PDA

View Full Version : What I learned last summer

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LC Lulu
Sun, Feb-17-02, 16:27
Last summer I had been lowcarbing for two years, and lost a total of about 45 lbs, most of which came off the first year. So that would be a "stall" of about a year. I don't like calling it a stall, I'm just preparing for maintenance :-)

Let me preface this with saying my reason for eating low-carb is that I feel great eating this way, more energy, no heartburn, all those things we all know and love about our WOE... along with my history of dieting (mostly low-fat, ultra low-fat, WW, etc)... knowing that when I "diet" I never make "goal" and needed to simply change my eating habits forever and not get hung up on weightloss... This is a psychological thing for me and has worked to keep me from those terrible binges that come from feeling deprived or feeling guilty.

Anyway, last summer, after reading a lot on the Texas LC list, I decided to see if dropping dairy would have any effect on my year-long "maintenance practice." Up till then I would have a protein shake every day for breakfast (Caroline's famous shake -- cottage cheese, cream, protein powder, eggbeaters... and I added instant coffee and SF vanilla syrup for a frozen latte-like shake).

I gave those shakes up, stopped buying cheese, and started eating a chicken breast grilled w/ olive oil every day for breakfast... started having "paleo punch" -- recipe in Protein power -- mostly frozen blueberries, raspberries and strawberries blended up with some water and a little sweetener. Lunch was usually another chicken breast and a red bell pepper cut into strips (or a can of tuna w/ mayo). Dinner was the usual... a hunk of meat and salad or some kind of veggie.

The scale moved significantly for the first time in months! According to Fitday, I was eating an average of about 1700 calories a day, about 500 less than my average before the experiment.

Eventually, however, dairy made its way back in to my life, and although I have cut down quite a bit, I have bouncing around the same 6-7 pounds for months.

What have I learned? If I really really want to lose weight I need to cut out the dairy and processed meats, and probably cut calories down to about 1700. Do I want to? I don't know. I think about it a lot, I make little attempts to start... but this WOE for me must be something I can do for a lifetime. I'm not sure I can live without cheese and some half and half in my coffee for a lifetime. I guess I need to decide if I can be comfortable at my present size or if I want to go "all the way" -- but that brings up those old diet monsters I described above.

Meanwhile, here I am, maintaining as usual, enjoying my dairy...

razzle
Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:14
hi lulu. Congratulations on your loss and your very wise attitudes. After a lifetime of dieting, I think those are harder to find than the weight loss! Focusing on the health benefits of this new WOL is a great way to think of the process.

I too think that sustainability is more important than getting down to some socially-approved weight. If you feel great, can do everything you want physically, enjoy your life, that's what matters!

Have you experimented with having dairy only on weekends? For myself, I've found that if I have bacon only on weekends, I enjoy it a lot, don't feel deprived, but don't get that daily dose of high salt from regular bacon-eating. It might split the difference for you, keeping you feeling satisfied but also allowing for some slow loss.

I love paleopunch--froze a lot of organic berries last summer and have it now usually as sorbet rather than the slushie version. :)

Keep up the good work! You've done great.

LC Lulu
Tue, Feb-19-02, 23:18
Thanks for the positive words, Razzle!

I really like your idea of limiting dairy to weekends! I will give it a try and let you all know how I do.

Keep on keepin' on!

Lulu :wave: