabeties and not just a "quick fix"...

Best of luck to you.

T-man

Dawn-Ball
Mon, Aug-06-07, 09:06
Woops! That should have been last day of Atkins induction. :) That's what I get for posting very late at night. Overall I'm really happy on Atkins, especially since those 11lb were all in the first week. I haven't been able to weigh here either, so I won't have a 2 week loss until Weds morning.

I woke up this morning and said I needed to visit a grocery store, so we'll go out in a few minutes and I'll get a bit more veggie and high fat stuff to get me through the last few days. I'm feeling better this morning - sleeping off the inhaled carbs seems to have been a good idea.