PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like okra??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mimami4
Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:51
If you like okra, I have a good recipe.
1/2 an onion (chopped)
2/3 garlic cloves (chopped)
2cups fresh okra (cut in halfs)
1lb ground beef
1 can Rotel (10oz)
1 tsp chili powder
salt/pepper to taste
1/2 cup of water
Fry the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of grease for about 2 mins. Add ground beef and fry until no pink is showing (drain fat out). Add the rotel, chili powder, salt/pepper, water and mix well. Add okra and cook over med/high heat for 15 mins or until okra has softned.
Hope ya'll try it. It's my favorite dish.
Maria

tamarian
Sun, Feb-17-02, 22:30
I love okra, thanks for the recipe :thup:

Wa'il

mimami4
Mon, Feb-18-02, 09:15
Your welcome. It is really easy to make, hope you like it.
Maria

Sandy3
Tue, Feb-19-02, 19:04
Wonder if you could coat okra w/ crushed pork rinds and deep fry..anyone try it..works great w/chicken.

doreen T
Tue, Feb-19-02, 19:25
My experience with pork rinds is that they're not really suitable for deep frying. They don't have the "coat and cling" properties of bread crumbs or a batter unfortunately :(

Mostly, they make a wonderful, crispy topping on baked things. Or for thin fish fillets or pounded veal, pork or chicken filets .. dip the meat briefly in beaten egg, then dip in the finely ground up pork rinds (seasoned as you please) then shallow-fried in fat, turning very carefully with a wide spatula to prevent dislodging the crumbs.

Doreen

mimami4
Wed, Feb-20-02, 07:35
Hello all,
I never thought about pork rinds being used as a coating. I guess i can try and fry my chicken that way? Fried chicken sounds good right about now!
Maria