PDA

View Full Version : KetoStix question.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mcompton
Tue, Jul-31-07, 19:14
ok, used for the first time.
it said a "trace"

is this one of those things where if you were not in ketosis, there would be zero, so even a trace is good? or does this mean I need to cut carbs more...

I did the test middle of the day, is it like a prego test where you should do it first thing in the morning?

Thanks

Koalaty
Tue, Jul-31-07, 19:27
everyone is different. When I test in the morning I get a small amount. But it is like a pregnancy test in that either you are or you aren't. So trace means you are. You might try testing at other times of the day. Some people never get more than a trace amount and still lose, and others get deep purple and are stalled.

Ghoulia
Tue, Jul-31-07, 20:33
I don't get jack crap in the middle of the day or before bed because of all the water I drink, however, in the morning? WATCH OUT! Dark purple!

Some say they can get purple even WITH drinking a pile of water, but mama ain't one of 'em.

Try it in the morning.

Oh, and yes, even a trace is good.

Julia

sjtmiller
Tue, Jul-31-07, 21:52
If you turn them any color, that's fine for the purposes of Atkins.

However, they don't work for everybody, so don't rely on them for anything except for entertainment.

Trisha5813
Wed, Aug-01-07, 06:41
My sticks are resting nicely in the bottom of the trash heap. I never showed hardly a trace on those damn sticks and yet I was losing weight. If you want to use them fine, but don't let them rule your life. They can be very discouraging. Just my opinion!
Trisha

pennink
Wed, Aug-01-07, 06:51
you don't have to show to lose... that's not what they're for. They monitor only if you're urine shows ketone output. Do low fat/calorie counters show? no, but they do lose.

use them in the beginning to get a feel for what ketosis feels like (the absence of hunger is a sure sign), and then if you eat anything new or cooked by someone else to see if it had hidden carbs.

Fast one day and you'll be deep purple, boy oh boy.

sunris1965
Wed, Aug-01-07, 07:18
I am one of those that are showing dark colors on the stick but no weight loss. I am getting very frustrated. I am eating on plan and not really eating much at all, but the scale is not moving.

calico32
Wed, Aug-01-07, 08:51
A few years ago, I noticed the higher my carb levels got, the less the stick turned purple. After a while, the sticks did not turn at all, but I was still losing weight and showing other signs of ketosis.

I use the sticks when I slip up and have to start back at induction levels. That gives me quick good feedback that I'm on the right path. Otherwise, I don't waste my money.

pennink
Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:39
I commented in your journal Sunris!